I have 1Gig of RAM on my XP Home OP system.
When I run , Help and Support, My Computer Information-Status, Memory
Detected, shows only 512 MB. Is this some kind of system limitation. Is my
system using the full Gig. If so where will this show. How do I know.
--
Onward through the fog

CentralCal

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2005

Did you just add some ram or did you always have 1gb? If you just instaqlled
more, does your mobo support more that 512? Can you check your bios and see
if you have to set the amount of ram manually? You can also press
ctrl+alt+del and look at the Performance tab and see what your physical
memory reads. Good luck.

"Shumandu" <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 1Gig of RAM on my XP Home OP system.
> When I run , Help and Support, My Computer Information-Status, Memory
> Detected, shows only 512 MB. Is this some kind of system limitation. Is
> my
> system using the full Gig. If so where will this show. How do I know.
> --

Download Memtest86+ and make sure all your memory modules are working.

http://www.memtest.org/#screen

Memtest86+ will also let you know whether or not your "1GB" of RAM is
actually two 512MB memory modules running in dual-channel mode.

Carl

In news:6919DCAF-1D85-4715-B2B9-FE01C2D21530@microsoft.com,
Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have 1Gig of RAM on my XP Home OP system.
> When I run , Help and Support, My Computer Information-Status,
> Memory
> Detected, shows only 512 MB. Is this some kind of system
> limitation. Is my system using the full Gig. If so where will
> this
> show. How do I know.

There's a known bug in this area. Hold down the Windows key and
press Pause/Break. If it says 1GB there, all is well and there's
nothing to worry about.

Please reply to the newsgroup

My computer came with 1Gig memory.
I am using two of three slots.
I can physically see two 512MB RAM cards installed.
Nero info says I have 1023MB RAM.
I ran a system scanner provided by the memory people at Crucial
Technologies. The scanner says I have a total of 1024MB installed and the
mother board will support up to 1536MB (I think it will actually support
3Gigs).
However when the Crucial Scanner maps the slots it only shows 256MB
of DDR PC 3200 in each slot.
Windows Task manager shows a total of 1048048 physical memory.
Available varies around 589136, and System Cache at around 728356.
Very confusing how is one to know how much memory is actually available to
the system?
--
Onward through the fog

"CentralCal" wrote:

> Did you just add some ram or did you always have 1gb? If you just instaqlled
> more, does your mobo support more that 512? Can you check your bios and see
> if you have to set the amount of ram manually? You can also press
> ctrl+alt+del and look at the Performance tab and see what your physical
> memory reads. Good luck.
>
> "Shumandu" wrote:
>
> > I have 1Gig of RAM on my XP Home OP system.
> > When I run , Help and Support, My Computer Information-Status, Memory
> > Detected, shows only 512 MB. Is this some kind of system limitation. Is my
> > system using the full Gig. If so where will this show. How do I know.
> > --
> > Onward through the fog

In, System Properties, under General it shows 1Gig.
--
Onward through the fog

In news:715706D8-BD5B-4A3F-8B78-5148CD5341BD@microsoft.com,
Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> In, System Properties, under General it shows 1Gig.

Then you're fine, and there's nothing to worry about. Just bitten
by a known (and only cosmetic) bug.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:6919DCAF-1D85-4715-B2B9-FE01C2D21530@microsoft.com,
>> Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I have 1Gig of RAM on my XP Home OP system.
>>> When I run , Help and Support, My Computer
>>> Information-Status,
>>> Memory
>>> Detected, shows only 512 MB. Is this some kind of system
>>> limitation. Is my system using the full Gig. If so where will
>>> this
>>> show. How do I know.
>>

>> There's a known bug in this area. Hold down the Windows key
>> and
>> press Pause/Break. If it says 1GB there, all is well and
>> there's
>> nothing to worry about.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Thank you Ken.
Is this bug due to the fact the DDR memory is running dual channel.
If you look at my reply to CentralCal's response, Crucial's memory Test
showed only 256MB in each slot. Could it be reporting only 1/2 of the dual
channel memory bus?
--
Onward through the fog

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:715706D8-BD5B-4A3F-8B78-5148CD5341BD@microsoft.com,
> Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > In, System Properties, under General it shows 1Gig.
>

> Then you're fine, and there's nothing to worry about. Just bitten
> by a known (and only cosmetic) bug.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> >> In news:6919DCAF-1D85-4715-B2B9-FE01C2D21530@microsoft.com,
> >> Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> >> There's a known bug in this area. Hold down the Windows key
> >> and
> >> press Pause/Break. If it says 1GB there, all is well and
> >> there's
> >> nothing to worry about.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup

What does it say if you press WinKey+Pause? What does the BIOS report?
If it says 1024 there and 512 in System then Start, Run, MSconfig and
then select BOOT.INI and advanced options and uncheck "MAXMEM" switch.

In news:72C60163-3FB7-4F40-A291-E9B46766664C@microsoft.com,
Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thank you Ken.
> Is this bug due to the fact the DDR memory is running dual
> channel.
> If you look at my reply to CentralCal's response, Crucial's
> memory
> Test showed only 256MB in each slot. Could it be reporting only
> 1/2
> of the dual channel memory bus?

Sorry, Shumandu, I have no more information on the bug, and I
don't really know what it's due to. Perhaps some else does.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:715706D8-BD5B-4A3F-8B78-5148CD5341BD@microsoft.com,
>> Shumandu <Shumandu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> In, System Properties, under General it shows 1Gig.
>>

>> Then you're fine, and there's nothing to worry about. Just
>> bitten
>> by a known (and only cosmetic) bug.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Sounds like the system is working and using the memory just fine.