CPU: what is the difference between BOX and OEM

TearsForFears

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
This is a newbie question. I see at many sites CPU listed as BOX and OEM. What is the difference? Thanks for help.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Unless you overclock get the Retail (Box) cpu. This gives you generally a 3 yr warranty and a generic Heatsink (adequate if you don't overclock or live in Hot areas). The non-retail CPUs may have a 30 day warranty and don't include heatsinks.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would <i>guess</i> that "box" refers to retail packaging. I've never heard of it said this way, but it wouldn't surprise me.

OEM is non-retail. It's packaged for system builders like Dell, Gateway, etc. who don't care about manuals, pretty packaging, software, and so on. They just throw the parts into a complete system anyway and sell that with their own manuals, pretty packaging, software, blah, blah, blah. And they offer their own warranty, so they don't need the retail warranty.

So retail = with cables/manuals/software/warranty/etc.
OEM = just the hardware, usually just 30 day warranty at most

Just be sure that "box" isn't "white box" because that's another name for OEM. (Because the parts are stored in generic white boxes.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I belive there is a little more to it than just the 30days vs 3 year and the HS and fan. It use to be that the boxed versions were factory tested the OEM were not. Please correct me if I am wrong. Take care all.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

I think you're right. because when i had a problem with a retail processor the support guys at newegg said that the retail processors are tested and the oems are not.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>