8400 Follow up

Thanks to those folks that gave me their 8400 opinion. The 8400 is in
production and should be here in the next week or so. It should be
interesting to see what I have been missing in some of the games that have
been unable to run on the lowly 2400.

Regards,
John O.

william

what video card did you get? I got mine with the X300 which was just ok, but
since upgraded to X700 and it is great. I only use MS flight sim and it
handles it well.

good luck
Bill

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks to those folks that gave me their 8400 opinion. The 8400 is in
> production and should be here in the next week or so. It should be
> interesting to see what I have been missing in some of the games that have
> been unable to run on the lowly 2400.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

I went for the 6800 with 256 MB RAM. Also they had a free upgrade to 1 GB
RAM, and a free upgrade to the 5.1 5650 speaker system. This should be a
nice step up into a power system.

Regards,
John O.

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> what video card did you get? I got mine with the X300 which was just ok,
> but since upgraded to X700 and it is great. I only use MS flight sim and
> it handles it well.
>
> good luck
> Bill
>
> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> Thanks to those folks that gave me their 8400 opinion. The 8400 is in
>> production and should be here in the next week or so. It should be
>> interesting to see what I have been missing in some of the games that
>> have been unable to run on the lowly 2400.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.

william

wow sweet...that will make you happy forever :)

enjoy it

>I went for the 6800 with 256 MB RAM. Also they had a free upgrade to 1 GB
>RAM, and a free upgrade to the 5.1 5650 speaker system. This should be a
>nice step up into a power system.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>> what video card did you get? I got mine with the X300 which was just ok,
>> but since upgraded to X700 and it is great. I only use MS flight sim and
>> it handles it well.
>>
>> good luck
>> Bill
>>
>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>> Thanks to those folks that gave me their 8400 opinion. The 8400 is in
>>> production and should be here in the next week or so. It should be
>>> interesting to see what I have been missing in some of the games that
>>> have been unable to run on the lowly 2400.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John O.

GRIN..thanks Bill, I suspect some serious gaming is going to be afoot as
soon as the next system arrives.

"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> They lost a sale of a Dell computer to me, for this reason, because no AMD
> Athlon 64 cpu's.
>

> SteveR

I doubt if Michael Dell is home crying tonight because you didn't Steve.

Just curious. If you didn't buy a Dell, why are you here?

Tom

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>
>> They lost a sale of a Dell computer to me, for this reason, because no
>> AMD Athlon 64 cpu's.
>>

>> SteveR
>>

> I doubt if Michael Dell is home crying tonight because you didn't Steve.
>
> Just curious. If you didn't buy a Dell, why are you here?
>
> Tom

Oh please go wipe the Dellbot ink of your forehead, you assume far to much,
I have owned many Dell computers, never paid for any though. The dell
computers
where given to me or trades in on systems that I build for clients.
Intel has it's place in the market and so does AMD, try to think out of your
Dellbot
box sometime.

SteveR

>> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>>> They lost a sale of a Dell computer to me, for this reason, because no
>>> AMD Athlon 64 cpu's.
>>>

>>> SteveR
>>>

>> I doubt if Michael Dell is home crying tonight because you didn't Steve.
>>
>> Just curious. If you didn't buy a Dell, why are you here?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Oh please go wipe the Dellbot ink of your forehead, you assume far to
> much,
> I have owned many Dell computers, never paid for any though. The dell
> computers
> where given to me or trades in on systems that I build for clients.
> Intel has it's place in the market and so does AMD, try to think out of
> your Dellbot
> box sometime.
>
> SteveR

I didn't say the AMD were bad -- in fact they're pretty darned impressive. I
was answering why DELL would likely never use them. They don't need to.

It's interesting. I make a rational cohesive argument and your response is
to call me names.

This is a public newsgroup where users help users.

And you're here for?

