Peer to Peer Connection

Mike

Splendid

I have 2 Microsoft external Wireless G cards and have
connected them via a Peer to Peer connection. I can only
get them to connect at 11mbps. Is it possible to have
them connect at 54mbps? or is 54 only possible with a
router or base station?

TIA!

joker

Are they the MN-710 then?

If that is the case I bet you have them connected to a USB 1.1
connection or are having some sort of interference issue. If you have a
USB 2.0 port I would connect the MN-710 into that because USB 1.1 only
supports up to 12 mbps where as USB 2.0 supports over 400 mbps.

Other wise you may have to tell us the OS involved & which NIC you are
using.

Mike wrote:

> I have 2 Microsoft external Wireless G cards and have
> connected them via a Peer to Peer connection. I can only
> get them to connect at 11mbps. Is it possible to have
> them connect at 54mbps? or is 54 only possible with a
> router or base station?
>
> TIA!

Mike

Splendid

They both are MN-710s and both computers are WinXP. The
mobile PC will connect to my buddy's wireless network at
54 Mbps but not to my home network.

It is connected to a USB 2.0 port and as far as I know is
operating at the 2.0 standard. But then again if it's
only operating at 1.0 speeds it would make sense why it's
connecting at 11 mpbs.

joker

It is most likely wireless interference. Try changing the channel.

Mike wrote:

> They both are MN-710s and both computers are WinXP. The
> mobile PC will connect to my buddy's wireless network at
> 54 Mbps but not to my home network.
>
> It is connected to a USB 2.0 port and as far as I know is
> operating at the 2.0 standard. But then again if it's
> only operating at 1.0 speeds it would make sense why it's
> connecting at 11 mpbs.

Mike

Splendid

Will do. Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you are using the MN-710 in what is called ad-hoc mode. The
standard maximum connection speed for this mode is 11Mbps. Since you are
using two MN-710 adapters, you can put them both into a special mode that
will allow for a higher connection speed. You need to set this on the
Advanced tab of the MN-710 from Device Manager. The parameter is
IBSS54gtmMode. Either 54g80211bCompatible or 54gPerformance should work, but
you probably need to make sure they are the same.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will do. Thanks for the help!

Mike

Splendid

Perfect! I will try that. It doesn't seem to be a
interference problem. I thought is must have something to
do with AD Hoc mode.

Thanks so much!

confers no rights.

>"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Will do. Thanks for the help!

Mike

Splendid

I don't have this option in my advanced tab in the Device
Manager. :(

confers no rights.

>"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Will do. Thanks for the help!

You are right. I was looking at the INF for the MN-720, which has this
capability. The MN-710 only supports what the 802.11g standard supports
which is 11Mbps for ad-hoc.

--

> I don't have this option in my advanced tab in the Device
> Manager. :(

Mike

Splendid

Is there a way to configure a peer to peer network without
using ad-hoc? Or do I just need to get a router?

confers no rights.

>"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I don't have this option in my advanced tab in the
Device
>> Manager. :(

and
>> confers no rights.
>> >

>> >"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

No, there isn't. You need to get a router.