Sign in with
Your question
Solved

\$windows.~bt\windows\system32\winload.exe corrupted or missing

Last response: in Windows 7
October 20, 2012 7:03:19 PM

I have begun getting an error message on boot that that the file \$windows.~bt\windows\system32\winload.exe corrupted or missing. I've done the following:

1) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc and ran Repair System. No system errors found.

2) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran bootrec.exe /fixmbr, bootrec.exe /fixboot, and bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd.

3) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran chkdsk /f /r

4) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran sfc /scannow. For this program I keep getting a message there is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Reboot Windows and try again.

If the Win7 disc is not in the CD/DVD drive there error returns.

This started appearing BEFORE I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on the H: drive (SATA0) while Win7/64 resides on the C: drive (SATA1). I had been running EasyBCD so I could dual boot Win7/32 but have since uninstalled it.

Suggestions?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 7:12:21 PM

Change sata ports so that the Windows drive is on sata 0.
With an upgrade Windows disc you will not get the same boot files that you will get with a full version even though those fioles are there you cannot access them because of the upgrade version. You most likely need to reload the bootmanager file and Winload.exe since it's corrupted and you need a full version of Windows to do that.
October 24, 2012 2:03:02 AM

I haven't tried the SATA switch, but I've tried:

Windows Repair Console; chkdsk /f /r; sfc /scannow; bootrec.exe /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd

The system will NOT boot unless the Win7 Home Premium Upgrade disc is in the CD/DVD drive.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 10:34:52 AM

Swapped the SATA cable and she boots fine. Any idea why it just started acting funky after several years?
m
l
October 31, 2012 10:35:10 AM

Best answer selected by kep55.
m
l
November 10, 2012 3:23:47 PM

Correction, cable swap did not work. From Windows 7 Home Edition install disc, I started Windows RE, I ran:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
C:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /Rebuild Bcd
Rebooted.

Received boot error:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: Error occurred while attempting to read boot configuration data

Rebooted into Windows RE and ran:

bootrec /FixMBR
Rebooted - same error

Rebooted into Windows RE and ran:
bootrec /FixBoot
Rebooted - same error

Now what? If the Windows Cd is in the drive, all is well even if I do NOT select Boot from CD/DVD.
m
l
!