Using other Mfg Power Supplies with ACER ASPIRE 4520 Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni3

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
can anyone tell me, on the Power Supply, There are 3 wires in the cable; red, black, and a brown. What is the function and voltage of the brown wire?

What kind of power supply is this, AC/DC? Is this on the DC side of the transformer? Generally there's only two cables on the DC side, not three - is the connector proprietary?

I doubt it's on the AC side since standard AC coloring is white and black. It's either going to be a ground or a positive lead (obviously). Since you've got the adapter torn up anyway, why not just plug it to a multimeter and find out?

Nokoni3

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
The brown wire on the PS end came loose from an epoxied area that would be very difficult to re-attach it to without doing some major surgery. The reason im asking is i have another Power supply that offers the same voltage ratings but has 4) wires , and i cannot match it correctly unless i know what was on this one. The bad one is a HI CAPACITY 75W POWER SUPPLY. Thanks.

...again, is this some kind of proprietary connector? 4 wires? That's almost unheard of. I wouldn't operate on a PSU myself unless it was a standard one. Is this on the DC side? Where did the wire come loose from? Can you still test it with a multimeter? Why not tear it apart...it's not like you can use it in the fashion it currently sits.

Status
Not open for further replies.