Buying memory

Somewhat embarassingly, despite having a reputation as a computer
person, I've actually *never* upgraded RAM by myself, and have
absolutely no idea how to proceed. My last encounter with memory
upgrades was in 1996 or so, when I went from 8MB to 16MB on my old
AST. Since then, SIMMs have become DIMMs, and there seem to be 40,000
different kinds of RAM.

I have a Dell 8100, and while the Dell website recommends a certain
configuration, I figure there have to be better deals (better and
cheaper) on RAM out there. What's the best to get? What do different
types signify? (DRAM/SDRAM, etc.) Is there any point in getting it
from Dell?

Thanks,
-D

-D

"David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message

> I have a Dell 8100, and while the Dell website recommends a certain
> configuration, I figure there have to be better deals (better and
> cheaper) on RAM out there. What's the best to get? What do different
> types signify? (DRAM/SDRAM, etc.) Is there any point in getting it
> from Dell?

Easy and full proof way to get the right RAM at a decent price is to go to
www.crucial.com. Use their memory configuration wizard and it will tell you
exactly what RAM you need.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

EXCEPT for a Dimension 8100, which requires RDRam and Crucial does not (and
never has) sold RDRam.

Stick with the previous recommendation of zipzoomfly or newegg. Remember,
like the previous poster said, matched pairs of PC800, 16-bit.

Tom
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
>
> > I have a Dell 8100, and while the Dell website recommends a certain
> > configuration, I figure there have to be better deals (better and
> > cheaper) on RAM out there. What's the best to get? What do different
> > types signify? (DRAM/SDRAM, etc.) Is there any point in getting it
> > from Dell?
>

> Easy and full proof way to get the right RAM at a decent price is to go to
> www.crucial.com. Use their memory configuration wizard and it will tell
you
> exactly what RAM you need.
>
> --
>
> Rob
> Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
> A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

All true, but the original post said "Dell 8100". This could be an
Inspiron 8100, for which memory can be purchased from Crucial!

Tom Scales wrote:
> EXCEPT for a Dimension 8100, which requires RDRam and Crucial does not (and
> never has) sold RDRam.
>
> Stick with the previous recommendation of zipzoomfly or newegg. Remember,
> like the previous poster said, matched pairs of PC800, 16-bit.
>
> Tom
> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
>>

>>>I have a Dell 8100, and while the Dell website recommends a certain
>>>configuration, I figure there have to be better deals (better and
>>>cheaper) on RAM out there. What's the best to get? What do different
>>>types signify? (DRAM/SDRAM, etc.) Is there any point in getting it
>>>from Dell?
>>

>>Easy and full proof way to get the right RAM at a decent price is to go to
>>www.crucial.com. Use their memory configuration wizard and it will tell
>
> you
>
>>exactly what RAM you need.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Rob
>>Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
>>A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

You need to add pairs of PC800, 16-bit RDRAM RIMMs. Ordinarily, Crucial
(www.crucial.com) is the best source for memory, but they do not sell this
type of RAM.

Give www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com a look.

You need not buy from Dell, but check their prices - RDRAM is expensive no
matter where you buy it, but sometimes Dell's prices are decent. Figure on
$110-120 per 256 MByte RIMM (you need to add them in matched pairs).