question about cashe...

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
what is the differnce i would notice in perform,ance between a 512k or 1meg cashe ona cpu<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by murdok on 03/28/03 09:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I can locate about 3 holes in your post:
currently use a 2.88HT p4
Sure you are, and I run an SSE2 AthlonXP Barton.

I also have a new 3.00HT gig with 800mhz bus chip
Because Intel likes to be open about everything and distributes like fairy dust on everyone, magical 800MHZ bus chips which are not even released.

but it also has 1 meg of cashe. Are all the new 800mhz bus cpu's goin to have 1 meg on them?
So what you're saying is, you live in Bizarro world where Intel sped through all other fab technologies who had 0.09m tool delivery problems, magically made Prescott, and delivered one to you.

Conclusion: Either you live in the future, or you have a serious knowledge problem and need to go back and do some research buddy, because at the moment, I can't help but consider this a little comical post to make us laugh.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, Eden, from what I've read it <i>is</i> possible to enable HT on most P4s. You just need the right mobo to support it. I'm not sure if I'd call any mobo with a SiSsy chipset 'right', but I guess it'd at least suffice. **LOL**

As for the magic fairy dust 800MHz FSB P4 3.00GHz with 1MB L2 cache ...

...I'm really not sure what to think. I mean <i>if</i> it really <i>were</i> an 800MHz FSB P4, then it <i>would</i> be 3.0<b>0</b>GHz instead of 3.0<b>6</b>GHz. So that much <i>does</i> lend credability, that 3.00 was specified.

The 1MB cache though ... short of either being a Xeon or a miracle, it's hard to believe. Maybe it's some sort of a deranged engineering sample of a Prescott on a .13 micron process to see how it'll perform. **really big shrug**

Whatever it is, it sure isn't a retail product unless Intel has <i>really</i> changed their roadmaps without telling anyone. (Which is highly unlikely.)

And whatever it is, it'll be SoL for running at 800MHz on a motherboard <i>without</i> OCing that mobo. To my knowledge, there aren't <i>any</i> official 800MHz FSB mobos yet. Heh heh.

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As of yet nobody has been able to change the multiplier, HT flag, or SMP flag on a non-engineering intel chip.

May 11th (prices for 1k trays):
2.40G 400 Northwood US$163
2.40G 533 Northwood US$163
2.40G 800 Northwood B US$178
2.50G 400 Northwood US$193
2.53G 533 Northwood US$193
2.60G 400 Northwood US$193
2.60G 800 Northwood B US$218
2.66G 533 Northwood US$193
2.80G 533 Northwood US$262
2.80G 800 Northwood B US$278
3.06G 533 Northwood B US$401
3.00G 800 Northwood B US$417
3.20G 800 Northwood B US$637

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

eden

Champion
I repeat and on behalf of all those who are sane enough to realize that NO PENTIUM 4s (save for Xeons) have 1MB cache, NO PRESCOTT is out and is definitely not planned for 0.13m, and finally NO 800MHZ FSB CHIP is out anywhere, not even THG has received them. All that HW websites have done so far is try to overclock their ES chips at 800MHZ for a preview. You sir, have no credibility, and your question has little meaning for answer given that your product inquiry, the product itself, does NOT EXIST.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 03/29/03 05:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I see your main post now has a more logical question.

No one can exactly tell, but the doubling of cache on the NW yeilded from 5-20% on average. You can expect about 10% in most applications, but that depends on how Prescott or Opteron will use it.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
sorry for not posting for a while...

it is a production sample... and im actually not supposed to post about it. But yes it is that actual chip.

also thankyou for info about the cashe..

i kno that no boards yet support 800mhz bus.. so im not gonna even try to clock it at that yet...

thanks for all teh info

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
How come you got the engineering sample when you dont even know what the double L2 "cashe" would do?

<b><font color=blue>Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia</b></font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry JCLW and ritesh_laud. It was a slip of the fingers. I meant that it was possible to enable HT on most <i>sample</i> P4s. I just figured that since whatever murdok claims to have is most obviously an engineering sample, chances are the other P4 that he listed (before he changed his original post) was also an engineering sample. I wasn't trying to continue perpetuating the myth that you can just flip HT on in all P4s sold on the market. I just wrote in haste. Sorry for the confusion.

then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
How come you got the engineering sample when you dont even know what the double L2 "cashe" would do?
One part of me would love to know the answer to that too. The other, wiser (AKA cynical), part of me says "It's all about who you know and how much money you can offer them."