Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are there any downsides to HDMI to DVI vs. straight HDMI?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 7, 2010 3:19:05 PM

I'm looking at monitors to play PS3 on, and I was wondering whether there are any disadvantages to hooking up a monitor with an HDMI/DVI converter. I'm seeing some really good monitors that don't have an HDMI port. I know I'd have to get a separate speaker system to hook the audio up, but that's not much of a downside considering how trashy built-in speakers sound...

I haven't seen anything in my searching about artifact or scaling issues, but I figured it's not too far-fetched to think that there could be some problem somewhere in not using the cable it was meant for...

Thanks

Best solution

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 8, 2010 1:51:45 AM

Considering HDMI and DVI are both digital signal, i wouldn't expect any type of signal loss, although I am not completely sure. I am trying to find the same thing out because I have an HDMI input solely used for PC connection on my LCD TV I want to plug my computer in and want to know if I can buy the $50 graphics card with DVI out or if I need to buy the $100 card with an hDMI out
January 8, 2010 3:06:42 AM

After hours of searching and posting, I learned that HDMI is just DVI with pins for carrying audio. No difference. All I need to worry about is whether the monitor is HDCP compliant.
m
l
Related resources
a c 196 C Monitor
January 8, 2010 3:58:31 PM

^^^

Only if you care about watching HD video with embedded DRM (copy protection).
m
l
January 14, 2010 11:03:33 PM

Using an HDCP compliant monitor with an HDMI to DVI converter will still give me DRM problems?
m
l
January 26, 2010 2:23:06 AM

Quote:
Inane_Asylum wrote:
After hours of searching and posting, I learned that HDMI is just DVI with pins for carrying audio. No difference. All I need to worry about is whether the monitor is HDCP compliant.

Went to a TV-store and saw that a HDMI cable looks very different than a DVI cable (the one with lesser ports then a VGA to old CRT monitors), reminds more like a "SATA-slim" port than the ordinary DVI-port on the backside of the graphic card. I´m too looking for a cable with one HDMI-port to the PS3 and a DVI to the PC TFT-LCD monitor. Feels VERY confused :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:20:10 PM

Best answer selected by Inane_Asylum.
m
l
!