DDR333 & CPU & More

deekemon

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
First I would like to thank rcj for taking the time to respond to my questions. But, as you know, with one question answered, 3 are spawn.

DDR333, this is basically the standard of ddr memory. I have been planning on going with Kingston Hyperx 2 sticks of 256 cas2. Well, I would go higher however I recall reading the difference between say DDR333 and DDR400 isnt significant enough to justify the money. Your opinions on this? Kingston... a decent brand yes?

Hmmm, They was a comparison of all the top hsf's recently (about 2 months ago at most) tom's liked the vantec aerfolow. However I run into alot of person recommendations for the volcano 7, What do you think?

And last the question I really cant derive a straight answer from. Well a thread posted about 1 week ago got me feels a little queezy. Basically for the money the P4 2.53 killed the Barton 2500. I dont want to leave the route of AMD. FSB and cache prove important and the barton is nice for $175. However the 1700 (T-Bred B) is wildy popular and a significant $125 cheaper. 66mhz less FSB and a fraction of the cache. Well if I went this way, hell yes I would overclock. Just my question here is, is the 1700 a stable platform to do heavy sound and graphics. I really dont know how valuable more cache and fsb will prove. Oh and its either 2500 Barton or 1700 Tbred B, 2400+ proves too expensive where I can purchase a Barton and Overclock. LoL and another good thing I find about the 1700 is, $50 few months upgrade. I dunno as always dying for ur opinions

Thanks Again You Guys,

Jake

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
As far as the HSF, go to the HSF section of this board and you'll find tons of info. (I went through 20+ pages with good info). I would recommend thermalright, thermaltak, and the vantec is a nice HSF. The reason I won't go thermalright, is cause it's a little heavier than others, and it's huge, so 1. I don't know if I'll crush the core 2. I don't know if it'll fit my mobo.

DDR333 has proved to be equal if not better than DDR400. Toms has proved this and I think it's up to you to decide. DDR400 has beaten 333 in some apps, but I think that was only a minor percentage. I plan on going PC3200 TWINX just cause. Many people on this board has not recommended me/other people about kingston, so I don't know if it's good or not. BUT people have said "buy corsair" on many occasions. It's up to you.

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
you can overclock your FSB of your CPU to run in synch with your memory.

example: if you can only get your CPU freq to 190 per say, that's 380 FSB speeds.
with DDR400, you can UNDERCLOCK to run in synch @ 380 FSB
with DDR333, you would have to OVERCLOCK to run in synch @ 300 FSB

If you underclock, better chance you can get agressive mem timings as well. If you over, no telling the outcome.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
the 1700 will be more than good enough for the work you say you will be doing once it is oc.. raise the bus to 166mhz lower the multiplier to 9 ensure it runs happily and then slowly raise the multiplier until you hit stability problems then back off a notch. oc should always be done slowly and carefully to minimise the risk of damaging your cpu

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.