What sealant do I use to mount a woofer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahfern

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi

I've built a speaker out of various parts and need to know what kind of sealant or glue to use to mount the woofer.

Any ideas?

G

There are probably specific products for the job but you might try bathroom silicon sealant. That dries out quickly and the seal can be broken later if you need access.

sarahfern

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks Fihart. Is bathroom silicon sealant the same as Silicon RTV? Like the kind that come in a squirty gun?
I'd appreciate any ideas on what the specific product is that I could use.

G

Dunno what RTV stands for but the squirty gun sounds right. Try any store which supplies things for repairing your home. You don't need as much as you might buy to fix a shower or bath surround so look for a smaller pack (no squirty gun). I don't really know about brands and you are probably in another country. Dow Corning seem to make this stuff.

The ideal sealant is called frost king mortite caulk rope. It is sold at hardware stores to seal weatherstrips, doors, windows.
http://www.amazon.com /Frost-B2-Mortite-Caulking-19-ounce /dp/B000LNODSQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top /182-7823109-4059224
it is installed between the back of the speaker and the cabinet. It does not dry, and allows pulling the speaker out later on, if serviced.
Mortite is putty in rope form, and is ideal for gaskets on speaker cabinets, especially sub woofers.

G

Don't forget that you need to screw the drive units in as well -- otherwise any flexible sealant will decouple the drive unit from the cabinet which may not (or may) be a good idea. Obviously not good if they fall off !

Yes, screw it in, don't forget that. I was talking about the gasket. I have used mortite on woofers in excess of 5,000 watts, and it seals great, especially at ear splitting pressure levels. (run away!)
Reminds me of the EV 32" woofer, but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS