OEM versus UPGRADE

Hi All
If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the difference
between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then not getting any support
from microsoft?
The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either copy,is this
corect ?
Thanks
--
Carl G
15 answers Last reply

    In news:ezduNhhnFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> typed:

    > If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the
    > difference between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then
    > not
    > getting any support from microsoft?
    > The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either
    > copy,is
    > this corect ?

    Assuming that you get a complete generic OEM CD, not one
    customized for a particular computer, yes, the operating system
    is the same.

    The OEM version has the following disadvantages as compared with
    the retail version:

    1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
    installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
    sold, or given away.

    2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

    3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
    them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
    from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
    non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
    newsgroups.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    An Upgrade will upgrade an existing operating system, from Windows 98 through Windows 2000 (XP Pro only for Win2K upgrades). It will also do a clean installation, as long as you can provide a fully installable (not recovery) CD as proof of eligibility for the upgrade.

    An OEM version will only do a clean installation, so ensure you have all the necessary drivers, programs and anything else you want to be able to reinstall.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message news:ezduNhhnFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > Hi All
    > If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the difference
    > between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then not getting any support
    > from microsoft?
    > The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either copy,is this
    > corect ?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Carl G

    Hi Doug
    Thank you for the fast reply.
    Yes i have everything on cd.
    Just wanted to make sure i get the standard version of windows and not a
    cheap version with half of the system missing because i was to cheap to
    spend a couple more bucks.
    thanks again Doug.

    --
    Carl G
    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    An Upgrade will upgrade an existing operating system, from Windows 98
    through Windows 2000 (XP Pro only for Win2K upgrades). It will also do a
    clean installation, as long as you can provide a fully installable (not
    recovery) CD as proof of eligibility for the upgrade.

    An OEM version will only do a clean installation, so ensure you have all the
    necessary drivers, programs and anything else you want to be able to
    reinstall.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message

    > Hi All
    > If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the difference
    > between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then not getting any support
    > from microsoft?
    > The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either copy,is this
    > corect ?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Carl G

    The OEM and Upgrade versions (assuming that they're both the original, have SP1 or have SP2 included) are the same then there is no difference in what's included. Since OEM versions were intended to be pre-installed on new computers, the ability to use them to upgrade is not included.

    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message news:eUAknphnFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Doug
    > Thank you for the fast reply.
    > Yes i have everything on cd.
    > Just wanted to make sure i get the standard version of windows and not a
    > cheap version with half of the system missing because i was to cheap to
    > spend a couple more bucks.
    > thanks again Doug.
    >
    > --
    > Carl G
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > An Upgrade will upgrade an existing operating system, from Windows 98
    > through Windows 2000 (XP Pro only for Win2K upgrades). It will also do a
    > clean installation, as long as you can provide a fully installable (not
    > recovery) CD as proof of eligibility for the upgrade.
    >
    > An OEM version will only do a clean installation, so ensure you have all the
    > necessary drivers, programs and anything else you want to be able to
    > reinstall.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All
    >> If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the difference
    >> between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then not getting any support
    >> from microsoft?
    >> The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either copy,is this
    >> corect ?
    >> Thanks
    >> --
    >> Carl G

    Hi Ken
    If i buy OEM cd am i the OEM or is my pc the OEM ?
    What i mean is , if I build myself a new pc can i take the hard drive out of
    this old pc and put it in a new pc for myself
    and sell the old pc with a new hard drive in it and no Operating System ?
    Thanks.

    --
    Carl G

    > Hi Ken
    > If i buy OEM cd am i the OEM or is my pc the OEM ?
    > What i mean is , if I build myself a new pc can i take the hard drive out
    > of this old pc and put it in a new pc for myself
    > and sell the old pc with a new hard drive in it and no Operating System ?
    > Thanks.

    Do you expect the new PC to have the same motherboard chipset, peripheral
    hardware with drivers, etc? This is a pipedream.

    Don't have to if i can keep my cd and reinstall windows.

