Pavilion Laptop shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljay

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey guys,

I have an HP Pavilion dv5218nr with an Intel Celeron M 440. Recently, as in the past few days, the laptop has been turning off suddenly without warning. At this point it cannot sustain itself for longer than five minutes. It will shut down whether using AC power or the battery only; it doesn't matter. It shuts down in both Windows XP and in the BIOS.

I suspected an overheating problem, and the sensors report CPU temperatures idling between 45-55C. The HDD temps are about 40C. To be honest I don't know if that's high or about standard for a laptop. Either way I don't think 50C should trigger self-termination.

What could be the problem? It's got the symptoms of overheating, but would those temps be able to do it? I'm thinking of opening the case and cleaning the fan, replacing the paste, etc, but...ugh...the assembly is so gross. Trying to avoid it if at all possible.

Thanks

livon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
i don't think so it's that much major problem....first of all you have to check out any windows messed up...may be it's affected from any threats or viruses or other...1

michaeljay

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for responding y'all

Frozen, I removed the hard drive and booted to a CD, and the PC still crashed. Today though I placed the laptop on a cool glass table with some ventilation, and it's been able to run without crashing, a total of 8 hours. So I don't know what to think right now, as the temps before were, as you say, acceptable, but changing the environment seems to have curbed the problem. I'll be back I'm sure :p

director871

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I have a Pavilion 6910us with similar problems. Mine usually won't go past the bios start-up before it shuts itself off. Once and a while I will go a little further but almost never will it go past a Windows start. Like yours it mysteriously booted and ran for 7 hours the other day before shutting off. Can't get it to go that far again though. One thing I noticed is that if I listen to the fan, I can hear it go on, spin down for a second or two and spin back up (it might do this a couple of times) and then it stops altogether and then the computer turns off. I've heard all kinds of things from video chip problem, a CPU problem, and one tech place said I should just buy a new computer. I don't know what to think at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.