scibuff

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Lets suppose I have a HDMI switch box that takes two inputs and has one output and allows me to switch between which input I want to display on a device connected to the output (e.g. in #1 xbox, in #2 psp, out TV)

Can this be easily reversed, that is, if I have a single input (PC for example) can I plug it into the "output" on the box and use the switch to send the signal to either of two monitors connected to the "inputs" on the box if I only want one of the monitors on at a time? e.g. in #1 TV #1, in #2 TV #2, out PC

thank you

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
It can't be reversed. HDMI requires a hardware handshake that will not happen if you were to do what you have described, you might consider looking at an HDMI signal distribution block, that would do what you are describing. It simply produces an identical HDMI signal on both monitors. If you are dealing with an unsuppored resolution, the box is not smart enough to fix itself, so both monitors have to support the same Res.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/383151642-HDMI-Splitter-Amplifier-1x2-Dual-Output-1-to-2-1080p-Free-Shipping-1321-wholesalers.html

scibuff

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Thank you for your reply - that is a bummer because actually I don't want both monitors to be on at the same time. I would just like to have a switch box where I flip a switch and the output changes between the two screens (rather than to unplug and plug the cables). Would it be possible with DVI instead of HDMI?

scibuff

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Yes, that's what I'm hoping for ... but the PC output is DVI, so I first need DVI-to-HDMI and then back HDMI-DVI. Should work in theory but ... I'm a bit skeptical :D

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Sound will get stripped/will not exist. DVI does not carry sound because the port does not support it, not because the cable does not support it!

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

This is partially incorrect. Newer video cards (Nvidia 4xx or higher, and not sure on the ATI side) output Audio via their DVI connecters when used in conjunciton with an HDMI to DVI cable, or adapter. DVI used alone does not include audio.

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Ah interesting, thanks for the clarification! Out of curiosity, do you know if any consumer products accept sound over DVI?

azzamunza

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017

I find it amazing that in the world that we live in now. A simple mechanical switch could provide a bi-directional solution and not have to tackle these hurdles. So why can this not be turned an electronic solution?

Even if the power required to run the switch affects the timing or something, the design can be adjusted.

My two cents anyway, I say try and make a Mechanical Switch. Might actually be fun. Obviously, this post is rather old and probably not relevant anymore.

walterg74

Distinguished
May 14, 2008

Why? This is very easy.. becasue as stated before, communication is bidirectional... sya you have it hooked up, the video card “talks”to the monitor tomget its properties, etc.. both wouldmreply, signals would get mixed, what would the card interpret as correct? (Even assuming the signal gets back correctly)