reformatting computer

my computer is a bit slow now as there is so much rubbish on it, i would like
to reformat having seen someone else do it once. But i don't really know
how, where can i find advice and support on how to do this properly? I had a
look on the 'help and support' window but didn't find anything relevant.

Please help someone!
4 answers Last reply
More about reformatting computer

    Try here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348 for the quickest way to
    format your disk or if you go to www.google.com and put "format a hard disk"
    in the search box this gives you a bit of reading material.

    In news:16EEDE05-5CD9-45BA-9051-7365AD05A79E@microsoft.com,
    lyndsay <lyndsay@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > my computer is a bit slow now as there is so much rubbish on
    > it, i
    > would like to reformat having seen someone else do it once.
    > But i
    > don't really know how, where can i find advice and support on
    > how to
    > do this properly? I had a look on the 'help and support'
    > window but
    > didn't find anything relevant.

    In my view, it's generally a mistake. You should find out what's
    wrong and fix it.

    But if you insist, just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the
    BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the
    prompts for a clean installation (delete the existing partition
    by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "" wrote:
    > my computer is a bit slow now as there is so much rubbish on
    > it, i would like
    > to reformat having seen someone else do it once. But i don't
    > really know
    > how, where can i find advice and support on how to do this
    > properly? I had a
    > look on the 'help and support' window but didn't find anything
    > relevant.
    >
    > Please help someone!

    If your just formating the patison that windows is instralled on to,
    there isnt much advice to give as it will "delete" all data on the
    partison. All you need to do is put the setup disk in the drive, and
    it should say "press any key to...".

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-reformatting-computer-ftopict407453.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1351769

    lyndsay Wrote:
    > my computer is a bit slow now as there is so much rubbish on it, i would
    > like
    > to reformat having seen someone else do it once. But i don't really
    > know
    > how, where can i find advice and support on how to do this properly? I
    > had a
    > look on the 'help and support' window but didn't find anything
    > relevant.
    >
    > Please help someone!

    I would suggest reformatting your hard drive as your last option. Try
    check out this page and do what it says. Hopefully, you computer will
    run more smoother. Best of lucks

    Evolution54

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP