Error 1402 - Registry Permissions Issue

I'm having problems installing itunes and getting a registry access
error 1402 - Could not open key.

The problem is with the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AUDIOCD\SHELL\PLAY

Seems to be a permissions problem, but giving full access in my
registry doesn't fix ...

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Kelly .. Thx for quick response .. I'm using xp home so not sure this
applies. Any other ideas.

Kelly wrote:
> Run the install under an account with Admin privileges and/or the system
> admin account as this is being written to Local Machine. Other than that,
> check with itunes.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> <amusgrave@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having problems installing itunes and getting a registry access
> > error 1402 - Could not open key.
> >
> > The problem is with the following key:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AUDIOCD\SHELL\PLAY
> >
> > Seems to be a permissions problem, but giving full access in my
> > registry doesn't fix ...
> >
> > Any ideas would be most appreciated.

kelly

Run the install under an account with Admin privileges and/or the system
admin account as this is being written to Local Machine. Other than that,
check with itunes.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

<amusgrave@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I'm having problems installing itunes and getting a registry access
> error 1402 - Could not open key.
>
> The problem is with the following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AUDIOCD\SHELL\PLAY
>
> Seems to be a permissions problem, but giving full access in my
> registry doesn't fix ...
>
> Any ideas would be most appreciated.

kelly

You are most welcome. :eek:) Home has nothing to do with your privileges. To
gain access to your System Admin account in Home: Boot to Safe Mode, and
logon.

How to boot into Safe Mode:

You need to hit F8 during boot, just after the BIOS info switches to black
screen. Or...

Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Boot.Ini and check off /SafeBoot. Apply/Ok,
reboot.
Note: Before leaving safe mode, revert.

Tip:

TweakUI/Logon/Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen

Or...

Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen (Line 5)

Note:

If you have disabled the built in administrator account, booting into
Safe Mode will automatically enable it again (temporarily, for that
Safe Mode session).

Added note: If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift
as the system boots up.

--

> Kelly .. Thx for quick response .. I'm using xp home so not sure this
> applies. Any other ideas.
>

> Kelly wrote:
>> Run the install under an account with Admin privileges and/or the system
>> admin account as this is being written to Local Machine. Other than
>> that,
>> check with itunes.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> <amusgrave@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm having problems installing itunes and getting a registry access
>> > error 1402 - Could not open key.
>> >
>> > The problem is with the following key:
>> >
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AUDIOCD\SHELL\PLAY
>> >
>> > Seems to be a permissions problem, but giving full access in my
>> > registry doesn't fix ...
>> >
>> > Any ideas would be most appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS