MN-700 with Linksys Wireless-G

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 5, 2004 11:31:43 AM

Running Windows XP, I had my network and internet access
working fine with my desktop PC connected to the MN-700
via an ethernet cable and a separate laptop with the MS
wireless card. I now wish to run my desktop PC wireless,
so I purchased a Linksys Wireless-G card (model
WMP54GS). I installed the card, and am able to connect
to the wireless network, but cannot get an internet
connection working. It seems that the only way I can get
on the wireless network is by configuring the network as
an ad hoc network (by checking the box labelled "This is
a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access
points are not used"). I'm not sure if that's what's
causing me to be unable to get an internet connection. I
know that the router is able to connect to the internet
because everything works if I plug my network cable back
in.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

More about : 700 linksys wireless

August 5, 2004 12:52:00 PM

Are you using the linksys software to configure your wireless connection?

Bob wrote:

> Running Windows XP, I had my network and internet access
> working fine with my desktop PC connected to the MN-700
> via an ethernet cable and a separate laptop with the MS
> wireless card. I now wish to run my desktop PC wireless,
> so I purchased a Linksys Wireless-G card (model
> WMP54GS). I installed the card, and am able to connect
> to the wireless network, but cannot get an internet
> connection working. It seems that the only way I can get
> on the wireless network is by configuring the network as
> an ad hoc network (by checking the box labelled "This is
> a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access
> points are not used"). I'm not sure if that's what's
> causing me to be unable to get an internet connection. I
> know that the router is able to connect to the internet
> because everything works if I plug my network cable back
> in.
>
> Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

August 5, 2004 12:52:01 PM

No, I'm using Windows, as the manual suggests. Can I fix
this problem by using the linksys software? What settings
would I need to change?

Thanks,
Bob

a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 1:49:19 PM

I solved my own problem. Being somewhat ignorant about
hardware, I didn't realize that I'd have to add a new MAC
address for the new wireless card to my list of MAC
addresses that were being filtered. Doing that solved the
problem.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 8, 2004 6:17:01 PM

Did you receive an answer of your question, I am having
the same problem with windows 2000...

!