new motherboard for an old Dell?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
300 MHz. How retro can I one be?

The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
after market boards that I can replace it with.

Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

I'm going to put Linux on it.

Thanks.

Roy

P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?
10 answers Last reply
More about motherboard dell
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    No. That machine used a non standard power supply
    hookup, also it has a proprietary front panel connector.

    "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
    > 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    >
    > The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
    any
    > after market boards that I can replace it with.
    >
    > Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
    >
    > I'm going to put Linux on it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    You might have better luck at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

    If memory serves, it's basically an ATX mainboard, but with nonstandard
    power (separate 3.3V connector), a proprietary front panel connector, etc.

    The Dell case was probably made by Palo Alto Products, but I don't get a
    response from their web site.

    As the XPS 300 dates from 1997, there may not be much point in salvaging
    anything from it. Graphics cards are better, hard drives are larger (and
    faster), CD drives are faster, etc.

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
    > 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    >
    > The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
    any
    > after market boards that I can replace it with.
    >
    > Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
    >
    > I'm going to put Linux on it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Roy Gordon wrote:
    > I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
    > 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    >
    > The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
    > after market boards that I can replace it with.
    >
    > Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

    One thing to be careful of before starting is the power supply. A lot
    of the Dell's use a proprietary power supply connector. They look a lot
    like the standard connectors but the wiring is different. If you have
    to replace the power supply also, which might not be a bad idea as the
    original one may be too small for a newer board, you would be better off
    to get a new case and power supply and your questions are then irrelevant.

    > I'm going to put Linux on it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

    no crosspoting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where it
    was read.

    if it is a dimension dxxx series motherboard that you seek and are willing
    to pay shipping i have a board for you. contact me directly.

    > no crosspoting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where it
    > was read.
    >
    > if it is a dimension dxxx series motherboard that you seek and are willing
    > to pay shipping i have a board for you. contact me directly.

    <snip>

    Christopher -

    You're a good egg. On the subject of the XPS D, would that case (and it's
    wiring pinouts) accomodate an XPS R, T motherboard? (Just the one mb
    retaining screw in the back with mount hooks inside the chassis)?

    I've never had my hands on a "D" model.....

    Stew

    yes it would... in fact other than the front bezel the case for the dxxx is
    the same as the that used for the dimension xps dxxx/txxx/rxxx and dimension
    4100.

    other boards would be a good alternative and also would provide the
    opportunity for faster processors (and memory) to be installed. but the
    4100 is a socket 370 board so the processor from the dxxx won't work.

    even the really old dimension xps pxxxs and mxxxs cases can take newer dell
    boards like those from the dxxx/txxx/rxxx series, but with a couple of
    issues... a small fight with the back panel riser that was much more heavy
    duty in those days and a careful installation of the front panel
    connector... the newer boards are smaller (do not extend from the rear panel
    as far towards the front of the system) than those found in the pxxxs and
    mxxxs and so the front panel connector just reaches the connector on the
    newer/smaller boards... it actually is under tension once connected which
    can't really be good, but it works.

    the vxxx series had integrated video, and i can not recall if that meant
    there was no agp slot on those boards... but the physical size of the boards
    and front panel connectors were the same as the d/t/r series.

    regards,

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > no crosspoting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where
    it
    > > was read.
    > >
    > > if it is a dimension dxxx series motherboard that you seek and are
    willing
    > > to pay shipping i have a board for you. contact me directly.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >

    > Christopher -
    >
    > You're a good egg. On the subject of the XPS D, would that case (and it's
    > wiring pinouts) accomodate an XPS R, T motherboard? (Just the one mb
    > retaining screw in the back with mount hooks inside the chassis)?
    >
    > I've never had my hands on a "D" model.....
    >

    > Stew

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote:

    >You might have better luck at alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

    You didn't peek at the newsgroups line before posting this, did
    you Mr. Knowlden?

    Newsgroups:
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    Thanks, guys.

    I think instead I'll get one of those minimal systems via pricewatch.

    Roy

    "Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > No. That machine used a non standard power supply
    > hookup, also it has a proprietary front panel connector.
    >
    > "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
    >> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    >>
    >> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
    > any
    >> after market boards that I can replace it with.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
    >>
    >> I'm going to put Linux on it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Roy
    >>
    >> P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > Thanks, guys.
    >
    > I think instead I'll get one of those minimal systems via pricewatch.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > "Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > No. That machine used a non standard power supply
    > > hookup, also it has a proprietary front panel connector.
    > >
    > > "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II
    at
    > >> 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    > >>
    > >> The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are
    > > any
    > >> after market boards that I can replace it with.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?
    > >>
    > >> I'm going to put Linux on it.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Roy
    > >>
    > >> P.S. Isn't there a general motherboard newsgroup?

    Roy,

    If you're anywhere near a Microcenter, they have a $29.99 case called the
    PC-132, which comes with an "Austin" 300W power supply. I just got one, and
    it seems to be working fine, and quite quiet, and the case has lots of
    space.

    Re. newsgroups, there's alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt and
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, among others.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I had problems with the motherboard in my XPS 266 about a year ago. Since I had already upgrade my hard drives I got a SOYO Pentium 3 motherboard (ATX) with ISA slots so I could use my old modem and sound card. I also got a larger powers supply; the original was Dell proprietary.

    Roy Gordon wrote:

    > I have an old Dell Dimension XPS 300. That's right, with a Pentium II at
    > 300 MHz. How retro can I one be?
    >
    > The motherboard appears to have croaked and I want to know if there are any
    > after market boards that I can replace it with.
    >
    > Does anyone know the form factor for the m/b?

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Dell Motherboards Computers