    --
    Carl G
    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

    > "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ken
    >> If i buy OEM cd am i the OEM or is my pc the OEM ?
    >> What i mean is , if I build myself a new pc can i take the hard drive out
    >> of this old pc and put it in a new pc for myself
    >> and sell the old pc with a new hard drive in it and no Operating System ?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Do you expect the new PC to have the same motherboard chipset, peripheral
    > hardware with drivers, etc? This is a pipedream.

    You are misinformed on item 1.

    An "OEM" description used here is normally purchased with hardware. It is
    not tied to one platform forever. You can do a complete revamp of the PC
    its installed on, including the motherboard, and MS is glad to provide a new
    activation key by calling the number provided during the new XP install.
    Or, you can install XP using the OEM CD on another PC with similar results.

    MS doesn't care where the licensed copy of any XP is installed, as long a
    you only use and have one installation of this. That's the bottom line and
    intent of the license.

    The term "OEM" when used with a name brand PC and a recovery XP CD, or the
    manufacturers custom install XP CD, or the recovery hidden partition are
    only intended to be used on that particular PC only.

    > In news:ezduNhhnFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> typed:
    >
    > > If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the
    > > difference between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then
    > > not
    > > getting any support from microsoft?
    > > The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either
    > > copy,is
    > > this corect ?
    >

    > Assuming that you get a complete generic OEM CD, not one
    > customized for a particular computer, yes, the operating system
    > is the same.
    >
    > The OEM version has the following disadvantages as compared with
    > the retail version:
    >

    > 1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
    > installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
    > sold, or given away.
    >

    > 2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.
    >

    > 3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
    > them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
    > from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
    > non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
    > newsgroups.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the difference
    >between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then not getting any support
    >from microsoft?
    >The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either copy,is this
    >corect ?
    >Thanks

    OEM licenses are permanently locked to the first computer that they
    are installed on and cannot be legitimately transferred to another
    computer even if the first computer is stolen, destroyed, or scrapped.

    Retail licenses belong to the purchaser and can be moved from computer
    to computer to computer as the purchaser sees fit, provided that the
    license is only installed on a single computer at any time.

    OEM versions that come bundled with new computers can have significant
    differences from the retail version. Among the major possible
    differences are:
    - Some of these OEM versions make it very difficult (and may require
    additional expense) in order to use the Files and Settings Transfer
    Wizard.
    - Some of these OEM versions will not allow you to boot to the Windows
    XP Recovery Console so as to fix certain problems.
    - Some of these OEM versions will not allow you to do a "Repair
    Install" (also called an "in-place upgrade") of your Windows XP.

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In news:%23vZeTcinFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> typed:

    > Hi Ken
    > If i buy OEM cd am i the OEM or is my pc the OEM ?
    > What i mean is , if I build myself a new pc can i take the hard
    > drive
    > out of this old pc and put it in a new pc for myself

    The rule, as I said below, is that the operating system's license
    restricts it to the first computer it's installed on; the license
    is only good on the same computer. The problem is that the EULA
    doesn't define exactly what you have to keep to have it be "the
    same computer." Many people have different points of view on
    this, but until (or unless) a court of law hears and rules on
    this, they are all nothing but opinions.

    I'm not a lawyer, but if it ever came to a court case, I think
    you'd have a hard time defending the point of view that all you
    needed to keep to make it "the same computer" was the hard drive.

    > and sell the old pc with a new hard drive in it and no
    > Operating
    > System ? Thanks.

    Of course you can do that. There's no os licensing issue there at
    all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:ezduNhhnFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> typed:
    >>
    >>> If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is
    >>> the
    >>> difference between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then
    >>> not
    >>> getting any support from microsoft?
    >>> The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either
    >>> copy,is this corect ?
    >>

    >> Assuming that you get a complete generic OEM CD, not one
    >> customized
    >> for a particular computer, yes, the operating system is the
    >> same.
    >>
    >> The OEM version has the following disadvantages as compared
    >> with the
    >> retail version:
    >>

    >> 1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
    >> installed on. It can never legally be moved to another
    >> computer,
    >> sold, or given away.
    >>