Tom

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>>> I doubt if Michael Dell is home crying tonight because you didn't Steve.
>>>
>>> Just curious. If you didn't buy a Dell, why are you here?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Oh please go wipe the Dellbot ink of your forehead, you assume far to
>> much,
>> I have owned many Dell computers, never paid for any though. The dell
>> computers
>> where given to me or trades in on systems that I build for clients.
>> Intel has it's place in the market and so does AMD, try to think out of
>> your Dellbot
>> box sometime.
>>
>> SteveR
>>
> I didn't say the AMD were bad -- in fact they're pretty darned impressive.
> I was answering why DELL would likely never use them. They don't need to.
>
> It's interesting. I make a rational cohesive argument and your response is
> to call me names.
>
> This is a public newsgroup where users help users.
>
> And you're here for?
>
> Tom

To help educate people like you.
Dell considers AMD http://www.littlewhitedog.com/article4044.html

SteveR

And a 6 month old story is relevant how?

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> And a 6 month old story is relevant how?

<snip>

.....and differs from the last dozen or so times Dell has "considered" AMD
how as well. ?

Stew

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> wow sweet...that will make you happy forever :)
>
> enjoy it
>
> Bill
>
> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>I went for the 6800 with 256 MB RAM. Also they had a free upgrade to 1 GB
>>RAM, and a free upgrade to the 5.1 5650 speaker system. This should be a
>>nice step up into a power system.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>
>> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>>> what video card did you get? I got mine with the X300 which was just ok,
>>> but since upgraded to X700 and it is great. I only use MS flight sim and
>>> it handles it well.
>>>
>>> good luck
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message

Dell with Intel CPU's are weak for gaming, if you want the best bang for the
buck, buy a computer with AMD 64 Athlon. AMD rules when it comes to gaming.

Benchmarks for FarCry popular First person Shooter game
AMD vs. Intel
http://216.92.52.205/index.html?modelx=33&model1=64&model2=18&chart=25
Plus you can get a AMD based system for a more economical price than the
Dell.

SteveR

> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>> wow sweet...that will make you happy forever :)
>>
>> enjoy it
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>>I went for the 6800 with 256 MB RAM. Also they had a free upgrade to 1 GB
>>>RAM, and a free upgrade to the 5.1 5650 speaker system. This should be a
>>>nice step up into a power system.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John O.
>>>
>>> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

> Dell with Intel CPU's are weak for gaming, if you want the best bang for
> the
> buck, buy a computer with AMD 64 Athlon. AMD rules when it comes to
> gaming.
>
> Benchmarks for FarCry popular First person Shooter game
> AMD vs. Intel
> http://216.92.52.205/index.html?modelx=33&model1=64&model2=18&chart=25
> Plus you can get a AMD based system for a more economical price than the
> Dell.
>
> SteveR

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Papa, dude ?

Stew

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> And a 6 month old story is relevant how?
>
> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>>> I didn't say the AMD were bad -- in fact they're pretty darned
>>> impressive. I was answering why DELL would likely never use them. They
>>> don't need to.
>>>
>>> It's interesting. I make a rational cohesive argument and your response
>>> is to call me names.
>>>
>>> This is a public newsgroup where users help users.
>>>
>>> And you're here for?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> To help educate people like you.
>> Dell considers AMD http://www.littlewhitedog.com/article4044.html
>>
>> SteveR

Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
Co..
Maybe in year or so they will make it so.

SteveR

And the thread started so innocently too....GRIN...

Regards,
John O.

"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>> wow sweet...that will make you happy forever :)
>>
>> enjoy it
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>>I went for the 6800 with 256 MB RAM. Also they had a free upgrade to 1 GB
>>>RAM, and a free upgrade to the 5.1 5650 speaker system. This should be a
>>>nice step up into a power system.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John O.
>>>
>>> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

> Dell with Intel CPU's are weak for gaming, if you want the best bang for
> the
> buck, buy a computer with AMD 64 Athlon. AMD rules when it comes to
> gaming.
>
> Benchmarks for FarCry popular First person Shooter game
> AMD vs. Intel
> http://216.92.52.205/index.html?modelx=33&model1=64&model2=18&chart=25
> Plus you can get a AMD based system for a more economical price than the
> Dell.
>
> SteveR

"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
<snip>
> Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
> Co..
> Maybe in year or so they will make it so.
>

> SteveR

For a 'pro', you sure don't snip well.

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
>> Co..
>> Maybe in year or so they will make it so.
>>

>> SteveR
>>

> For a 'pro', you sure don't snip well.

