Should an M505 synch with older (Handspring) software?

October 22, 2004 1:46:04 PM

My Visor DeLuxe broke and I am trying to migrate to an M500, which my
son bought but is not using. I replaced the Handspring cradle with the
M500 cradle and set all conduits to "Mac overwrites Handheld" (my usual
procedure for a restore). However, the Hotsynch would not start.
Occasionally it crashed the Palm Desktop app. I changed the port
settings (from Handspring to Palm... whatever), to no avail.

I am using Palm Desktop 2.6.1 (or so) and Mac OS 8.6. The M500 hans been
synchinng fine for my son (Mac as well, probably OS 9.1). On my Mac,
synching with the Handspring also usually went well (except when I had
contact problems).

I tried to hard reset the M500 (keeping the reset held down for a
minute) but am not sure I actually managed that. Any special trick to
hard reset these things?

I know my s/w is old, but it has always worked so far so I am not keen
changing it. The Handspring was Palm Os 3.1.3, the M500 is 4.0. Is that
an issue?

Help!

Uli
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 2:44:38 PM

In article <uli_nospam-DFDD4E.09460422102004@news.stanford.edu>,
Uli Wienands <uli_nospam@remove.slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> My Visor DeLuxe broke and I am trying to migrate to an M500, which my
> son bought but is not using. I replaced the Handspring cradle with the
> M500 cradle and set all conduits to "Mac overwrites Handheld" (my usual
> procedure for a restore). However, the Hotsynch would not start.
> Occasionally it crashed the Palm Desktop app. I changed the port
> settings (from Handspring to Palm... whatever), to no avail.
>
> I am using Palm Desktop 2.6.1 (or so) and Mac OS 8.6. The M500 hans been
> synchinng fine for my son (Mac as well, probably OS 9.1). On my Mac,
> synching with the Handspring also usually went well (except when I had
> contact problems).
>
> I tried to hard reset the M500 (keeping the reset held down for a
> minute) but am not sure I actually managed that. Any special trick to
> hard reset these things?
>
> I know my s/w is old, but it has always worked so far so I am not keen
> changing it. The Handspring was Palm Os 3.1.3, the M500 is 4.0. Is that
> an issue?
>
> Help!
>
> Uli

Never mind, turns out that I needed to upgrade to 2.6.3 for the M500.
Everything works now.

Uli
!