Why does Windows Update lie?

I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it annoying
that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are misleading. I do
not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes something that is listed
as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times that.

Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
much beyond what you expect it to be!

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it
    > annoying that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are
    > misleading. I do not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes
    > something that is listed as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times
    > that.
    >
    > Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
    > much beyond what you expect it to be!
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jeff Stevens
    > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    > jeff@stevens.com

    The figures quoted assume that your dial-up is connecting at the theoretical
    max for your particular dial-up. You are probably connecting at far below
    the theoretical max. You have dial-up. You have no right to complain about
    d/l times. If you are going to accept dial-up, you have to accept horrific
    d/l times. It is a fact of life with dial-up.

    Bobby

    I am on a T1 connection. Microsoft servers are very SLOW! DO NOT just
    blame the user!

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
    >I am on a T1 connection. Microsoft servers are very SLOW! DO NOT just
    >blame the user!

    I live in Hawaii, about 2,000 miles out in the frakin' middle of the Pacific
    Ocean, and I still get download speeds above 4MBps from the MS download
    site. Don't know why you say they are slow...

    Bobby

    "I'm on dialup"

    There's your problem.

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:
    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:20:05 -0400, "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote:

    >that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are misleading.

    Maybe not so misleading. Those times are based of an actual 56K
    connect of which no one ever gets 56K. As you, we are on dialup in
    our rural home. The price we pay to live in the "Real" country.... no
    cable, no DSL, no wireless. On a good day, we connect at 28K. Sooo,
    while M$ and others report download times based on 56K for dialup
    users, that 28K we actually get takes more than twice as long... Not
    M$'s fault for once.

    Do like we do, when there are updates, I write down the KB number of
    the updates and when I goto work, I goto:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    and download the updates and burn them to disk to take home. Or I do
    the same by taking my laptop to a wireless hotspot and do it that way.
    Either way, we have an actual copy of all the updates. If we ever do a
    restoration on any of our machines, we don't have to download the
    updates again as we have them on disk.

    Regards,
    Ed

    "Donny Broome" <broomeman@hotmail.DOTcom> wrote in message
    > "I'm on dialup"
    >
    > There's your problem.

    No, that is not "the" problem. Microsoft's estimate says it's estimate is
    based on "your connection speed". It's the estimate that is way off.

    Jeff

    > "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it
    >> annoying that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are
    >> misleading. I do not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes
    >> something that is listed as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times
    >> that.
    >>
    >> Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
    >> much beyond what you expect it to be!
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Jeff Stevens
    >> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    >> jeff@stevens.com

    Absolutely right! We have an honest man here except just knee-jerk defenders
    of Microsoft. Thanks.

    If I could get broadband I'd get it in a second. It is just not yet
    available in my area.

    Jeff

    In news:OG5slHinFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jeff <jeff@naol.com> typed:

    > I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find
    > it
    > annoying that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates
    > are
    > misleading. I do not mean that they are slightly off, but
    > sometimes
    > something that is listed as a 30 minute download ends up being
    > 3-4
    > times that.

    The problem is that these are nothing but estimates. The actual
    download speed you achieve depends on a number of factors, for
    example what kind of local telephone lines you have, and how busy
    the servers are. So how good the estimates are vary substantially
    depending on where you're located, when you do the download, etc.

    > Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up
    > the
    > phone much beyond what you expect it to be!

    It's not just Microsoft. You'd likely have the same problem with
    any download site you used that gave you estimates.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:20:05 -0400, "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote:

    >I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it annoying
    >that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are misleading. I do
    >not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes something that is listed
    >as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times that.

    Note that these times are ALL "optimum" and dependant on MANY things,
    but MOST of all on the speed of your connection, and how many OTHERS
    are downloading from the same server. Theoretically, the times it
    gives for downloads are for downloads UNDER THE BEST CIRCUMSTANCES.
    (best network conditions, best transmission rates, etc.) We know
    about "best circumstances", don't we? We all experience taking an
    extra 20 minutes to clean the kitchen, if it is especially dirty.
    Normally, it would not take those extra 20 minutes. But extra work
    must be done if the kitchen is dirtier than normal. In the same way,
    more time will be required for a download if Internet traffic (or
    traffic to or from the download server) is especially heavy at that
    time, or if it is raining outside, and our dial-up speed is taking a
    hit.

    >Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
    >much beyond what you expect it to be!

    Life is full of annoyances. The sign of a wise man is his ability to
    deal reasonably with minor annoyances, and not become flustered by
    interruptions.

    1) Microsoft does not maintain its servers just to please you or
    accommodate YOUR specific schedule. The Microsoft download servers
    accomodate MILLIONS of download requests per second. (and YOU are
    worried about downloading the latest fix. Don't you think Microsoft
    is anxious that you remain updated too?
    2) Accusing a machine or program of "lying" is kind of ignorant, since
    by its very nature, a machine or program CANNOT "lie" (deliberately
    deceive). It takes INTELLIGENCE to "deliberately deceive." Machines
    CANNOT do anything "deliberately", since they possess no
    "intelligence". All a machine can to is what it is instructed to do.
    In addition, those instructions must be logical (bit-wise) and
    syntactically correct.

    Are you saying that Microsoft has INTENTIONALLY INSTRUCTED a RANDOM
    server to INTENTIONALLY give ONLY you, and EXPRESSLY you, the WRONG
    information all the time?. Machines do not base things on "right and
    wrong", they base their "decisions" and actions on WRITTEN
    instructions, tables, and other numerical and logical(bit-wise) data.

    If this is so, then Microsoft is truly evil. However, I believe that
    you are simply MISINTERPRETING what you are seeing, and projecting
    your hatred of Microsoft onto a machine. Perhaps you need to stop
    using computers, since you apparently can't deal with them in an
    intelligent manner. If you want to properly use machines, you MUST
    first realize that they are not "alive", and have no "intelligence" or
    "emotional responses", no matter what you may have observed in the
    past, or what you might observe in the future.

    Considering that YOU logged on to Microsoft's RANDOM download server
    at a totally RANDOM time, "Microsoft" would have had absolutely NO
    IDEA who you are.

    What you ARE experiencing is "load balancing". All server farms, such
    as the Microsoft download farms, practice this, to fairly utilize the
    maximum bandwidth at any given time.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    In article <OG5slHinFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jeff@naol.com says...
    > I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it annoying
    > that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are misleading. I do
    > not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes something that is listed
    > as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times that.
    >
    > Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
    > much beyond what you expect it to be!

    Have you checked to see if your connection speed has changed during the
    session?

    Have you done anything else that you use your download bandwidth?

    Do you have Automatic Updates enabled? If so, while you're manually
    downloading updates the Automatic Update process could also be
    downloading updates - cutting your performance in half.

    The time is based in a snapshot of your speed at the moment of the test,
    so, if something changes your time changes, but it doesn't update once
    the downloads start.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Jeff wrote:

    > I'm on dialup (no broadband available in my area yet) so I find it annoying
    > that the times listed for downloads of Windows updates are misleading. I do
    > not mean that they are slightly off, but sometimes something that is listed
    > as a 30 minute download ends up being 3-4 times that.
    >
    > Why does Microsoft do that? It's very annoying when it ties up the phone
    > much beyond what you expect it to be!

    They are Microsoft Minutes.

    Steve

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP