XPS 8300 questions

jarredmill

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,

First off just wanted to say this is a great site and ive used it before on help with a dell xps 1550 laptop.
My question is this, Im looking to privately buy a dell xps 8300.
Ive read some forums on recalled MOBO's or sandy bridge recalls. Im looking to get rid of my ps3,360 and hopefully upgrade to a decent gaming machine. Ive picked this machine because of a straight up trade.

Here is the info he provided.

Intel® Core™ i5-23200M (processor 3.0 GHz/6MB cache); 6GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHZ - 4 DIMMs (16Gb Max), 1 TB HDD, ATI Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3, Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio PC™sound, Dell 1520 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & internal antenna, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit, English

It was purchased almost a year ago but never used, plastic is still on the computer.

I understand I can upgrade. I dont claim to have any experience with computers, although I have been researching and hould be able to absorb most of your much appreciated feedback/suggestions.

Thanks again.

If you look online, im sure each and every PC / Laptop will have some reviews that are unfavorable or where people have had issues. usually when it's a full recall by the company, they will replace the recalled part (s) for you without a problem.
Dell XPS systems are great. Especially for gaming. yes, you CAN upgrade any of those specs. if your doing alot of high end gaming on a hi-res screen, you will probably want to upgrade to at least 8gb RAM and upgrade to a better Vid. Card.
beyond that, it's a nice system and would serve you well.

2ltjoel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
i have a dell xps 8300. i bought it last september

my specs are:

i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz
8gb ram 1333mhz
1.25gb gtx 560 ti

My mobo, a H61 model, can hold up to 16gb of ram if i am not wrong. So there is definitely room for memory upgrade on your PC.

You can also upgrade your card to what i have from dell. If you want a better card, you may have to get a better PSU as the xps 8300's psu is only 460w.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
My friend has an XPS 8300. Same specs as what you listed, apart from processor and RAM (Worse i5 and 8GB of RAM instead of 6.) It seems to play all modern games on high settings. He isn't really a huge gamer, but he plays D3 on Ultra at 60 FPS, as well as MineCraft with shaders and maxed settings while recording in 1080P.