Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 building addition

Last response: in Windows 7
March 29, 2010 8:53:09 PM

with windows 7 building addition can I installion it on one or more systems or not , I don't understand the difference between building addition and the regulator addition. thx
March 29, 2010 9:13:49 PM

perhaps you misread something, i am not aware of a building edition
m
l
March 29, 2010 9:53:54 PM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 10:31:46 PM

ok then that is an OEM copy (original equipment manufacturer). you get it cheaper than a retail copy because you are supposed to be an oem who will support the product, microsoft will not give any support for oem software. and no you can not use that serial number for more than one computer it must be registered just like every other copy of windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 9:37:18 AM

OEM license = one PC only. As a system builder you are supposed to pre-install the OS and then sell the machine with Windows on it. Thus the license cannot be used for more than one PC.
m
l
March 30, 2010 8:09:45 PM

You can't install on multiple computers even for retail versions. One at a time still applies.

OEM simply means: No Support and you gotta buy hardware with it. normally with newegg you'll get a 4pin molex connector with it as your "hardware".

As for "you are suppose to install it on one pc and it dies with that pc" how is MS going to know what pc you got it on? They don't.

Don't worry about it I know plenty of people that use OEM and don't have a problem. Just don't expect to get support for it.

Herr_Koos said:
OEM license = one PC only. As a system builder you are supposed to pre-install the OS and then sell the machine with Windows on it. Thus the license cannot be used for more than one PC.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 8:31:48 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
You can't install on multiple computers even for retail versions. One at a time still applies.

OEM simply means: No Support and you gotta buy hardware with it. normally with newegg you'll get a 4pin molex connector with it as your "hardware".

As for "you are suppose to install it on one pc and it dies with that pc" how is MS going to know what pc you got it on? They don't.

Don't worry about it I know plenty of people that use OEM and don't have a problem. Just don't expect to get support for it.

True, but what was getting at is that an OEM license is supposed to stay one one PC forever. If I build a new PC tomorrow, I can move my retail version of Windows across quite easily. (clean install, re-use same key on new PC). With an OEM license you can't do this, at least not according to the fine print.
m
l
March 30, 2010 8:52:20 PM

both are correct according to the terms and conditions you accept when you install you are only allowed to use the OEM copy on one computer and the rules about what you can upgrade before it becomes a new computer are actually very strict. With that said in the practical world there are a lot of people who use OEM on various builds regularly with minimal to no issue. The one issue that cannot be circumvented is that there is no support from MS for OEM copies
m
l
!