Sign in with
Your question

XP 2500 Barton vs P4 2.53 ..Who really wins????

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2003 7:33:51 PM

I just read a long artical on the comparison of the P4/533 cpus vs The Barton CPUs . At the same price point it seems like the P4 is blowing away the Bartons in almost every benchmark. Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

I compared the XP 2500 (200.00) vs The Intel (200.00) <<==both give or take a $20.00 .

From what I read the 2.53GZ P4 kicked that XP 2500 Bartons ass all over the motherboard. Maybe I'm confused , but it seems like AMD lost its price point edge.

More about : 2500 barton wins

March 25, 2003 8:19:31 PM

In my opinion, AMD clocked the Barton CPUs to low. For instance, a 2500+ Barton runs at 1.83GHz while a 2400+ T-Bred B runs at 2GHz. If they followed the old PR scheme, a 2500+ <i>should</i> have been clocked at 2.06GHz. Now I know double the cache is a spiffy little thing there, but it doesn't replace 233MHz IMHO.

If I where you, I'd look for a T-Bred B instead. =\

Mr. Perfect <i>a name fraught with peril</i>

Barton proccesors use Gheyspeed Architecture for improved PR ratings.
March 25, 2003 9:30:07 PM

Yes, you´re right, the 2500+ is <i>not</i> a good choice. I´d go with the 2533Mhz P4 if I were you. I guess that if I had to buy a new system, I´d go with Intel if over the 2.5Ghz or 2500+ tag. Bartons are a disappointment which should have been avoided by AMD. Intel rules in the top-performance arena, undisputed, I guess. The 3000+ is terrible, getting close to the 2800+.
Related resources
March 25, 2003 10:10:52 PM

Maaaaaannnn ! I don't know what I was thinking. I already purchased the XP 2500 Barton. But, I need what I need. I'm just going to have to sell the Barton, Exchange the motherboard and Buy an Intel. I decided on getting the Gigabyte GA-SIN8XP and a P4 2.53 boxed. I chose the GGB over the MSI 655 chipset. The deciding factor was that the GGB uses a Silicon Graphics SATA chipset. It's suppose to be wayyyy better than the promise SATA chipset. ASUS got third place, Ut really did not offer anything funky. I know its' a solid board , but I want to overclock. Overclocking from the bios menu gets old. NAH MEAAAAANNN????
March 25, 2003 10:11:38 PM

Maaaaaannnn ! I don't know what I was thinking. I already purchased the XP 2500 Barton. But, I need what I need. I'm just going to have to sell the Barton, Exchange the motherboard and Buy an Intel. I decided on getting the Gigabyte GA-SIN8XP and a P4 2.53 boxed. I chose the GGB over the MSI 655 chipset. The deciding factor was that the GGB uses a Silicon Graphics SATA chipset. It's suppose to be wayyyy better than the promise SATA chipset. ASUS got third place, It really did not offer anything funky. I know its' a solid board , but I want to overclock. Overclocking from the bios menu gets old. NAH MEAAAAANNN????
March 25, 2003 10:16:39 PM

the barton 2500 overclocks very well, I would keep it. My friend's system is running cool and stable at 2.2ghz with one of thermaltake's all copper coolers.
March 25, 2003 10:22:18 PM

If your absolutly dead set against the 2500+, then get a 2600+ Thourobred(not a Barton core). It's clocked at 2.08GHz, so there's none of that cache = speed BS there. That way you won't have to buy a new motherboard too.

Mr. Perfect <i>a name fraught with peril</i>

Barton proccesors use Gheyspeed Architecture for improved PR ratings.
March 25, 2003 11:53:04 PM

Let him spend his $$$. Me I'm going AMD & puttin my $$$ in the bank!! BAA HA HA

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
March 26, 2003 7:52:20 AM

I would have bought the Intel BUT since you already have the Barton keep it. It's highly unlikely that you'd notice the difference anyways. Besides with the money you saved by going AMD (and the money you'll save by not having to sell it at a loss) get a great video card (9700 pro) and don't look back.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
March 26, 2003 7:58:41 AM

I went ahead and bought the intel 2.53GHZ and a Gigabyte MB. I'm putting my Athlon up for sale later today. Now the only concern I have is whether I purchased the right Intel MB. Even though the MSI got a little better review, they really did not test it as for as Music audio or audio data transfer goes. Since the Gigabyte has that highly acclaimed silicon graphics chip. I may have made the right choice.
March 26, 2003 9:48:07 AM

When you compare benchmarks, make sure you pay attention to each test setups. The memory architecture is an important factor here.

