ross

Kelly, last night I asked the following question:

"Right click on the desktop and one of the options you will get is
properties.
Is there any way to password protect properties?''

You responded with the following:

"If you are speaking of Display Properties, yes. You can place a policy
restriction.''

I would like to know how to place policy restrictions on my Display
Properties. A detailed response would be appreciated. Thank you.

"Ross" <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kelly, last night I asked the following question:
>
> "Right click on the desktop and one of the options you will get is
> properties.
> Is there any way to password protect properties?''
>
> You responded with the following:
>
> "If you are speaking of Display Properties, yes. You can place a policy
> restriction.''
>
> I would like to know how to place policy restrictions on my Display
> Properties. A detailed response would be appreciated. Thank you.

For XP Home or Pro (use regedit)

Per User (log into each user account and write the following registry
values):
HKCU\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: NoDispCPL
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

For All Users
HKLM\Software\Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: NoDispCPL
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

XP Pro (gpedit.msc)

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display >
Remove Display in Control Panel. Enabled this option.

--
William

Hi,

Not Kelly but....click start/run and type gpedit (Pro only, this isn't
available in Home systems). Expand the following:

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Control Panel
Display

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ross" <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kelly, last night I asked the following question:
>
> "Right click on the desktop and one of the options you will get is
> properties.
> Is there any way to password protect properties?''
>
> You responded with the following:
>
> "If you are speaking of Display Properties, yes. You can place a policy
> restriction.''
>
> I would like to know how to place policy restrictions on my Display
> Properties. A detailed response would be appreciated. Thank you.

ross

Nutcase, sorry but I forgot to mention that I am using NT. Any suggestions?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not Kelly but....click start/run and type gpedit (Pro only, this isn't
> available in Home systems). Expand the following:
>
> User Configuration
> Administrative Templates
> Control Panel
> Display
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ross" <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Kelly, last night I asked the following question:
> >
> > "Right click on the desktop and one of the options you will get is
> > properties.
> > Is there any way to password protect properties?''
> >
> > You responded with the following:
> >
> > "If you are speaking of Display Properties, yes. You can place a policy
> > restriction.''
> >
> > I would like to know how to place policy restrictions on my Display
> > Properties. A detailed response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Malke

Ross wrote:

> Nutcase, sorry but I forgot to mention that I am using NT. Any
> suggestions?
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not Kelly but....click start/run and type gpedit (Pro only, this
>> isn't available in Home systems). Expand the following:
>>
>> User Configuration
>> Administrative Templates
>> Control Panel
>> Display

See if this article helps:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/90/90.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

kelly

Hi Ross,

Run line 285 (right hand side):

It restricts Display in the Control Panel as well. The undo is on the same
line.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)