LOL like your <snip> that leaves out what I had to say about the matter.
You left out the information about Dell considering using AMD CPU's,
I suppose when it comes to Dell you know more than the Dell Chief Kevin
Rollins
....PLONK....sorry a dellbot don't trump Kevin Rollins......;-)

SteveR

>> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>>

>>> They lost a sale of a Dell computer to me, for this reason, because no
>>> AMD Athlon 64 cpu's.
>>>

> My point exactly, the reason I won't buy a Dell computer. Because Dell
> doesn't yet offer the AMD option for a CPU. Most people that
> self build computer have used AMD for Years.
> Dell needs to offer AMD chipped systems as a choice in addition to Intel.
> The other reason I won't buy a Dell is because it uses Dell specific parts
> for motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc. I won't own a computer
> that uses proprietary parts. I own 4 AMD 64 Athlon based cpu
> systems, Intel or Dell won't get any money from me. I have Dell's
> with Intel CPU's that are given to me, but not for long sell them used on
> ebay.
>
> SteveR

Dell doesn't NEED to do anything. You WANT them to and you BELIEVE they
should, but they're marketing analysis, which I would believe is pretty
sophisticated obviously says there is not a positive return on the
investment.

Tom

SteveR wrote:

> My point exactly, the reason I won't buy a Dell computer. Because Dell
> doesn't yet offer the AMD option for a CPU. Most people that
> self build computer have used AMD for Years.
> Dell needs to offer AMD chipped systems as a choice in addition to Intel.
> The other reason I won't buy a Dell is because it uses Dell specific parts
> for motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc. I won't own a computer
> that uses proprietary parts. I own 4 AMD 64 Athlon based cpu
> systems, Intel or Dell won't get any money from me. I have Dell's
> with Intel CPU's that are given to me, but not for long sell them used on
> ebay.
>
> SteveR

Then why do you waste your time and post to this news group?

>> "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>> Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
>>> Co..
>>> Maybe in year or so they will make it so.
>>>

>>> SteveR
>>>

>> For a 'pro', you sure don't snip well.
>>
> LOL like your <snip> that leaves out what I had to say about the matter.
> You left out the information about Dell considering using AMD CPU's,
> I suppose when it comes to Dell you know more than the Dell Chief Kevin
> Rollins
> ...PLONK....sorry a dellbot don't trump Kevin Rollins......;-)
>
> SteveR

Golly, Plonked by a Troll.

SteveR wrote:

> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>And a 6 month old story is relevant how?
>>
>>"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>>To help educate people like you.
>>>Dell considers AMD http://www.littlewhitedog.com/article4044.html
>>>
>>>SteveR
>
> Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
> Co..
> Maybe in year or so they will make it so.

Right, although one might conclude that Michael Dell knows more about
running a multi-billion dollar corporation than you do:

Dell posts solid profit

No. 1 PC maker reports results that meet forecasts; sales guidance
bullish; stock gains after-hours.

May 12, 2005: 4:49 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Dell Inc., the world's largest personal
computer maker, said Thursday PC sales in April overcame weakness
earlier in the quarter, fueled by strong growth in European markets and
Japan.

The company's forecast for revenue in the current quarter was equal to
or slightly above the average analyst forecast, and Dell (Research)
stock rallied on the news.

Net income rose to $934 million, or 37 cents a share, in the fiscal
first quarter ended April 29, compared with $731 million, or 28 cents a
share, a year earlier.

Revenue rose 16 percent to $13.39 billion from $11.54 billion.

Analysts believe a heavy promotional push by Dell aimed at consumers and
small businesses helped offset weakness that Dell officials had cited in
February and March.

Wall Street was looking for Dell to report a net profit of 37 cents a
share, up 32 percent from a year earlier, according to Reuters
Estimates. Forecasts ranged between 36 cents and 37 cents, according to
Reuters Estimates.

Analysts were looking for revenue of $13.42 billion on average.
Forecasts were in a tight range between $13.37 billion and $13.50
billion. In April, Dell reaffirmed its prior outlook for $13.4 billion
in revenue and earnings of 37 cents a share.

Dell expects revenue for the fiscal second quarter ending in July to
increase between 16 percent and 18 percent, to a range of $13.6 billion
to $13.8 billion, with earnings of 37 to 39 cents a share, CEO Kevin
Rollins said in a statement.

