Intel Pentium 3

nikola

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
Hi.I hawe see the CPU Specification Comparison table in that link http://www.hyperformance-pc.com/Intel_info.htm and i have hear rumour ince the first fc-pga intel processors pentium 3 and pentiun3 cereron are the TOTAL THE SAME,olny diference its that in factory where its core bild have a in processor eeprom to programm the L2 cache to half memory(256/128) and prgrammable clock multiple unit to make diference between original IP3 to Intel Pentium 3 Celeron.So i cant not believe its no way procesor be hacked.Like its hapend mobile industry and protecting the costumers...

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
The disabled L2 cache can be hacked the same way the clock multiplier can be hacked. With a nice UV laser and an electron microscope and know where you need to cut.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
that would be an interesting challenge... :smile:

If anyone out there is willing to and has <b>(1)</b> an electron microscope and maybe some nanoscale manipulation devices (I´m a physics student, so I know some people who actually have these devices), <b>(2)</b> a new prescott CPU to destroy and <b>(3)</b>lots of knowledge, shouldn´t it be possible to investigate Yamhill? I mean, do a better job than <A HREF="http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_03_26_Prescott_clues_for_Yamhill.html" target="_new">this guy</A> did? (he actually didn´t have (2)- <i>a prescott CPU to destroy</i> - in his hands...)

nikola

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
As you know people,intel bilds one core for sale like Ip3 for servers and IP3 for ofice(so termed,factory locked,Celeron).
Its interisting that super computer guys (all i seend)newer have thought to unlock and even studie locked-(for whom) celeron..Now,I curenty use cely 700@66Mhz 1.70V now 900@85Mhz 1.85 Vcc on Asus cuv4x-me onboard home made VID swich for 1,80v.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, the Celeron Coppermine isn't just half cached, it's given increased cache latency from 0T ot 1T. Now, you MIGHT be able to hack that part and get a small boost. The OTHER part, enabling the disabled cache...Intel has a way to program chips, it's called BLOWING CIRCUITS.

Many Celerons were DEFECTIVE PIII's. The most common area for a defect in a CPU core is Cache. Intel goes "Whoops, this one has bad cache on this side, blow the connection and make it a Celeron".

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

nikola

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
Lol.Its stange story abaut this cely.Like u write,in factory intel bilds a beta cpus(celeron) for a calibating a mashines for real PIII's?I have O.Hoda cpu lantecy programm so i need a best,stable number for my celeron.I dont know it all i know that my cpu cant be set to 24 lantency time.Now its set 2 by deafult.And y have 1 question for all masters,Ecc chek for L2 cache and Sdrams i dont know what tis meen.Like error correction for merory?If i use defective PIII and i enable Ecc for L2 cache its brobably will system running ok?You know Sinclair ZX Spectum story?Factory use memory chip half bank in use for sale.Lowcost memory...

The lower the latency the better. Set it to zero if your cpu will run with it at this speed.

Ecc for the cache is a small performance hit. On a home computer I personally dissable it.

ECC om memory requires memory specifically designed for it. It is not possible on non ECC Memory.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That program doesn't seem to work with the on-die cache of the Coppermine or newer CPU's, I just didn't have the heart to tell him.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That program doesn't seem to work with the on-die cache of the Coppermine or newer CPU's, I just didn't have the heart to tell him.