What do I need for best sound /w Sennheiser HD 555's?

Hey everyone! So I am in need of a new pair of headphones and am heavily considering the HD 555's, buying them from Amazon for $99. I will be using them for home use only and they won't be disturbing anyone besides myself so open-backed are alright if they're better quality. I just have a few questions before I purchase these headphones:

1) Are there other headphones I should get? I don't really want to spend a whole lot more than $100 for the cans themselves.

2) Most important question. What do I need to get with the headphones? I keep hearing about amps and DAC's to get great sound quality. Are those necessary? And if so, which should I get? Also, do I need BOTH an amp AND a DAC? If not, which should be the number one priority?

-Uses for my headphones in order of importance: Games, music, movies. I also don't need a mic if that helps.

-I currently use the onboard audio for my mobo (P6X58D-E). If an amp and/or DAC is necessary, I really don't want to spend more than another $100 for them altogether. Like I was saying, I don't have a stand-alone sound card, maybe that is preferred?

**The biggest issue for me is static. When I'm not playing anything through my computer (games, music, movies, etc.) I don't want to hear anything coming from the headphones. For example, I use Tritton AX 720's for my 360 and I can hear some static constantly. It's pretty annoying to me.

Thanks in advance for the help!
2 answers Last reply
More about what sound sennheiser
  1. well from your current situation, let me jsut say that the amp shoukld be the priority
  2. Just wondering if anyone can offer a bit more clarity for my questions. No matter how much I look, I can't seem to find straight-forward answers.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sennheiser Headphones HD Audio