P4 2.4b, my overheating roomheater

qwprince

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
my p4 2.4B coupled with a Gigabyte Motherboard is bein a pain in the ass .. it goes up to 60C when running any heavy application(video encod., benchmark).. even without overclocking.

My CPU config:

P4 2.4 Ghz 533Mhz FSB
"Gigabyte GA8-PE667 Ultra 2" M/B
512MB Samsung DDR 266Mhz RAM
GeForce2 64MB MX 400 (AGP 2X/4X)
120 GB 7200rpm Maxtor ATA-100 HDD
40 GB 5400rpm Seagate ATA-100 HDD
16X Aopen DVD
32X10X40 Benq CDRW
400W ATX v2.03 Power
17" Samsung 763MB
Creative THX 5.1 Digital

it wont let me work on any video editing softwares properly. gets too hot. since ive difficulty getting hold of any decent Heatsink\Fan im using the generic intel cpu fan. i do have another system running on P4 2.4B with a "Gigabyte GA8-PE667 Ultra" motherboard, its temp. rarely goes beyond 43C even at the peak load. ive tried out my system by replacing almost everything (cpu, graphics, ram, power) from my other gigabyte based system. still it remains the same.

normal cpu temp: 43C cpu fan: 2200rpm
on peak load: 62C [ after that it freezes ] cpu fan: 2700rpm

CPU Vcore Voltage : 1.525v (on my ultra M/B its 1.49v)

Meanwhile i also tried adding the cards and peripherals one by one and disabling all the funny features on my M/B.
i dont have a clue as to what is the reason .. anyone having any ideas do tell me ...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What kind of a case is this in and what fans have you put on that case?

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
well it was in a normal ATX casing ... but of now its kept outside and still the cpu gets heated up ...
What's kept outside?

That big metal/plstic box that you put the motherboard, the CPU, the power supply, the hard drives, etc. into, the <i>case</i>, do you know <i>anything</i> about it? How big is it? Are there <i>any</i> little square fans attached to it?

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

qwprince

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
i wudnt have bothered so much to ask u guys if i hadnt known what wuz a hdd or M/B .. neways since u din get it ..

rite now i keep my motherboard -- the big bright(blue colored in my case)long rectangular shaped board made of plastic onto which we fix our CPU(central processing unit) and RAMs -- and all hdds,cards and wires outside the atx casing on top of a cardboard box ...

so i hope that doesnt create any airflow problems ...

any other ideas ...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're not going to inform us of the very basic necessities of information from the beginning (such as the simple fact that you've got the thing set up on a cardboard box and <i>not</i> in a case) then don't go being an @$$ when we have to drag such information out of you.

Now, could you <i>please</i> either try to meet us half way and actually give us useful information? Or would you prefer if I just called Miss Cleo and asked her about your system instead?

1) Are you entirely sure that the heat sink is seated correctly? Have you tried reseating it anyway?

2) What thermal interface material are you using? If it was some form of thermal grease, how much did you use and what steps did you take to put it on?

3) Hell, while we're on the list of <i>very basic information</i>, what the heck is your ambient temperature? Do you have any fans whatsoever blowing on your exposed motherboard? What kind of humidity are you experiencing?

And 4) Can you please stop writing in 'net-speak and start using real English? (Or at least something <i>close</i> to real English?) Simple typos or bad grammar is fine, especially with so many non-native English speakers as there are, but we have these things called <i>words</i>. You know, like '<i>you</i>' instead of 'u', '<i>was</i>' instead of 'wuz', and '<i>anyway</i>' instead of 'neway'. The first step towards a working conversation is good communication skills.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
lol to your post (funny)

i've got a 2.4 stock heatsink when i oc (no volt mods) to 150fsb its 41 idle and 55C load (give or take) and the thermal tape wwass pulled off so cooling isn't even optimal, check the heatsink and if thats not it your cpu probably sucks

SL6EF OC's GOOD