Pinbot Displays dead.Any suggestions.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Any help as how to fix this would be great.Ok here is the update.The
game plays 100% all sounds everything just no lit up numbers in the
displays,their totaly dead.Can you tell I'm new at pinballs :) The
display driver on the back of the door is getting the +100,the -100,and
the +5 so i dont know where to go from here.There is no glow in the
corner of the displays either.Is there a culprit chip here or diode
that goes bad that I could check or do I just need to get a new Display
Driver.I read if the blanking signal is off it can cause the displays
to be dim or not work at all.But wouldnt I have the glow in the corner
of the display if that was the case.Also can I test a spare display I
have from a older williams in this just to ensure its just not all bad
displays(something like out of a gorgar)I noticed my Gorgar display
has less wires leading to the digits so I didnt try it same plug
though.All displays bad probly pretty unlikely though huh..Any help
appreciated.....Thanks.....Dave

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

Dave,
Double check the Ribon cable going to the display,
Make sure the red line os going to Pin 1 on both ends
you might just have one of them backwards.

Pin-Del,

Didn't you just ask about this a few days ago????

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
==========================

Dave wrote:
> Any help as how to fix this would be great.Ok here is the update.The
> game plays 100% all sounds everything just no lit up numbers in the
> displays,their totaly dead.Can you tell I'm new at pinballs :) The
> display driver on the back of the door is getting the +100,the -100,and
> the +5 so i dont know where to go from here.There is no glow in the
> corner of the displays either.Is there a culprit chip here or diode
> that goes bad that I could check or do I just need to get a new Display
> Driver.I read if the blanking signal is off it can cause the displays
> to be dim or not work at all.But wouldnt I have the glow in the corner
> of the display if that was the case.Also can I test a spare display I
> have from a older williams in this just to ensure its just not all bad
> displays(something like out of a gorgar)I noticed my Gorgar display
> has less wires leading to the digits so I didnt try it same plug
> though.All displays bad probly pretty unlikely though huh..Any help
> appreciated.....Thanks.....Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Yes,but since then I have tried the different suggestions people said
like looking for glow in the corner of the displays,switching them
around,One guy asked if the game worked also,being one pin off,etc.And
non worked.I am hoping there is some chip on the display driver that
can go bad or something.I just thought their might be some pin guru
that says oh yah check the whatever chip and that should fix it.Or
maybee someone local to Seattle Wa.would have a working display driver
for sale......Talk to you later....Dave

Fred Kemper wrote:
> Didn't you just ask about this a few days ago????
>

> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ==========================
>
> Dave wrote:
> > Any help as how to fix this would be great.Ok here is the update.The
> > game plays 100% all sounds everything just no lit up numbers in the
> > displays,their totaly dead.Can you tell I'm new at pinballs :) The
> > display driver on the back of the door is getting the +100,the -100,and
> > the +5 so i dont know where to go from here.There is no glow in the
> > corner of the displays either.Is there a culprit chip here or diode
> > that goes bad that I could check or do I just need to get a new Display
> > Driver.I read if the blanking signal is off it can cause the displays
> > to be dim or not work at all.But wouldnt I have the glow in the corner
> > of the display if that was the case.Also can I test a spare display I
> > have from a older williams in this just to ensure its just not all bad
> > displays(something like out of a gorgar)I noticed my Gorgar display
> > has less wires leading to the digits so I didnt try it same plug
> > though.All displays bad probly pretty unlikely though huh..Any help
> > appreciated.....Thanks.....Dave

Dave,

You should check this out if you haven't already.

http://www.marvin3m.com/sys11/index3.htm#display

Best,

Jim

"Dave" <arcades@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Any help as how to fix this would be great.Ok here is the update.The
> game plays 100% all sounds everything just no lit up numbers in the
> displays,their totaly dead.Can you tell I'm new at pinballs :) The
> display driver on the back of the door is getting the +100,the -100,and
> the +5 so i dont know where to go from here.There is no glow in the
> corner of the displays either.Is there a culprit chip here or diode
> that goes bad that I could check or do I just need to get a new Display
> Driver.I read if the blanking signal is off it can cause the displays
> to be dim or not work at all.But wouldnt I have the glow in the corner
> of the display if that was the case.Also can I test a spare display I
> have from a older williams in this just to ensure its just not all bad
> displays(something like out of a gorgar)I noticed my Gorgar display
> has less wires leading to the digits so I didnt try it same plug
> though.All displays bad probly pretty unlikely though huh..Any help
> appreciated.....Thanks.....Dave

I would say it's hard to believe that all the displays are dead at
once. Not impossible but hard to believe. I would guess a 6821 died
on the cpu or something is unplugged. Might be a bad ribbon cable on
the cpu. I know these sob's can be tricky, IIRC pinbot had no display
fuse so that's out.... seems to me like a plug off or a bad ribbon
cable. It's very hard to believe that all 4 7180's would die together,
or the 6118's either. I know you said you looked here but make 100%
sure the voltage is right and you don't have it plugged in wrong, bad
plug, etc. If it was me and I was 110% sure every plug was right and
my voltage was a-ok I would move to the 6821 next. Looks like u41 is
the only one that hits all 4 displays and the match credit. If that's
not it u42 does a little for the displays but I seriously doubt that is
your problem. You need one of these for it
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp
and I suggest you socket it in with this
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=44

go to the bottom of the page and get the breakable ones. Ed is
currently out of the 6821's but he might know where you can find one.

VERY IMPORTANT STUFF HERE BELOW........

