Clean Registry

August 11, 2005 12:12:37 AM

Is there a registry clean application for XP?

More about : clean registry

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:12:38 AM

In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:

> Is there a registry clean application for XP?

No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.

I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
and are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:19:54 AM

Sunshine wrote:
> Is there a registry clean application for XP?

Not natively, and for good reason.

What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
August 11, 2005 1:28:30 AM

Hi,

A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as WinXP
does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x versions.
If there is something specific that you wish to remove, you should use a
utility designed specifically to remove that application. The problem with
generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
necessary entries, they are best avoided.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a registry clean application for XP?

August 11, 2005 2:16:58 AM

Ken,

Reminds me of the time I called Sears (over 20 years ago) to ask why my
Continuously Self-Cleaning Oven wasn't cleaning and he clearly stated, "mam,
it means that YOU have to continuously clean it."

That said and three teens later, we now own two microwaves and a new double
jen-air oven that is clean and not used that often. :o )
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

news:o g1eRBinFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:
>
>> Is there a registry clean application for XP?
>

> No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
>
> I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed and are far
> more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

August 11, 2005 2:17:07 AM

To let all of the sunshine in, use Reg-Sol. :o )

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a registry clean application for XP?

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:38:12 AM

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a registry clean application for XP?

There is no built-in registry cleaner and there is no need to
clean the registry under WinXP. You may want to use third-party
software, however, I do not recommend doing that. There is no
benefit but there is a high risk to render applications or the
entire system useless.

--
d-d
Anonymous

In news:%233KxeMinFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> typed:

> Ken,
>
> Reminds me of the time I called Sears (over 20 years ago) to
> ask why
> my Continuously Self-Cleaning Oven wasn't cleaning and he
> clearly
> stated, "mam, it means that YOU have to continuously clean it."

LOL!

Please reply to the newsgroup

> That said and three teens later, we now own two microwaves and
> a new
> double jen-air oven that is clean and not used that often. :o )

> news:o g1eRBinFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:
>>
>>> Is there a registry clean application for XP?
>>

>> No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
>>
>> I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
>> and
>> are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
August 11, 2005 6:22:13 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:28:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as WinXP
>does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x versions.

It doesn't? RegsupremePro frequently finds hundreds of invalid entries
in deep scan mode.

> The problem with
>generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
>necessary entries, they are best avoided.

RegspremePro has never done that to me. Nor EasyCleaner for that
matter.
August 11, 2005 6:27:53 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:19:54 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
>and Regedit.exe.

If you don't mind spending the rest of your life searching through it
for invalid entries.

> Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
>use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
>inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
>no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
>products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
>or stability.

The use of a registry in the first place was a stupid idea as it has
been abused. Lot's of apps and games don't remove their reg entries
from the registry when uninstalling, spyware and adware exploit it. If
programmers wrote proper uninstall routines then we wouldn't need
registry cleaners.
August 11, 2005 6:29:20 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:56:47 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
>
>I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed
>and are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.

Bollocks. I've got four reg cleaners installed right now and not one
causes any issues.
August 11, 2005 6:31:52 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:38:12 GMT, "Detlev Dreyer"
<detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote:

>There is no built-in registry cleaner and there is no need to
>clean the registry under WinXP. You may want to use third-party
>software, however, I do not recommend doing that. There is no
>benefit but there is a high risk to render applications or the
>entire system useless.

Spoken like true MS weenies.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:28:58 PM

Connor wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:19:54 -0600, Bruce Chambers
> <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>

>> The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
>>and Regedit.exe.
>

> If you don't mind spending the rest of your life searching through it
> for invalid entries.

For what purpose? No one has ever demonstrated that there is any need
served or benefit to be derived from removing orphaned registry entries.
If you believe otherwise, I've some beach-front property in Nevada
I'll sell, real cheap.

> The use of a registry in the first place was a stupid idea as it has
> been abused.

And we're all waiting with bated breath for the new, improved operating
system that *you've* designed to hit the market.

> Lot's of apps and games don't remove their reg entries
> from the registry when uninstalling, spyware and adware exploit it.

That's the fault of lazy and/or inept application and games developers,
not the registry.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:05:30 AM

Hi,

>>A native one? No. Third-party? Sure, but there is no need for them as
>>WinXP
>>does not suffer from the "registry bloat" common in earlier Win9x
>>versions.
>
> It doesn't? RegsupremePro frequently finds hundreds of invalid entries
> in deep scan mode.

Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these entries,
WinXP does not suffer from this issue.

>> The problem with
>>generic registry cleaners is that they often misidentify and remove
>>necessary entries, they are best avoided.
>
> RegspremePro has never done that to me. Nor EasyCleaner for that
> matter.

You've been lucky. I hope you continue to be.

--

"Connor" <Connor@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:28:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi,

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:28:49 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:05:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
>issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
>Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these entries,
>WinXP does not suffer from this issue.

Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:29:17 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:28:58 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> For what purpose? No one has ever demonstrated that there is any need
>served or benefit to be derived from removing orphaned registry entries.
> If you believe otherwise, I've some beach-front property in Nevada
>I'll sell, real cheap.

Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:08:00 AM

No operating system has no security flaws, and that has nothing to do with
the subject matter of this discussion.

--

"Praxiteles Democritus" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:05:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>Just because a "dead entry" exists does not mean it is going to cause
>>issues. People mistakenly believe these must be removed - they are wrong.
>>Earlier Win9x systems encountered problems with 'bloat' from these
>>entries,
>>WinXP does not suffer from this issue.
>
> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

August 14, 2005 5:46:39 AM

Wasn't too funny then, but I hear you and thanks for the reply.
Hope your vacation (10 candles) is going well. :o )
--

> In news:%233KxeMinFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> typed:
>
>> Ken,
>>
>> Reminds me of the time I called Sears (over 20 years ago) to ask why
>> my Continuously Self-Cleaning Oven wasn't cleaning and he clearly
>> stated, "mam, it means that YOU have to continuously clean it."
>

> LOL!

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> That said and three teens later, we now own two microwaves and a new
>> double jen-air oven that is clean and not used that often. :o )
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> news:o g1eRBinFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> In news:%23ZsqAHhnFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Sunshine <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> typed:

>>> No. There are only third-party registry cleaners.
>>>
>>> I recommend against all registry cleaners. They are not needed and
>>> are far more likely to cause a problem than to solve one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:21:32 AM

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?

Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and over
and over..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On 2005-08-14, Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
>> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
>
> Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and over
> and over..
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?

I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
the listed in the registry.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:26:46 PM

plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
> So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?
>
> I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
> but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
> It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
> the listed in the registry.

I don't encourage it, but..

Right-click the key and select Permissions.
Select Full for everyone and your user...
Now erase it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On 2005-08-14, Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
>> Yea, and XP has no security flaws too. What's your next magic trick?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Well, no one can say you don't make the same point over and over and
>> over and over..
>
> plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
>> So, how do I get rid of 2 hardware devices listed in the registry?
>>
>> I no longer have a NEC cdrom player or a Toshiba dvd-cdr device
>> but regedit for winxp won't let me remove the 2 listed devices.
>> It seems that when one changes hardware, winxp wants to keep it in
>> the listed in the registry.
>
> I don't encourage it, but..
>
> Right-click the key and select Permissions.
> Select Full for everyone and your user...
> Now erase it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Thank you.

I've read somewhere that winxp doesn't have the 32k limit
on the registry size like the other win variants,
but still think a cleanup may help bootup & performance even
if the performance wasn't noticable...
!