Need a gaming mouse recommendation

For the past few years, I've been using a Logitech G7, and I love it - but I've started having issues with random double-clicks. I don't really want to deal with fixing the spring myself, and the batteries are starting to lose their maximum charge, so I figure it's time to get a new one.

I know what I want in one. I'm looking for something wireless, right-handed, with at least two additional buttons (thumb preferably) and on-the-fly dpi adjustment.

The big problem I'm facing is the battery system. I don't really want a cradle charger - I tend to forget to put the mouse back in when I'm not using it, so it dies when I'm in the middle of something and I have to wait for it to get a decent charge again. I've waited so long to get rid of my G7 because I love the hot-swappable batteries - anything with a system like that would be ideal. But having the option to switch to corded, or even just using standard AA batteries would be acceptable as long as I could swap them out without a screwdriver, since either option would be faster than a cradle recharge. Regardless of how it's powered, having a battery life indicator right on the mouse is definitely a bonus.

The other issue is that I don't really want to pay for what I don't need. Right now, I use my G7 at 800 dpi and that's fine for me - occasionally I dial it down to make small movements in Photoshop, but I almost never dial upward because things get too twitchy. I don't need any improvements in response time or sensitivity over my G7, and I don't need any adjustable weight or grip or size. I don't even really need macros, though they would be helpful on occasion. I'd be fine with a mouse that happened to have these, I just don't really want to spend another $50 for features I don't need.

So, does anyone have a recommendation? Am I going to have to force myself to use a cradle charger, or is there something out there that suits my needs?
3 answers Last reply
More about need gaming mouse recommendation
  1. If you need wireless, then my recommendation would be another G7. The Razer Mamba is another option, but it is more expensive.
  2. I thought about that, but I'd really want a second thumb button if possible - and I'm worried about the double-click issue coming back again later. Those are the only two flaws, but they're pretty big ones.

The Mamba is nice, but $130 is a little ridiculous. Does the Mamba let you adjust dpi with the mouse buttons? I can't seem to find any info on that in the reviews.

What about the Sidewinder X8 - has anyone had any experience with it? It looks like it fits my criteria, and it's $75 on Amazon. Any thoughts?
  3. dubbaewwteeeff said:
    I thought about that, but I'd really want a second thumb button if possible - and I'm worried about the double-click issue coming back again later. Those are the only two flaws, but they're pretty big ones.

The Mamba is nice, but $130 is a little ridiculous. Does the Mamba let you adjust dpi with the mouse buttons? I can't seem to find any info on that in the reviews.

What about the Sidewinder X8 - has anyone had any experience with it? It looks like it fits my criteria, and it's $75 on Amazon. Any thoughts?

The mamba has two small buttons near the front of the mouse, next to the left-click, that let you adjust DPI on the fly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Mice Peripherals