webby25657

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi,

I have a 6 year old (approx) Sony KDL-32S3000 HD Ready Widescreen 16:9 LCD TV, and I have just purchased the latest Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Freeview + HD, Blu-Ray, and Hard Disc Recorder with Twin HD Tuners which is connected to the Sony TV with an HDMI Cable.

The Sony Manual says that the TV can support a maximum HD Screen Resolution of 1080i.

When the automatic resolution setting on the Panasonic unit is selected, 1080i/50 appears in the top left hand side of the Sony TV Screen and a stunning HD picture appears. Or at least it would be if the picture wasn't all squeezed in at the sides, making for a lot of very thin, tall people or text on screen!

I can tell you that the PAL System and a wide 16:9 setting is set on both the TV and the Pansonic Recorder.

Using a piece of card lined up with the edge of 'BBC3' on the closedown red screen of BBC3 as a reference, the measurement from the edge of the screen to the edge of the BBC3 Text differs by about 15mm between the Sony's Picture, and the same picture via the Panasonic Unit. That's 30mm's of Picture Squeeze. Very noticable!

The only way you can achieve anything close to the correct picture proportions (but even then, not exactly!) is by selecting a Screen Resolution setting of 576p/480P which is back in ED 'enhanced definition' territory, not full HD.

Now, I am not a geek, but neither am I an idiot!

I can tell you for certain, that no amount of juggling with settings on either the Sony TV or the Panasonic Recorder seems to be able to resolve this issue.

I have downloaded the latest Software Updates, all to no avail.

All in all I feel cheated because I bought an HD Ready TV, and when funds finally allowed, I bought a device capable of going fully HD and have ended up with a 'halfway house'.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated!

Steve Webster

P.S. I have yet to try another HDMI Cable, but the one I have seems decent quality, and my gut feeling is that that weon't resolve the issue either!

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
It almost has to be a TV setting. Make 110% sure your Picture mode is set to Normal, and not any of the zoom settings. Also, double check page 94, and 101 in your recorder manual. They have more information about which formats support which aspect ratios. Looks like a cool unit, too bad we don't have something similar here in the states.

webby25657

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Definitely not a wrong TV Setting. PAL System and 16:9 Widescreen are set, which is normal for the TV and I have looked at both the pages you mention in the manual, and can confirm that Normal Aspect is selected on the Panasonic unit, but if you select Auto or Manually select 1080i Resolution (which is supposed to be supported by the TV), then the picture is definitely squeezed in.