Sign in with
Your question

WIN ME or 98SE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 25, 2002 4:59:32 AM

There are a lot of problems playing older games eg. Rogue Spear on WinXP even while using the 'Compatability Mode' [www.ubi.com], so my question is will older games designed for Win95 and 98 play just as good on WinME. [I'am going to install a second operating system].[Is ME deigned 'basically' the same as 98].

More about : win 98se

August 25, 2002 5:45:42 AM

winME is a dog!.

it has to many proplems for me to list, im sure others will agree,
go with win98se, much more stable, and reliable

<font color=red>name:magic birthday:6/11/84 death:24/12/06 </font color=red>
August 25, 2002 10:10:03 AM

Go with W98SE. It's a lighter OS and faster too. If you really want to go up from W98SE, I recommend W2K pro for it's stability, but I don't think it's fond of DOS games.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
Related resources
August 26, 2002 12:18:35 AM

yeah even winme ditched pure dos so i would go with 98se if you want old games to work best. Also, as stated above, ME is less stable.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>
August 27, 2002 2:13:04 AM

Use Win98SE Lite! Go to litepc.com. Get yourself a copy of Win98Lite Pro for $25! Install Win98SE, get all the updates, then run the Win98Lite on it. Remove the MSIE crap out of Win98 completely, along with lots of other stuff you don't need. It makes Win98SE very stable, a bit faster and far less crash proof than even Win2K in most cases (for games anyway). Been there, done that. It works great! You can even make Win98SE into a 40MB install for the whole OS using the Micro version, but you do lose a lot of Win98 functionality, like the quick-launch bar, any sort of preview in Explorer, and so on. You will also need your old Win95 OSR2 CD to install this mode.
August 27, 2002 2:27:31 AM

do you work for litepc.com or what?

August 27, 2002 3:06:44 PM

I install lite already, just pick custom installation when you see it and then remove everything from it. No need to buy a software that makes it look different but does just about the same. My way does a 220 some or 230 some Mb install.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>
August 31, 2002 8:22:18 PM

The way I learned how to run an OS was with ME and its unstablility. No I know what works and what doesnt. My OS never crashes now. I happen to like ME. It is very finicky with hardware. But my bootups are fast and I can't be sitting there waiting for some cartoon looking OS like XP to bootup.
August 31, 2002 11:24:28 PM

<b>...I can't be sitting there waiting for some cartoon looking OS like XP to bootup.</b>

A common criticism of XP, from people who don't know the O/S. It takes nothing but a few mouse-clicks to transform XP back to a 'classic' Windows look. As for booting time, XP is vastly superior to W2K,Me,98...

But back to the original question. It's largely accepted that Me was released so Microsoft could get public reaction to the features intended for inclusion in W2K/XP. Me sucks, it's a rushed, poorly developed piece of junk.

Besides, if all you want is legacy games compatiblity, you wouldn't need the additional features of Me.

98SE still has its uses :smile:
September 5, 2002 4:10:50 PM

if your XP boot faster than my 98se I cut your grass for a month :)  (backyard grass not pot! LOL) 25 seconds from beep till usable desktop.

I still don't know why regular home users bother buying XP, other then getting pushed by others to switch and then find out it does nothing to them better than 98se did. It did nothing for me better than 98se, nothing at all.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>
September 5, 2002 10:24:33 PM

I agree, ME sucks. Go with 98.
I have 98 and XP, and like XP a whole lot more. Not only does it boot faster, but I get more functionality and performance out of it.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>
September 6, 2002 2:09:25 AM

yes windows 98 runs solitaire and minesweeper just as well as xp. Amazing!
:wink:

September 6, 2002 3:01:43 AM

Win ME will run fine after some major tweaking. I played with it for quite sometime and after numerous formats/instals and lots of reading/learning online I got it to work with speed and stability. It was kind of a challenge you might say. For a quick and easy solution run 98SE. You're only using it for older games so don't bother tweaking it too much you'll be wasting time that could be better spent gaming!

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.
September 7, 2002 7:11:26 PM

I've been using winME for 10 months now and no crashes here. Spreadsheets, word doc's, video editing and games. No complaints from me.

My opinion is your mileage may vary.

I know plenty of people, techs, comp. programmers, etc. etc. They all have problems with whatever system they use win98, 98se, ME and XP.

People use there machines differently. It's a crap shoot choosing a op sys.
September 8, 2002 2:35:34 AM

heheh I don't even have any of that garbage installed, no games from that cd

September 8, 2002 4:50:55 PM

I wonder if its actually variations in hardware related issues that affects Win ME users, because some like yourself have no problems at all, and others have nothing but problems, theres got to be a solid reason why it works for some and not others. What do you think about that? Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
September 9, 2002 1:22:35 AM

I've been using ME since it first came out and I'm still on the original install, although I've upgraded the machine I'm on twice. I've only had one problem with it(which I haven't been able to pinpoint yet), I get a rundll32 error with setupx.dll when going to control panel, add remove progs and windows setup. Other than that it's been stable for me(as much as any Window product that is).

