Sign in with
Your question

.::P4 mobo::.

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2003 10:51:33 AM

I'm not sure of which DDR P4 MOBO to buy, 845PE or SiS655? SiS 655 is good or not? anandtech says one thing and tom's other thing.
If I buy 845PE I'll get Abit BH7.
Any comments?

Other question is: when the memory run synk w/ p4 2.4B???

More about : mobo

a b à CPUs
March 27, 2003 11:46:36 PM

Anandtech used the best configuration possible to show the potential of these boards. Tom's used a much worse configuration to make the boards look bad. The 655 is a great chipset.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 29, 2003 8:29:41 PM

personally, i don't like SIS chipsets

as far as stability, nothing is better then an intel processor on an intel chipset.
Related resources
March 29, 2003 8:39:50 PM

RE: "as far as stability, nothing is better then an intel processor on an intel chipset."

Wow, you are new, aren't you!

Steph Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
March 30, 2003 6:39:15 AM

Because I'm new to posting on this board, doesn't mean i'm new to this industry.

From my own experience (and i've been responsible for the build out of over 5000 p4 machines in the last year as the production manager for an IPP). I've seen very very little issues with P4 processors on intel or intel chipset boards. The vast majority of our problems that require tech support or warranty service come from non-intel pci nics, and non-intel chipset boards.

Chipset is largely based on personal preference. I just am not pleased with SIS, I've had too many issues with them. I've watched the systems, and from my own real world experience, the P4 runs faster on the intel chipset then the SIS.
March 30, 2003 2:00:30 PM

"and from my own real world experience, the P4 runs faster on the intel chipset then the SIS."
LOL If anything the sis runs faster on realworldbenches and as witnessed by numerous reviewers opinions and by a vast majority of diffrent sis655 owners evryone says that 655 not only feels faster but they get overall higher bench scores then any other chipset and that to a budget price.

Frankly im not suprised over the fanboyism. before it was amd vs intel now its intel vs sis :eek:  lmao
March 30, 2003 2:06:30 PM

if you don't oc the sis will be faster, if tyou start ocing the sis will more likely be the one to give you trouble,

i have an asus P4EP cpu 2.4 and ddr400 corsair ocin is a breeze

SL6EF OC's GOOD
March 30, 2003 2:40:14 PM

Yes i agree. Let's say for 'mild' overclocks (range between 160-170 FSB) the 655 will do ok, but if you wanna go higher then it gets tougher unless you are a really good hardcore overclocker then you can tweak one or two things to get the board were you want it (+a little help with good components). :) 
March 30, 2003 8:32:00 PM

Maybe fanboyism. I'm completely honest about what products I trust and have confidence in to work everytime, and that I won't have to mess with.

As far as realworld benchmarks, I take them all with a grain of salt. I don't know if the drivers were loading in the correct order and according to microsoft and intel there is a very specific driver load protocal for the P4 on and intel chipset mainboard. It's also not my customer, running netware client, with weather bug, av software, im software, and how every many processes they may be running when they decide to open up a particular program. It's a labratory test, where they're only running the base install, the base startup files and that benchmark and what ever programs it requires. All these systems the benchmarks are ranon are designed for the best possible results. They the machines that gamers and hardware people would run. They are not the machine being used by the average user.
!