Problems with Verification and other nastiness

a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 1:13:03 AM

I purchased a Gateway laptop on eBay and now I cannot update it as it says it
fails validation. I requested and recieved an XP Pro SP2 disc from
Microsoft, but I cannot find a way to change the product key on the laptop
without reinstalling. I don't want to do that, because this laptop also has
a copy of Office XP that I have no disc for (I tried requesting a replacement
one from Microsoft, but they never returned my e-mail.) I also have a lot of
data and programs already on the computer. Is there a way to change the
product ID without wiping the drive?
August 11, 2005 3:37:36 AM

1. eBay is not the only way.
2. Buy a legit system and own your own software.
3. Repair the Windows XP Installation

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or
contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run
WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
press ENTER: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is
displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the
license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is
selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow
the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315341

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)