TSPP - NIB cosmetic questions

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

I just picked up a 4th run NIB TSPP this weekend (first NIB machine).
I've been waiting for 6 months for this, and absolutely ove playing it.
It works great and we've put about 100 plays on it so far. When I
originally opened it, went through it and found some cosmetic issues.

1. There is a blue line on the bottom left of the cabinet, about 3/4"
up. It's thin and is most noticable in the back 18" of the cabinet.
It disappears for the most part after that, but you can see it in a few
other places closer to the front as well.

2. The playfield images and colors look great, and are very sharp.
When looking closely at it, I see that there are "specks" of different
colors in many of the solid areas - especially the blue sky in the
middle. You don't notice them while playing, but if you look closer,
you can certainly see them. Anyone know if this is how it's supposed
to look?

Anyone have any recommendations on what (if anything) could be done
about the cabinet issue? Cabinets aren't small and obviously aren't
easy or cheap to ship and replace. I fully realize that by playing it
I've pretty much accepted the flaw. It doesn't bother me that much,
but am thinking of the value if/when I ever decide to sell it. I'm
sure others have had cabinet scuffs / flaws with NIB so am just looking
for past experiences and resolutions from Stern.

One final note: the playfield is already getting dimples on it, which
after such a few number of plays concerns me. I've turned the power of
the coils down as the ball was catching air when hitting the Moe's
Tavern ramp entrance posts and the target near the Quick-E-Mart. I see
that others have experienced dimpling on TSPP and LOTR as well. Are
all Stern playfields like this, and if so is there anything that can be
done to prevent it (other than more clearcoating).

Thanks for any advice or input you can provide.

- Sean

"sean" wrote:
> I just picked up a 4th run NIB TSPP this weekend (first NIB machine).
> I've been waiting for 6 months for this, and absolutely ove playing it.
> It works great and we've put about 100 plays on it so far. When I
> originally opened it, went through it and found some cosmetic issues.
>
> 1. There is a blue line on the bottom left of the cabinet, about 3/4"
> up. It's thin and is most noticable in the back 18" of the cabinet.
> It disappears for the most part after that, but you can see it in a few
> other places closer to the front as well.

I've seen this on most of the 4th run games so far, but it appears to just
be some paint/ink transfer from rubbing on something- maybe something on the
assembly line. Stuff like this often shows up from the game being shipped
in the cardboard box (cardboard rubs or "burns"), but this one looks like
something from before the game left the factory.

A very light cleaning with a Scotchbrite pad (very light) will take it away.

> 2. The playfield images and colors look great, and are very sharp.
> When looking closely at it, I see that there are "specks" of different
> colors in many of the solid areas - especially the blue sky in the
> middle. You don't notice them while playing, but if you look closer,
> you can certainly see them. Anyone know if this is how it's supposed
> to look?

Haven't noticed this myself- may be some dripping from one of the
differently-colored silkscreens during printing process. I see this on
cabinets fairly regularly, but then again, these games weren't meant to go
in the Smithsonian- only in bars, arcades, bowling alleys, etc. where most
people wouldn't care or notice.... So aside from a substantial increase in
price for these games to up the Quality Control a few notches, I'd say we
probably have to accept a certain degree of imperfection with them. I'd
personally rather live with a few things like this than see the cost of the
games go up another $500 or more- who knows?

> Anyone have any recommendations on what (if anything) could be done
> about the cabinet issue? Cabinets aren't small and obviously aren't
> easy or cheap to ship and replace. I fully realize that by playing it
> I've pretty much accepted the flaw. It doesn't bother me that much,
> but am thinking of the value if/when I ever decide to sell it. I'm
> sure others have had cabinet scuffs / flaws with NIB so am just looking
> for past experiences and resolutions from Stern.

The Scotchbrite pad should cure it. Don't scrub too hard or you can take
some ink off, but I've had no problems getting stuff like this off (scuffs
from manufacturing/shipping) with a Scotchbrite pad. You may want to try
some Novus #2 instead as it's less abrasive but may require more elbow
grease...

> One final note: the playfield is already getting dimples on it, which
> after such a few number of plays concerns me. I've turned the power of
> the coils down as the ball was catching air when hitting the Moe's
> Tavern ramp entrance posts and the target near the Quick-E-Mart. I see
> that others have experienced dimpling on TSPP and LOTR as well. Are
> all Stern playfields like this, and if so is there anything that can be
> done to prevent it (other than more clearcoating).

It may vary from playfield to playfield depending on the actual hardness of
the wood used. Maybe even your regional climate, too- humid or arid. We're
out in Utah where it's pretty arid, so have very few problems with moisture
or humidity, both of which can increase a piece of wood's "drying time" if
it's green/wet when cut and used for a playfield.

I've heard of similar dimpling problems here and there- not only on Stern
games but many late-model Bally/Wms too- it's all wood underneath regardless
of who it's "made" by... but never seen any problems to a noticeable degree
on any of the games we've sold or sold/serviced in past years. I don't
think additional clearcoating will do anything- the dimples are from the
wood under the clearcoat and ink- not from the ink or clearcoat. More
clearcoat wouldn't make any difference if the wood underneath is soft.

You might talk with the distributor you bought the game from and see if
there is anything they can do like offering a different game to try or
replacing the playfield, etc. They could even put in a call to Stern and
either get some more info or at least rattle their cage a bit... It would
probably be Stern's call to make in the end, but game should still be under
factory warranty (30 days from date it was made/left the factory). Date is
on the back of the machine.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

On the cabinet issue, one good preventative measure is those flipper
button protectors. Little clear vinyl decals that protect where your
fingers rest on the cab. I got a set and applied them before playing
game 1 on my TSPP. Every TSPP I've seen at location has had sideshow
bob's hair almost completely gone. With 2000 games on mine in 4
months, I'm sure I made a good call.

Robert

MattyB

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2005

My 4th run TSPP has specks in the playfield art also. Of course I'd
prefer the artwork to be flawless but in reality, it's really not a big
deal IMO. It's still a great game to play and remains a fine example of
"The Art of Pinball"
Matt B.

> One final note: the playfield is already getting dimples on it, which
> after such a few number of plays concerns me. I've turned the power of
> the coils down as the ball was catching air when hitting the Moe's
> Tavern ramp entrance posts and the target near the Quick-E-Mart. I see
> that others have experienced dimpling on TSPP and LOTR as well. Are
> all Stern playfields like this, and if so is there anything that can be
> done to prevent it (other than more clearcoating).
>
> Thanks for any advice or input you can provide.
>
> - Sean

Just to let you know, ALL playfields get dimples in them. It is simple
laws of physics. The steel ball is much heavier and more dense than the
playfield (wood) it is rolling/falling/beating on. Even if you had a
thicker clearcoat it would still happen. The fact is that it is more
noticeable on some titles than others. Keep a nice coat of wax on it
and enjoy playing it. Go look at any Williams/Bally game and you will
find dimples too.

--

Pins - M*M - M*B - L*O*T*R - A*F*M - R*F*M - S*T*T*N*G - R*F

Vids - D*nkey K*ong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C

TRENDING THREADS