P4s with RDRAM tend to be much better than Athlon XPs on single channed DDR but the cost of a P4 platform with RDRAM is prohibitive at best. That's why a lot of DIY enthousiast chose to pair P4s with DDR memory instead.

DDR memory, except in dual channel mode, can't feed a P4 CPU with the appropriate bandwidth, that's why a P4 with RDRAM outperform a P4 with DDR. The performance hit depend on a lot of factors, what the CPU is doing, what OS is being used, the program or benchmark being run, the memory timings and the motherboard chipsets are the main ones.

Don't forget that lower clocked Athlon XPs based on the Thoroughbred-B core are downbinned CPUs. 1700+ T-bred-B are known for their potential to clock over 2.0GHz on standard air cooling, that's great value for a 100S ( Canadian Dollars ) CPU. They also come factory unlocked, meaning that advanced users can set theirs to run on a 200MHz ( 400MHz DDR ) Front Side Bus if equiped with the appropriate motherboard chipset and PC3200 capable memory.

IMHO, The Barton core is another story, it's priced much too high to be attractive, the additional cache seems to help but is'nt worth the pricetag.

Getting back to the P4, DDR memory is'nt bad but it's nowhere near the performance of RDRAM you usually see in tests. Personally, I would'nt buy a system in which the CPU get starved for bandwidth, therefore, reducing it's efficiency. I'm not willing to dish out the massive amount of money asked for an Uber expensive RDRAM P4 system for the benchmark bragging rights.

Fok Speling Misstake
March 26, 2003 2:21:26 PM

how much $ are you selling your AMD stuff for?

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.
March 26, 2003 2:26:47 PM

I like you Sig. It's great & makes me feel proud & it is the truth!

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
March 26, 2003 3:02:14 PM

You realise you just said your going to be overclocking and yet u decide to keep the 2.53GHz P4..???

That Barton 2500+ will OC more than a 2.53GHz P4 can, and will be faster...seeign how u have all the parts y dont u try it out urself........overclock the hell out of it.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
March 26, 2003 3:46:36 PM

I thought I would add that my Barton 2500+ runs at 1.87GHz. However in the asus probe utility that came with my mb it says it is downgraded from a 3000, now does this mean I can make it a 3000+ without problems? I don't want to try yet :-/

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
March 26, 2003 9:11:57 PM

Just curious why you think this? Also, where can I see of people who ahve done this and what type of cooling do I need? I plan to use a standard coper cooler, something like the coolermaster heatpipe I think its called HHC-001??? Right now I have the aluminum HS that came with it and I run at 46C under full load. MB temp is usually about 26C.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
March 27, 2003 6:27:46 AM

How do you manage that?
March 27, 2003 1:08:10 PM

Hi Guys

I have a barton 2500 and i am trying to overclock it but not having much success... I have tried upping the voltage and such... but the best i have gotten is 10 X 185. Considering the stock speed is 1833, or 11 X 166, this really doesnt give me alot of improvement. Is it harder to push up the fsb rather then the multiplier? It seems i cant do very much eiter way... I have a swiftech watercooling kit, so i dont think its a cooling concern.

Rob

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton excruciatingly ripping 700 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :) </b>
March 27, 2003 6:12:29 PM

Quote:
go <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">Here</A> and check out the database for the 2500+ Barton....

I don't suppose you could give a more direct link than that? When I go there and click on the CPUdatabase, sometimes it sends me <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/cpu" target="_new">here</A>, and sometimes it sends me <A HREF="http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb" target="_new">here</A>. And either way, neither have a listing for any Bartons.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
!