How can I delete the desktop picture list

August 10, 2005 5:21:03 PM

How can I delete the desktop picture list in display. Although I had removed
the actual picture file, the picture still shown in desktop tab in display.
where is the file located? How to remove it from system.

Thanks.
August 11, 2005 3:40:21 AM

Hi,

Check here:

The pictures that show up under Display Properties, Desktop are located in
these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Another checkpoint:

Also, go to: Start/Run then type in:
"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"

To hide and/or remove/relocate:

Under My Computer scroll down to Shared Documents/Shared Pictures. If
Shared Pictures is listed, remove it.

TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Workarounds:

Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from My
Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My Pictures
folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within My
Pictures.

Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 117

Disable Default Save As to My Pictures (Line 263)

Add Folder to Start Menu to replace/re-route My Pictures (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP