Sign in with
Your question

In search of silence.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2003 4:30:07 PM

If anyone thought that I was mad before, this one will probably leave little doubt...

Okay, so imagine combining a <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-swi-04.h..." target="_new">Swiftech MCX462+</A> with a <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/duc-07.html" target="_new"> 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor</A> and an <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-33.html?..." target="_new">Enermax 120mm fan with speed control</A>. Oh, yes, and also using <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/scr-07.html" target="_new">rubber grommets</A> to reduce vibrational noise.

1) Am I just plain nuts?
2) Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
3) Does anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't fit onto an Epox EP-8RDA+ motherboard and/or an Antec SONATA case?

Believe it or not, it's not for OCing purposes. I just wanted a very low noise heatsink for an Athlon that could pretty much take any amount of heat that you throw at it.

I know that I could go with a watercooling solution instead, but those kits generally cost more (the above parts cost about $80) and a watercooler usually still has a fan on the radiator anyway. (So in other words, it's really not likely to be any quieter in the end.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

More about : search silence

March 27, 2003 7:14:43 PM

Slvr, ever since the Tbred B, including 1700+ and 2100+, Athlons have become powerhouse overclockers with extremly cool conditions (perhaps even rivaling Pentium 4s to some extent), and the need for noisy fans to cool them has become irrelevant. Just ask so many here, including Metal Rocker who uses a Volcano 7/7+ hybrid mod, at low speeds, and achieves dead cool temps of 31ºC around full load on an overclocked system. Most get their 1.47GHZ to 2.2GHZ, and still maintain temps in mid-40s for load. With that in mind, an easy Volcano 7+ with fan control will be more than enough, or you can mod a 7 to use the 7+ copper HSF and with the fan switch to achieve maximal power. I guarantee you no longer need expensive hardware to cool properly with little noise.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
March 27, 2003 7:54:28 PM

If that's crazy then I'm right there with ya. I actually made two smart moves to quiet my box that I'm very happy with.

1. Purchased an Antec 1080 server case (which was much thicker than my POS Turbocase and SO much quieter).

2. Just like Eden said, I bought an XP 2100 T-Bred B chip. My chip OC's happily to ~2100 mhz and I keep my 7+ on low (option of low, medium, and high). To give you an idea I used to run my OC'd XP Palomino on High and it sounded like a plane turbine. New T-Bred processor temps haven't risen about 45C at full load.

With those two additions it's hard to tell my PC's even on and I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately, I spent 125$ for the case and 93$ for the new CPU (in which case get that 80$ watercooler!!!) but it's just another option.

<font color=purple><i>If I had a notch on my belt for every PC I'd destroyed, I'd have a really crappy looking belt</i></font color=purple>
Related resources
March 27, 2003 7:57:03 PM

Actually, the reason for the insanity was three-fold.

1) It is attached directly to the motherboard so that no matter how much the PC gets moved, the heat sink will never budge.

2) In case of a failure in the heat sink's fan, however unlikely, the heat sink is so big (and consequently located between the intake for the PSU's exhaust fan and the case's extra 120mm rear exhaust fan) that it likely would operate pretty well even under a heat sink fan failure.

3) Most importantly: the heat sink's fan only produces 22db of noise.

Now, we know that the Volcano7+ doesn't screw into the mobo. However if I remember correctly, it's light enough and has a 3-tab clip. So it should stay in place. I won't worry much about #1.

Number 2, well, hopefully the motherboard's thermal protection will suffice to prevent a burnout should the heat sink's fan fail. So I won't worry about this one either.

So on to the most important, #3: Will the Volcano7/7+ hybrid mod (which had been another consideration actually) produce 22db of noise (or less) during a hot summer day without air conditioning?

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>
March 27, 2003 8:44:33 PM

on the last point: no

if you're not overclocking and really want a silent solution, what you have rigged up will be pretty good. but i'd say you don't even need a 120mm fan for no overclocking. the heatsink you've got is good enough to go with a really quiet 80cm and perform just fine for non-OC purposes. also, converters like the 120-80mm converter you were talking about restrict air a lot, so while it would probably move more air than just an 80mm (assuming the same noise level), it's not really worth the extra cost for the converter and the bigger fan.
get the mcx462+ and a really quiet 80mm

EDIT: i just saw the "any amount of heat you could throw at it," so this WILL be used for overclocking? even so, if you get a good chip and don't go too extreme with the overclocking you'll be ok

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=1..." target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LtBlue14 on 03/27/03 05:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2003 3:16:56 AM

I'd pass on the 120mm fan and get a Panaflow. They have an 80mm fan that's 28db and 32CFM. Now before you go off about how loud 28db is compared to 22db, remember that it's still going to be drown out by your hard drives, etc, and that the case will probably make the fan nearly inaudible.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 28, 2003 5:36:12 AM

Someone here just mentioned temps of 30-40C on full load!! I have a pentium 2.4B and it went to 50C while running the Sandra Burn in test. Should it happen?? I have 2 Small Chasis Fans one at the back for exhaust above CPU and one at the side for blowing in cool air. Should i change something?? And uh another thing does the stock HSF of P4 feature this fan control thing? I once recorded my temperatures for the day using asus probe and when looking at the history i found that when the temperature was at 30C the fan hovered around 3100-3200RPM and when the temp went t 45C(max) the fan also rotated at about 3500-3600 RPM. Thanx for the help.

