Dell Latitude screen problem

I own a Dell Latitude A366XT. Bought it refurbed back in '01. For the
most part it has given me good service enough to justify not buying a
new one for now. The only consistent problem i've been having with it
is with the LCD display. Initially it used to flicker and then go out.
Everything would just fade into a white screen. One remedy i had for
this was to fold the laptop and then open it again in effect to get
the screen to flicker back on. I would do this at least a couple of
times until I got a steady signal. The problem degraded to the point
where nothing I did would get the signal back on. Typically, at this
point, I would give up using the computer for several weeks until i
found use for it again. At this time the display would be back to
normal and then after a couple of sessions of use the problem would
come back again and i would cycle through the above described
procedure.

I called up Dell about my problem. Really got no help from them. It
seems they typically get uncooperative after you reveal to them that
you are not the original owner of the system. I then took a more
proactive stance by going to ebay and bidding on the base unit for a
Dell Latitude figuring that the problem resided with the video card
and not the display screen.

After having received the used parts and swapping them out (used the
same memory, hard drive, and display screen), i power it up and voila
everything seems as good as new. Unfortunately after about several
months of use the same problem resurfaces. I gave up using the
computer for close to a year. Turned it back on last January when i
learned that the local coffee shop i go to just started implementing
wi-fi.

There is now a slight variation to the video display problems
described above. Instead of the blanked out white screen, i get a
consistent signal. The signal i get, though, is distorted giving
everything a sort of pinkish hue. Just to experiment, the only way i
would get normal colors is by pressing the LCD screen firmly enough
until some picture clarity is achieved. I don't want to elaborate any
further. I fear my posting has gotten a little long-winded. All i ask
is, what do i do next short of buying a brand new laptop?

I had a similar problem with my C800 and had to replace the screen.

Kal

On 7 May 2005 17:03:02 -0500, tonylimjuco@bellsouth.net wrote:

>I own a Dell Latitude A366XT. Bought it refurbed back in '01. For the
>most part it has given me good service enough to justify not buying a
>new one for now. The only consistent problem i've been having with it
>is with the LCD display. Initially it used to flicker and then go out.
>Everything would just fade into a white screen. One remedy i had for
>this was to fold the laptop and then open it again in effect to get
>the screen to flicker back on. I would do this at least a couple of
>times until I got a steady signal. The problem degraded to the point
>where nothing I did would get the signal back on. Typically, at this
>point, I would give up using the computer for several weeks until i
>found use for it again. At this time the display would be back to
>normal and then after a couple of sessions of use the problem would
>come back again and i would cycle through the above described
>procedure.
>
>I called up Dell about my problem. Really got no help from them. It
>seems they typically get uncooperative after you reveal to them that
>you are not the original owner of the system. I then took a more
>proactive stance by going to ebay and bidding on the base unit for a
>Dell Latitude figuring that the problem resided with the video card
>and not the display screen.
>
>After having received the used parts and swapping them out (used the
>same memory, hard drive, and display screen), i power it up and voila
>everything seems as good as new. Unfortunately after about several
>months of use the same problem resurfaces. I gave up using the
>computer for close to a year. Turned it back on last January when i
>learned that the local coffee shop i go to just started implementing
>wi-fi.
>
>There is now a slight variation to the video display problems
>described above. Instead of the blanked out white screen, i get a
>consistent signal. The signal i get, though, is distorted giving
>everything a sort of pinkish hue. Just to experiment, the only way i
>would get normal colors is by pressing the LCD screen firmly enough
>until some picture clarity is achieved. I don't want to elaborate any
>further. I fear my posting has gotten a little long-winded. All i ask
>is, what do i do next short of buying a brand new laptop?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

The chances are its the cable that runs from the lcd panel to the
systemboard, try reseating this 1st
"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>I had a similar problem with my C800 and had to replace the screen.
>
> Kal
>
> On 7 May 2005 17:03:02 -0500, tonylimjuco@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
>>I own a Dell Latitude A366XT. Bought it refurbed back in '01. For the
>>most part it has given me good service enough to justify not buying a
>>new one for now. The only consistent problem i've been having with it
>>is with the LCD display. Initially it used to flicker and then go out.
>>Everything would just fade into a white screen. One remedy i had for
>>this was to fold the laptop and then open it again in effect to get
>>the screen to flicker back on. I would do this at least a couple of
>>times until I got a steady signal. The problem degraded to the point
>>where nothing I did would get the signal back on. Typically, at this
>>point, I would give up using the computer for several weeks until i
>>found use for it again. At this time the display would be back to
>>normal and then after a couple of sessions of use the problem would
>>come back again and i would cycle through the above described
>>procedure.
>>
>>I called up Dell about my problem. Really got no help from them. It
>>seems they typically get uncooperative after you reveal to them that
>>you are not the original owner of the system. I then took a more
>>proactive stance by going to ebay and bidding on the base unit for a
>>Dell Latitude figuring that the problem resided with the video card
>>and not the display screen.
>>
>>After having received the used parts and swapping them out (used the
>>same memory, hard drive, and display screen), i power it up and voila
>>everything seems as good as new. Unfortunately after about several
>>months of use the same problem resurfaces. I gave up using the
>>computer for close to a year. Turned it back on last January when i
>>learned that the local coffee shop i go to just started implementing
>>wi-fi.
>>
>>There is now a slight variation to the video display problems
>>described above. Instead of the blanked out white screen, i get a
>>consistent signal. The signal i get, though, is distorted giving
>>everything a sort of pinkish hue. Just to experiment, the only way i
>>would get normal colors is by pressing the LCD screen firmly enough
>>until some picture clarity is achieved. I don't want to elaborate any
>>further. I fear my posting has gotten a little long-winded. All i ask
>>is, what do i do next short of buying a brand new laptop?

White screen is video flex cable. You need to get one specifically for the
Cpi A XT (xt means 13.3 inch screen as opposed to st which means the 12.1
inch screen). They are plentiful on ebay You cannot use the Cpi or the
CpiD cable, must be for the CpiA. You can download the Parts Replacement
Guide for this model (or for the CpiD, very similar parts dissassembly and
reassembly) on the www.support.dell.com site under the documents section for
the Cpi

Bill