No sound from rear audio out on HP DC7800 cmt

SaintAnselm

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,
I'm having problems getting sound to come throughf my powered speakers.
I wiped the 32 bit XP OS and clean installed 64 bit Windows 7 Professional on my HP DC7800 cmt. I also installed an "HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity" (long title!) and powered it with a FSP BOOSTER X5 450W front bay power supply. I connected an ASUS VH242H RT monitor to the video card via an HDMI cable, and although the sound comes through the lousy speakers on the monitor, it will not come through the green audio out port on the back of the computer, which I have connected to a couple of powered speakers.
When I look in the control panel playback tab, the only device listed is the monitor, so I can't even select speakers to change them to default. I restarted the computer after plugging them in and I've looked all around and read of problems with Vpro (whatever that is) and sound. I eventually searched for audio drivers in the search function of the start menu and nothing came up. So, I looked online and there appear to be two different kinds of drivers: "Adi ac97 integrated digital audio driver for windows 7" and the Realtek HD audio driver. I don't know which one of these I should try, and I am further wondering of two different "PC issue warnings" I am receiving are not part of the problem, namely "my version of Intel active Management Technology is not compatible with this version of Windows" and there are "no drivers found" for the PCI serial port and the "PCI Simple Communications Controller." I am new to upgrading computers and had some help from a friend, but I am hoping not to have to bother my very busy friend again with what I thought should have been a simple plugging in of powered speakers. Please advise. Thanks!

If you are not going to us the speakers on the monitor then connect it with a DVI cable and that may free up the selection in the sound mixer to allow you to have the speakers as an option. The fact that your using the HDMI cable is telling the sound properties that you want to connect your sound that way.
I would load the Realtech HD audio driver.