    >> 2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.
    >>

    >> 3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't
    >> call
    >> them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed
    >> support from
    >> your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
    >> non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in
    >> these
    >> newsgroups. --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you Dave,

    --
    Carl G
    > You are misinformed on item 1.
    >
    > An "OEM" description used here is normally purchased with hardware. It is
    > not tied to one platform forever. You can do a complete revamp of the PC
    > its installed on, including the motherboard, and MS is glad to provide a
    > new
    > activation key by calling the number provided during the new XP install.
    > Or, you can install XP using the OEM CD on another PC with similar
    > results.
    >
    > MS doesn't care where the licensed copy of any XP is installed, as long a
    > you only use and have one installation of this. That's the bottom line
    > and
    > intent of the license.
    >
    > The term "OEM" when used with a name brand PC and a recovery XP CD, or the
    > manufacturers custom install XP CD, or the recovery hidden partition are
    > only intended to be used on that particular PC only.

    >> In news:ezduNhhnFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> typed:
    >>
    >> > If i go to say, walmart, and buy a CD with win XP, what is the
    >> > difference between an OEM copy and an Upgrade copy,other then
    >> > not
    >> > getting any support from microsoft?
    >> > The operating system itself is the exactly the same on either
    >> > copy,is
    >> > this corect ?
    >>

    >> Assuming that you get a complete generic OEM CD, not one
    >> customized for a particular computer, yes, the operating system
    >> is the same.
    >>
    >> The OEM version has the following disadvantages as compared with
    >> the retail version:
    >>

    >> 1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
    >> installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
    >> sold, or given away.
    >>

    >> 2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.
    >>

    >> 3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
    >> them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
    >> from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
    >> non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
    >> newsgroups.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:22:20 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
    <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

    >The OEM and Upgrade versions (assuming that they're both the original, have SP1 or have SP2 included) are the same then there is no difference in what's included. Since OEM versions were intended to be pre-installed on new computers, the ability to use them to upgrade is not included.

    Hey Doug

    Turn your word wrap on eh

    8-)

    Ta

    Jonah

    Wraps fine, here.

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:53:00 -0500, "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom>
    wrote:

    >Thank you Dave,

    NOTE, Carl, that Dave is completely in error about Ken Blake's Point
    (1) in his post:

    These are the facts: The OEM EULA plainly states the conditions under
    which an OEM license may be transferred. E.G. The only way a
    particular OEM license may be transferred is by fulfilling ALL these
    conditions:
    1) Wholesale transferrence of that particular COMPLETE machine, either
    by sale or as a gift to another person.
    2) The OEM license which was initially installed on it, and all copies
    of the OEM media, plus all materials provided with the media, such as
    the COA sticker containing the Product Key used to install the media
    and the little Microsoft booklet which introduces XP to the new owner.
    3) The old owner may not keep any copies of the installation media,
    either on one of his hard drives, or in the form of an archival copy
    such as a CD or DVD, for himself. Nor may he pass out copies to his
    friends and family while he still possesses the license.
    4) The new owner must himself agree to abide by all the conditions of
    the license. This does not mean that the new owner must agree with
    the wisdom, necessity, or intelligence of the conditions(since a man's
    thought life cannot be legislated by other men), only that he must
    agree to abide by the conditions as stated.

    It would probably be a good idea to draw up a legal document assigning
    all rights of the license and machine to the new owner and give it to
    him, and keep a copy for yourself in a safe place. As an added
    measure of protection, don't forget to have both your's and the new
    ower's signatures notarized. These are not conditions of the license,
    only my advice.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    It don't on my reader, the line just goes and goes.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Wraps fine, here.

    "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:22:20 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
    > <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>The OEM and Upgrade versions (assuming that they're both the original,
    >>have SP1 or have SP2 included) are the same then there is no difference in
    >>what's included. Since OEM versions were intended to be pre-installed on
    >>new computers, the ability to use them to upgrade is not included.
    >
    > Hey Doug
    >
    > Turn your word wrap on eh
    >
    > 8-)
    >
    > Ta