Clean Registry

Is there a registry clean application for XP?
22 answers Last reply
More about clean registry

    In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Is there a registry clean application for XP?

    No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.

    I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
    and are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Sunshine wrote:
    > Is there a registry clean application for XP?

    Not natively, and for good reason.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as WinXP
    does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x versions.
    If there is something specific that you wish to remove, you should use a
    utility designed specifically to remove that application. The problem with
    generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
    necessary entries, they are best avoided.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a registry clean application for XP?

    Ken,

    Reminds me of the time I called Sears (over 20 years ago) to ask why my
    Continuously Self-Cleaning Oven wasn't cleaning and he clearly stated, "mam,
    it means that YOU have to continuously clean it."

    That said and three teens later, we now own two microwaves and a new double
    jen-air oven that is clean and not used that often. :o)
    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:
    >
    >> Is there a registry clean application for XP?
    >

    > No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
    >
    > I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed and are far
    > more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    To let all of the sunshine in, use Reg-Sol. :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a registry clean application for XP?

    "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Is there a registry clean application for XP?

    There is no built-in registry cleaner and there is no need to
    clean the registry under WinXP. You may want to use third-party
    software, however, I do not recommend doing that. There is no
    benefit but there is a high risk to render applications or the
    entire system useless.

    --
    d-d

    There is no such cleaner in XP itself.At the best you can use system
    restore to restore the last good registry.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306084
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

    There are third party registry cleaners also.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    In news:%233KxeMinFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> typed:

    > Ken,
    >
    > Reminds me of the time I called Sears (over 20 years ago) to
    > ask why
    > my Continuously Self-Cleaning Oven wasn't cleaning and he
    > clearly
    > stated, "mam, it means that YOU have to continuously clean it."

    LOL!

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > That said and three teens later, we now own two microwaves and
    > a new
    > double jen-air oven that is clean and not used that often. :o)

    >> In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Is there a registry clean application for XP?
    >>

    >> No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
    >>
    >> I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
    >> and
    >> are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:28:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as WinXP
    >does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x versions.

    It doesn't? RegsupremePro frequently finds hundreds of invalid entries
    in deep scan mode.

    > The problem with
    >generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
    >necessary entries, they are best avoided.

    RegspremePro has never done that to me. Nor EasyCleaner for that
    matter.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:19:54 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    > The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    >and Regedit.exe.

    If you don't mind spending the rest of your life searching through it
    for invalid entries.

    > Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    >use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    >inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    >no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    >products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    >or stability.

    The use of a registry in the first place was a stupid idea as it has
    been abused. Lot's of apps and games don't remove their reg entries
    from the registry when uninstalling, spyware and adware exploit it. If
    programmers wrote proper uninstall routines then we wouldn't need
    registry cleaners.

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:56:47 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
    >
    >I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
    >and are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

    Bollocks. I've got four reg cleaners installed right now and not one
    causes any issues.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:38:12 GMT, "Detlev Dreyer"
    <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote:

    >There is no built-in registry cleaner and there is no need to
    >clean the registry under WinXP. You may want to use third-party
    >software, however, I do not recommend doing that. There is no
    >benefit but there is a high risk to render applications or the
    >entire system useless.

    Spoken like true MS weenies.

    Connor wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:19:54 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    > <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
    >

    >> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    >>and Regedit.exe.
    >

    > If you don't mind spending the rest of your life searching through it
    > for invalid entries.

    For what purpose? No one has ever demonstrated that there is any need
    served or benefit to be derived from removing orphaned registry entries.
    If you believe otherwise, I've some beach-front property in Nevada
    I'll sell, real cheap.

    > The use of a registry in the first place was a stupid idea as it has
    > been abused.

    And we're all waiting with bated breath for the new, improved operating
    system that *you've* designed to hit the market.

    > Lot's of apps and games don't remove their reg entries
    > from the registry when uninstalling, spyware and adware exploit it.

    That's the fault of lazy and/or inept application and games developers,
    not the registry.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    >>A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as
    >>WinXP
    >>does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x
    >>versions.
    >
    > It doesn't? RegsupremePro frequently finds hundreds of invalid entries
    > in deep scan mode.

    Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
    issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
    Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these entries,
    WinXP does not suffer from this issue.

    >> The problem with
    >>generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
    >>necessary entries, they are best avoided.
    >
    > RegspremePro has never done that to me. Nor EasyCleaner for that
    > matter.

    You've been lucky. I hope you continue to be.

    --

    "Connor" <Connor@here.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:28:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:05:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
    >issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
    >Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these entries,
    >WinXP does not suffer from this issue.

    Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:28:58 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    > For what purpose? No one has ever demonstrated that there is any need
    >served or benefit to be derived from removing orphaned registry entries.
    > If you believe otherwise, I've some beach-front property in Nevada
    >I'll sell, real cheap.

    Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

    No operating system has no security flaws, and that has nothing to do with
    the subject matter of this discussion.

    --

    "Praxiteles Democritus" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:05:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
    >>issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
    >>Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these
    >>entries,
    >>WinXP does not suffer from this issue.
    >
    > Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

    Wasn't too funny then, but I hear you and thanks for the reply.
    Hope your vacation (10 candles) is going well. :o)
    --

    Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
    > Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

    Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and over
    and over..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On 2005-08-14, Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
    >> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
    >
    > Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and over
    > and over..
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?

    I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
    but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
    It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
    the listed in the registry.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
    > So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?
    >
    > I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
    > but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
    > It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
    > the listed in the registry.

    I don't encourage it, but..

    Right-click the key and select Permissions.
    Select Full for everyone and your user...
    Now erase it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On 2005-08-14, Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
    >> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and
    >> over and over..
    >
    > plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
    >> So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?
    >>
    >> I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
    >> but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
    >> It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
    >> the listed in the registry.
    >
    > I don't encourage it, but..
    >
    > Right-click the key and select Permissions.
    > Select Full for everyone and your user...
    > Now erase it.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    Thank you.

    I've read somewhere that winxp doesn't have the 32k limit
    on the registry size like the other win variants,
    but still think a cleanup may help bootup & performance even
    if the performance wasn't noticable...

Microsoft Registry Windows XP