That profit outlook was in line with current forecasts, but the revenue
projection was equal to or slightly better than the average analyst
forecast.

Shares of Dell, based in Round Rock, Texas, rose 7 cents to close at
$36.61 on Nasdaq. They climbed about 2 percent in after-hours trading.

Separately, company founder Michael Dell is betting on software
developer Red Hat. Click here for more. Top of page

Find this article at:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/12/technology/dell.reut

SteveR wrote:

>>"SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>><snip>
>>
>>>Dell takes years to make major changes, to much red tape and to big of a
>>>Co..
>>>Maybe in year or so they will make it so.
>>>
>>>SteveR
>>
>>For a 'pro', you sure don't snip well.
>
> LOL like your <snip>

Calling all mohels!!!

"Lenny Bruce" <spam@devnul.com> wrote in message
> SteveR wrote:
>

>> My point exactly, the reason I won't buy a Dell computer. Because Dell
>> doesn't yet offer the AMD option for a CPU. Most people that
>> self build computer have used AMD for Years.
>> Dell needs to offer AMD chipped systems as a choice in addition to Intel.
>> The other reason I won't buy a Dell is because it uses Dell specific
>> parts
>> for motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc. I won't own a computer
>> that uses proprietary parts. I own 4 AMD 64 Athlon based cpu
>> systems, Intel or Dell won't get any money from me. I have Dell's
>> with Intel CPU's that are given to me, but not for long sell them used on
>> ebay.
>>
>> SteveR
>
> Then why do you waste your time and post to this news group?

I believe he is hopeful that Michael Dell reads it and will see his wisdom
and change the direction of Dell.

That happens here all the time. What was it, a year or so ago that I
commented that Dell really needed to branch out into LCD and Plasma
televisions?

Michael wrote me a nice personal note thanking me for the idea. He had never
considered it until he read it here.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Lenny Bruce" <spam@devnul.com> wrote in message
> > SteveR wrote:
> >

> >> My point exactly, the reason I won't buy a Dell computer. Because Dell
> >> doesn't yet offer the AMD option for a CPU. Most people that
> >> self build computer have used AMD for Years.
> >> Dell needs to offer AMD chipped systems as a choice in addition to Intel.
> >> The other reason I won't buy a Dell is because it uses Dell specific
> >> parts
> >> for motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc. I won't own a computer
> >> that uses proprietary parts. I own 4 AMD 64 Athlon based cpu
> >> systems, Intel or Dell won't get any money from me. I have Dell's
> >> with Intel CPU's that are given to me, but not for long sell them used on
> >> ebay.
> >>
> >> SteveR
> >
> > Then why do you waste your time and post to this news group?
>
> I believe he is hopeful that Michael Dell reads it and will see his wisdom
> and change the direction of Dell.
>
> That happens here all the time. What was it, a year or so ago that I
> commented that Dell really needed to branch out into LCD and Plasma
> televisions?
>
> Michael wrote me a nice personal note thanking me for the idea. He had never
> considered it until he read it here.

Thanks, Tom! <g>

Notan

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Lenny Bruce" <spam@devnul.com> wrote in message
>
>>SteveR wrote:
>>

>>>My point exactly, the reason I won't buy a Dell computer. Because Dell
>>>doesn't yet offer the AMD option for a CPU. Most people that
>>>self build computer have used AMD for Years.
>>>Dell needs to offer AMD chipped systems as a choice in addition to Intel.
>>>The other reason I won't buy a Dell is because it uses Dell specific
>>>parts
>>>for motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc. I won't own a computer
>>>that uses proprietary parts. I own 4 AMD 64 Athlon based cpu
>>>systems, Intel or Dell won't get any money from me. I have Dell's
>>>with Intel CPU's that are given to me, but not for long sell them used on
>>>ebay.
>>>
>>>SteveR
>>
>>Then why do you waste your time and post to this news group?
>

> I believe he is hopeful that Michael Dell reads it and will see his wisdom
> and change the direction of Dell.
>
> That happens here all the time. What was it, a year or so ago that I
> commented that Dell really needed to branch out into LCD and Plasma
> televisions?
>
> Michael wrote me a nice personal note thanking me for the idea. He had never
> considered it until he read it here.

Yeah, Mike's been a class act since our undergrad days at UT.