bruno

I recently up graded fron Windows 98 to XP Pro and can't open my saved files
on disk. A serch indicates that the disk is almost full, but the program
won't open them.
The down load was successful everywhere else. What am I doing wrong?
bruno

1st you should convert the file system from FAT32 to ntfs,which xp uses as
default.Go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CONVERT C: /FS:ntfs A restart con-
verts,then,for disk space problems read kb#814594 from microsoft.What
successfull download took place.....XP is upgraded by a cd.

In news:05C926C1-2E6E-4B4B-AF60-175FADF69A32@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:

> 1st you should convert the file system from FAT32 to ntfs,which
> xp
> uses as default.

Nonsense! Although NTFS is better than FAT32, what XP uses as a
default is irrelevant, and this has nothing to do with his
problem.

Bruno, read below.

> "bruno" wrote:
>
>> I recently up graded fron Windows 98 to XP Pro and can't open
>> my
>> saved files on disk. A serch indicates that the disk is almost
>> full,
>> but the program won't open them.

You may need to take ownership Read here.

If that doesn't help, please help us to help you. What does "the
program won't open them" mean? What program? What files? How are
you trying to open them? What happens when you try? If you get an
error message, please quote it verbatim

For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup

To solve this, you will have to tell folks HOW the files were saved
before they can tell you how to get them open. For instance if you save
the files with Win98 "backup" you will need to use Win98 "backup" to
extract them, as XP's NTbackup won't read them.