Looking to get a DSLR, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eheminger

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Recently, I've gotten into photography. It's not really something I am interested in doing for the rest of my life or anything, but I do like to "just take photos". I've thought about getting a DSLR in the past, and finally think I'm ready to take the leap. The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing.

What I would really like someone to do is basically tell me what they think I should get, and why. I'm not really "set" on a manufacturer, however I'd like to stick with Canon, Nikon, or maybe even Sony.

What I want is the DSLR body itself, a nice lens, and possibly a lens hood. For the lens, I don't really need anything too fancy, but would like something that is very versatile; so I've thought about a wide-angle. My budget is about $750. Yes, I realize it's pretty tight, but I feel like I should be able to get SOMETHING for that price. Also, would you recommend a used camera (i.e. a 60D on eBay)?

Thanks!

adrian arnett

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

I would suggest you keep your money safely in your pocket for the time being. Go and join a local photo/camera club, and get to know a little about the subject then you will be in a position to make a much more informed decision.

Happy snapping

Bark80

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi I'm new here and I'm a photographer so I figured I pay my way forward some by sharing what I know in a few threads.

Get hundred dollar rebel from ebay and a 50mm 1.8. Spend no more than $200. This is for Canon, for Nikon get the equivalent.

OK, for brands the rule I live by is that canon makes lenses, nikon makes bodies, everyone else makes compromises.

Lenses make the image, not the camera. The camera has one job, record. The lens defines the image.

When you get your camera your first goal will be to learn the Trinity. ISO, aperture, shutter. With a rebel and 50mm 1.8 for $200 you will gain the ability to shoot indoors and get good images. The wide angle you are talking about will be good if you want to take images of entire rooms, or landscapes. Typically when people begin they want to shoot their friends and family in their real settings. With a 50mm you basically get what the eye sees. You can keep both eyes open and notice the the image in the viewfinder of a camera and the one you see in real life is about the same. This helps you learn. As you get wider things start to bow. Wall lines curve, people look funny, etc.

I'll just say for canon. I used to shoot Nikon but its been a while.

do get a rebel 300d 350d 400d. These are the XT XS etc. These are amazing cameras to learn on.

Do get a 20d or a 30d. These will boost the size of the camera itself. If you have man hands you will enjoy this much more. Plus the body is made of metal and you get two dials and can control your trinity at your fingers instead of going into menus.

Do not buy anything over $300 for just the camera.

Do not buy any lens except the 50 1.8 first.

DO NOT get sold on megapixels. 6mp makes billboards hands down flat out. Anything more is overkill and a salesman's game. Certain pros need more than 6mp. There are real reasons, but not for ordinary shooters.
Just my thoughts.

patrickwilson86

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

sourabhsharma

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Honestly if i were you i would just buy a camera you would know how to use. If you dont know how to use the settings on a dslr (manual) then why would you waste more money on a camera you have no use for. If you are interested in learning how to use manual then for beginners i would prefer that you buy a Canon T2i, T3i, T4i, maybe something a little older or used like a canon 40d, or a canon 5d mark i. If you want some legit professional gear, then i would go for a canon 5d mark ii or mark iii or even a 7d or a 6d. Search up the features on each one of them if because there are too many to list! but the best canon dslr would be the canon 1d. the next best one would be the canon 5d. i dont really know about nikons much. Sony i would prefer the sony a65. but its a personal opinion about which one you prefer. Go to your local electronic store to test out all of the dslr's that they have and which would fits your preferences!!! Thanks, Sourabh Sharma

sourabhsharma

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Honestly if i were you i would just buy a camera you would know how to use. If you dont know how to use the settings on a dslr (manual) then why would you waste more money on a camera you have no use for. If you are interested in learning how to use manual then for beginners i would prefer that you buy a Canon T2i, T3i, T4i, maybe something a little older or used like a canon 40d, or a canon 5d mark i. If you want some legit professional gear, then i would go for a canon 5d mark ii or mark iii or even a 7d or a 6d. Search up the features on each one of them if because there are too many to list! but the best canon dslr would be the canon 1d. the next best one would be the canon 5d. i dont really know about nikons much. Sony i would prefer the sony a65. but its a personal opinion about which one you prefer. Go to your local electronic store to test out all of the dslr's that they have and which would fits your preferences!!! Thanks, Sourabh Sharma

Status
Not open for further replies.