Best Palm PDA

October 23, 2004 1:21:51 AM

I have a IIIXE and want to replace it with another Palm that I can use my
old programs. Any suggestions are appreciated.

More about : palm pda

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:26:19 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:21:51 GMT, Norm had this to say...

> I have a IIIXE and want to replace it with another Palm that I can use my
> old programs. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nope, most of the new PDA's must use newer programs, most of your old
programs will have to be upgraded to newer versions. Those few that have
no updates, will have to be left behind.
Use TrackerDog <http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/&gt; on your IIIxe and see
what's upgradeable. Trackerdog can download the upgrades automatically,
but does not install them.

Battery life will be a BIG disappointment to you. Instead of 3-4 weeks
with AAA batteries, you can only expect 3-6 hours of use.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Norm wrote:
> I have a IIIXE and want to replace it with another Palm that I can use my
> old programs. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If cost is a factor: Tungsten T2 (don't waste your time and money with a
T3). Your best buy will come from eBay (as always, read the seller's
feedback carefully).

If cost is not a factor: Tapwave Zodiac 2 (by far the best bang for your
Palm buck, at this time -- don't waste your time with a T5). Your best
bet is to buy from CompUSA or Amazon.

bblackmoor
2004-10-22
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:50:24 AM

In article <MPG.1be344fd7724f7fc9898cf@news.frontiernet.net>, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:21:51 GMT, Norm had this to say...
>

> > I have a IIIXE and want to replace it with another Palm that I can use my
> > old programs. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Nope, most of the new PDA's must use newer programs, most of your old
> programs will have to be upgraded to newer versions. Those few that have
> no updates, will have to be left behind.
> Use TrackerDog <http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/&gt; on your IIIxe and see
> what's upgradeable. Trackerdog can download the upgrades automatically,
> but does not install them.

I don't know about "most." Check with the developer if in doubt but
"well-behaved" (a PalmSource term) applications should run on a Garnet
(Palm OS 5) device.

Of course, it would help to know what "old programs" you have.

> Battery life will be a BIG disappointment to you. Instead of 3-4 weeks
> with AAA batteries, you can only expect 3-6 hours of use.

If you buy a new PDA with a color screen ... The Zire and Zire 21 should
last longer.

I'd suggest considering the Tungsten E or the Zire 31 as a first step.
Warning: they both have color screens.

You might also look into purchasing a Palm PDA refurbished or from open
box to save some money. You can find them at www.palmone.com or
www.overstock.com.
October 24, 2004 1:51:30 AM

While the color screens are nice the battery life is truly horrible on
the new Palms (I have a T3). I was forced to buy a car and plug charger
because I travel. This was an unexpected expense when trading up.
That said, color is great.

!