My biggest reason for going to ME over 98 was that both my daughters now have their own PC's and they've got a nasty habit of hosing their systems. The restore feature is nice. Other than that, to me, it seems to be a mildly reworked 98. If 2000 would've had more multimedia capabilities from the launch, I would've went that way, but being kids, they play games(well so do I!!).

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
September 9, 2002 6:51:47 AM

Might I recommend reading through <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=184" target="_new">this FAQ</A> on imaging your HD/partition? I'm only mentioning this because if your daughters hose their systems, this would be a definite time-saver.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=184" target="_new">http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=184&lt;/A>

Bryan
September 16, 2002 12:46:27 PM

Anybody who recommends WinME is out of their mind. That's just cruel and unusual punishment. They should be shot. I think that answers this thread at least.

Moving on...

Win98se might work for some, but personally I'm not a fan of even the slightest system instability. I have never met a person in my life who could make any Win OS before 2000 stable. Stable=No crashes.

Quote:
if your XP boot faster than my 98se I cut your grass for a month :)  (backyard grass not pot! LOL) 25 seconds from beep till usable desktop.

Damn, you beat me by 5 seconds. All it takes is an installation of the OS to get that kind of performance. How much tweaking was required on your end? WinXP beats all the others hands down unless you're some kind of FPS freak in which Win98se might win with a few more FPS. I could care less as long as I get more than 40 FPS. Easily done. When I switched over I tested a few games though and I got more FPS (~10%) in WinXP. Haven't bothered to be rigorous and test since then though since I don't need 300 FPS. My biggest reason for sticking to WinXP though is that it hasn't crashed yet and I've been running it for a year. I haven't had any games not run on this OS either, but I'll try Rogue Spear since it's possible I haven't played the game in over a year. That game is ancient.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 21, 2002 6:18:36 AM

How did Rogue Spear run on XP? Did you have to use the compatability utility? At the UBI.com web site forum, nearly everyone has problems with XP, even when using the compatability program. [with R6, RS & UO]
September 22, 2002 1:40:50 AM

I'll install it when I get a chance and see what happens.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 23, 2002 4:23:33 AM

I did nothing special, just don't use the regular instal of the OS, like to pick what get installed and that's nothing but the bare OS from the cd. Then gave ip to the network card which cut the 1 minute 10 second boot to 25 seconds. That's with all my drivers installed, with no drivers it boot even faster :)  but why do that?

September 23, 2002 11:53:15 PM

That's probably a good tip. I remember my boot being pretty long with my network card installed so I just disabled it when I wasn't using it. I wish I would have known that at the time. I only used the card for LAN parties though.

Now I have a network and it's really nice. With SP1 network utilization has been improved a bit as well.

Look, if you're happy then stick to what you got. All I'm really saying is two things: 1. Stay away from WinME imop, and 2. If you have any stability issues with Win98se, any whatsoever, I would seriously recommend WinXP.

September 25, 2002 7:44:40 AM

Hey did you notice that most of the replies that say Win ME sucks are from people who have never even used it ?!?! Well, I have used both Win 98SE and Win ME. I prefer Win ME for sure. It has better features. And it does NOT crash or freeze up any more often than Win 98SE does. I have a fairly high-performance graphics card that produces very good results, including benchmark scores, when running Win ME. Only found one old game that won't run on ME. Anyhow, Win 98SE also works well so you pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally, I really like the System Restore feature on ME. It works great if you've installed or downloaded some junk that messes up your system you can just roll it back to a previous state. Nice.

Regards
September 25, 2002 3:17:32 PM

Quote:
Hey did you notice that most of the replies that say Win ME sucks are from people who have never even used it ?!?!

Where? This thread?

September 27, 2002 6:32:22 PM

Quote:
Hey did you notice that most of the replies that say Win ME sucks are from people who have never even used it ?!?!

I think most of us would only answer if we had at least some experience with <b>any</b> post in particular. Right or wrong, our answers are based on our experiences and or opinions.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>
October 11, 2002 8:13:15 PM

get off win me's jock, it is a foul beast.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
October 21, 2002 9:16:46 AM

WindowsME = Windows Mistake Edition

'nuff said :smile:

PS: I have used EVERY Microsoft OS since DOS 6.0. I have used each of them for at least one year... longer in most cases. I know what I'm saying when I say that XP is the best OS for me... hands down.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!