Need a gaming mouse recommendation

dubbaewwteeeff

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
For the past few years, I've been using a Logitech G7, and I love it - but I've started having issues with random double-clicks. I don't really want to deal with fixing the spring myself, and the batteries are starting to lose their maximum charge, so I figure it's time to get a new one.

I know what I want in one. I'm looking for something wireless, right-handed, with at least two additional buttons (thumb preferably) and on-the-fly dpi adjustment.

The big problem I'm facing is the battery system. I don't really want a cradle charger - I tend to forget to put the mouse back in when I'm not using it, so it dies when I'm in the middle of something and I have to wait for it to get a decent charge again. I've waited so long to get rid of my G7 because I love the hot-swappable batteries - anything with a system like that would be ideal. But having the option to switch to corded, or even just using standard AA batteries would be acceptable as long as I could swap them out without a screwdriver, since either option would be faster than a cradle recharge. Regardless of how it's powered, having a battery life indicator right on the mouse is definitely a bonus.

The other issue is that I don't really want to pay for what I don't need. Right now, I use my G7 at 800 dpi and that's fine for me - occasionally I dial it down to make small movements in Photoshop, but I almost never dial upward because things get too twitchy. I don't need any improvements in response time or sensitivity over my G7, and I don't need any adjustable weight or grip or size. I don't even really need macros, though they would be helpful on occasion. I'd be fine with a mouse that happened to have these, I just don't really want to spend another $50 for features I don't need.

So, does anyone have a recommendation? Am I going to have to force myself to use a cradle charger, or is there something out there that suits my needs?

dubbaewwteeeff

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I thought about that, but I'd really want a second thumb button if possible - and I'm worried about the double-click issue coming back again later. Those are the only two flaws, but they're pretty big ones.

The Mamba is nice, but $130 is a little ridiculous. Does the Mamba let you adjust dpi with the mouse buttons? I can't seem to find any info on that in the reviews.

What about the Sidewinder X8 - has anyone had any experience with it? It looks like it fits my criteria, and it's $75 on Amazon. Any thoughts?

baedyn

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009

The mamba has two small buttons near the front of the mouse, next to the left-click, that let you adjust DPI on the fly.