Make sure 1J22 from the cpu is connected to 4J12 on the master display
board and it's not 4J9, 4J5, or 4J6. Looks like 4J9 AND 4J5 are 26 pin
jacks on the master board as well. Go through the schematics and make
sure jacks and cables are plugged in to the right spots!

Hope this helps, LMK what happens next.

Chris

Did you try another display tube _anywhere_?

IT is possible that all of them are dead.

That was also one of the suggestions.

--
Fred
TX

"Dave" <arcades@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:1119630237.883893.223580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Yes,but since then I have tried the different suggestions people said
> like looking for glow in the corner of the displays,switching them
> around,One guy asked if the game worked also,being one pin off,etc.And
> non worked.I am hoping there is some chip on the display driver that
> can go bad or something.I just thought their might be some pin guru
> that says oh yah check the whatever chip and that should fix it.Or
> maybee someone local to Seattle Wa.would have a working display driver
> for sale......Talk to you later....Dave
>
> Fred Kemper wrote:
> > Didn't you just ask about this a few days ago????
> >

> > Fred
> > TX
> > CARGPB#8
> > ==========================
> >
> > Dave wrote:
> > > Any help as how to fix this would be great.Ok here is the update.The
> > > game plays 100% all sounds everything just no lit up numbers in the
> > > displays,their totaly dead.Can you tell I'm new at pinballs :) The
> > > display driver on the back of the door is getting the +100,the -100,and
> > > the +5 so i dont know where to go from here.There is no glow in the
> > > corner of the displays either.Is there a culprit chip here or diode
> > > that goes bad that I could check or do I just need to get a new Display
> > > Driver.I read if the blanking signal is off it can cause the displays
> > > to be dim or not work at all.But wouldnt I have the glow in the corner
> > > of the display if that was the case.Also can I test a spare display I
> > > have from a older williams in this just to ensure its just not all bad
> > > displays(something like out of a gorgar)I noticed my Gorgar display
> > > has less wires leading to the digits so I didnt try it same plug
> > > though.All displays bad probly pretty unlikely though huh..Any help
> > > appreciated.....Thanks.....Dave

Yea I noticed that in the drawings after I posted it. It's a 1/4 amp
slo-blo fuse. I think there is a suggestuion (marvin3m?) to put 1/10
or 1/4 amp slow blows in the 100v + and - lines to the master display
board. This *might* save some componments on the power supply.

CK

On 24 Jun 2005 21:22:24 -0700, "Joe Mamma" <pinballwizz@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC pinbot had no display fuse so that's out....

No display fuse? No way dude. It's the same one as on all the other sys11
power supplies. : ) Top fuse of the stack of 4.

Richard

Clay's guides recommend installing fuses between the AC input and bridge
rectifiers on some sys11 games - unrelated to the display voltage.

Fire! has the two extra fuses you're thinking about; they're 1/4 amp as well as
the one on the power supply. While in a very sleep-deprived/exhausted condition
last night (just got back from a very long & harsh road trip) I was discussing
it on IRC with someone; trying to figure out why those fuses were present. The
one on the p/s board should protect the HV circuit. I guess the extra two were
added so that in case something went haywire on the HV circuit, the displays
might be spared. Just a guess - I don't have the machine, nor the schems, in
front of me to try to truly decipher the intentions behind the design.

Richard

On 26 Jun 2005 13:00:18 -0700, "Joe Mamma" <pinballwizz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yea I noticed that in the drawings after I posted it. It's a 1/4 amp
>slo-blo fuse. I think there is a suggestuion (marvin3m?) to put 1/10
>or 1/4 amp slow blows in the 100v + and - lines to the master display
>board. This *might* save some componments on the power supply.
>
>CK

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ok guys heres the update.All the fuses are good.Double checked all the
plugs and all are plugged in to the right spots,the red line is going
to pin 1,I didnt hook it up one pin off,and the voltages at the plug
that plugs into the display driver are -97.38 , +99.50 , and +5.02
which according to the things I have read are all within standards.I
have not tried a new display because all I have is a couple from a
Space shutttle.Can I use one of those to test players 3 and 4 since 3
and 4 are not alphanumeric.There is more wires soldiered to the display
glass on the pinbot displays verses the space shuttle displays for
player 3 and 4 is that ok .I dont want to fry anything.Oh and the
correct ribbon cable from the cpu is going to the correct spot on the
Display driver board.Could one of those resisters be fried on the cpu
They all look good.....Thanks for your help.

It should work fine as the connector on the display
has the same number of pins on both games. Display
tubes differ between the various manufacturers, but
they all function the same.

Plug it in with the power off. I assume the display you
have is a known working one?

--
Fred
TX

"Dave" <arcades@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

There is more wires soldiered to the display
> glass on the pinbot displays verses the space shuttle displays for
> player 3 and 4 is that ok .I dont want to fry anything.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The 2 spare displays are known good ones so I'll plug one in when I get
home from work today and let you know what happens.Thanks for the help.

Joe Mamma wrote:
> I am betting on either displays or a 6821 are bad now.
>
> CK

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ok I tried both spare displays and niether did anything totaly dead.So
it has to be something in the display driver board correct.And if the
6821's are next how do you check those and where are they.On the
display driver i see udn 6118's,udn7180's,tc4050's,and tc4001's.Also
there is a resister on the circuit board R57 with a arrow pointing at
it.Does the arrow mean its bad alot ;) Anyway thats it any
sugestions....Thanks...Dave

TRENDING THREADS