reinstalling?

efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
i have 98se, should i reinstall it, its been 3 years, will it help clean some [-peep-] up, maybe make it a little fresher?

Are you planning to format the disk first? If so, and you have adequate backups, that's best. The registry is clean. You have to re-install the hardware and software though, so it can be time consuming.

You can re-install Windows over your existing setup, and it may tidy things up a little.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
no i wasnt planning on formatting, just reinstalling. But it will tidy things up? Will any software/hardware be deleted? Personal settings?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
No everything should stay intact, but you can't be 100% sure with any computer, so have back-ups just in case.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Dave1176

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
format. I think if you want to freshen things up thats the way to do it especialy after 3 years. I can load my system in about 3 hours or less including a few games. Loading the OS over itself may not help to much unless you use the startup disk to boot with then run the setup. That way it would replace all your system files with fresh ones. But Im tend to think something else in my machine that came after the OS wont like that so I format. If you loaded three years ago your hard drive cant be that big.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
3 years = hell of a huge load of leftover junk files and also files got changed a "million" times. I would say format and have a fresh install of OS and drivers, but if you don't have a cdrw to save stuff then buy one (they're so damn cheap now), or get another drive and put your saves on that and then format (20 gig drives are damn cheap too).

I format once every 6 months or so, but I install way too much stuff to try out (I like to try the demos before dishing out the money for the full versions)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Three years? You can't really complain about doing a fresh install. The format and new install would do you best I think.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Also, it'd be in your best interest to get a copy of either Drive Image or Norton Ghost. This way, you can save an image of how your computer is currently set up, then maybe make a few more for after the clean install, after all the drivers and updates are installed, and after all your programs are installed. I'm only saying this because I haven't seen it mentioned, and I image my setups almost religiously.

Bryan