<b><font color=blue>'When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you</b></font color=blue>
March 28, 2003 5:39:21 AM

Someone here just mentioned temps of 30-40C on full load!! I have a pentium 2.4B and it went to 50C while running the Sandra Burn in test. Should it happen?? I have 2 Small Chasis Fans one at the back for exhaust above CPU and one at the side for blowing in cool air. Should i change something?? And uh another thing does the stock HSF of P4 feature this fan control thing? I once recorded my temperatures for the day using asus probe and when looking at the history i found that when the temperature was at 30C the fan hovered around 3100-3200RPM and when the temp went t 45C(max) the fan also rotated at about 3500-3600 RPM. Thanx for the help.
And hey i just wanted to ask another thing and i dont want to make anew post for it. I was out buing a monitor yesterday and this guy came in with a non-working 1700+ Thoroughbred B. They seller blamed him of frying it and i thought that since the mobos now carry that thermal diode cutoff thingy for the athlons so how can the cpu be burnt. I looked at the proc and the inderside of the chip(with the pins) was a bit brownish/black. Is that the sign of a burnt cpu? The mobo was a MSI kt266 based one. thanx

<b><font color=blue>'When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you</b></font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2003 6:13:17 AM

Asus Probe is notoriously inaccurate. Even if those numbers were correct, they are still not worrysome.

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2003 6:15:39 AM

I don't think the KT266 boards had thermal protection. AMD relies on the motherboard to shut the power down when things get too hot.

March 28, 2003 6:27:03 AM

Ow ok. So when the proc burn the upper side remains ok and the underside blackens?

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2003 6:58:55 AM

Not nomally, but it would be possible, if the thing had good contact with the heatsink, and the whole thing overheated slowly.

March 28, 2003 12:09:58 PM

Quote:
also, converters like the 120-80mm converter you were talking about restrict air a lot, so while it would probably move more air than just an 80mm (assuming the same noise level), it's not really worth the extra cost for the converter and the bigger fan.

Actually, that was kind of the point as well. Fans generally tend to leave a dead zone down the middle and move air more at the outside edges. I was hoping that an 80mm to 120mm converter would cause enough turbulence to give a pretty solid air flow through all of the 80mm passageway. So my thought is that yes, it would restrict the amount of air flow, but it would also make the air flow more consistant across the whole heat sink. I could be wrong, but it was a thought.

And cost isn't entirely a concern. I may not even use such a monster in the end, but the system is already going to be using at least one Antec 120mm Smartfan in addition to the low RPM fan that comes with the Antec Sonata case, in an Antec Sonata case. I may also be looking into some acoustic dampening material to glue onto the inside of the case.

It'll definately be running with a UPS. (I'm currently looking at a BELKIN F6C500-SER-SB 500VA.) And I <i>might</i> even indulge in an <A HREF="http://www.matrixorbital.com/products/MX_Pics/MX214.jpg" target="_new">LCD display</A> from <A HREF="http://www.matrixorbital.com" target="_new">http://www.matrixorbital.com&lt;/A> as a 'toy' for myself. :) 

The mobo will likely be an Epox 8RDA+ and the RAM will likely be Corsair TwinX PC3200. (Unless Intel manages to <i>really</i> impress me by the summer, which is when I'll hopefully have the money to buy this stuff.)

If I have any luck getting the money that I hope to, this will be a system that will definately be built to stand the test of time, and will hopefully last for at least five years.

Quote:
EDIT: i just saw the "any amount of heat you could throw at it," so this WILL be used for overclocking? even so, if you get a good chip and don't go too extreme with the overclocking you'll be ok

It <i>might</i> be used for overclocking. I have to admit that if I can't get as much money as I like, OCing a TBredB 1700+ or a Barton 2500+ might be an option, at least to hold me until I can upgrade later.

However, if I have the money to, I don't plan on OCing. One must keep in mind that a P4 3.06GHz can put out 81.8W of heat according to Intel's P4 datasheets, and a Barton 3000+ can put out 74.3W according to AMD's electrical specifications. And both Intel and AMD will be releasing even higher speed versions of their chips before they finally shrink their process. So even without OCing, a top-notch chip can definately kick out some nasty heat if they have yet to release even higher clocked chips then their current top-notch Easy Bake Oven replacements.

March 28, 2003 2:18:09 PM

Hmm. I just noticed that Thermaltake now has a Volcano 11. It looks spiffy. It also looks to be really quiet. It just might be my new best friend. :)  (Okay, not really. I'm not <i>that</i> sick.)

Does anyone know how it compares to a Volcano 7+?

March 28, 2003 2:58:16 PM

Okay, I think Thermaltake is kicking arse. The Volcano 11 looks good. Adding <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/ductingMod..." target="_new">this</A> to the Volcano 11 looks even better.

Maybe I'm just falling for marketing crap, but it looks good to me. It probably isn't <i>quite</i> as cool as my $80 insanity, but for only about $45 I think it'll be good enough for me. :) 

!