Your question

Windows 7 won't shut down the power!!

Tags:
  • Shutdown
  • Power
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 29, 2010 11:46:17 PM

Hello, I'm having problems shutting down my computer. When I select shut down button under the start menu, the OS shuts down but it doesn't kill the power going to the computer. My fans, lights, everything still has power and is running. I CAN do a hard shutdown(hold the power button down for 4 seconds), that does kill everything. How do I get windows 7 to shut down the power going to all components when i choose shut down?

This is my build (didn't know if you needed this info or not). And everything is new out of the box as of about a week ago.

-Gigabyte ultra durable motherboard (X58A-UD5)
-Intel core i7 920 processor
-Gigabyte HD 5850 ATI Radeon graphics card
-Corsair TX 750W Power supply
-6G of Corsair DDR3 memory
-2 1T western digital hard drives

More about : windows shut power

a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 11:00:37 AM

According to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turning-off...

When you click Shut down, your computer closes all open programs, along with Windows itself, and then completely turns off your computer and display.

If this is not the case with your computer, it is possible a cable/wire may be wrongly connected or may not be seated correctly. Did you assemble this computer yourself?
m
l
March 30, 2010 8:35:12 PM

I did assemble it myself. And it shuts down all programs, windows 7, and the display, just not the power to all of the components.

And if I do have something connected wrong, then what could it possibly be?
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2010 3:04:01 AM

I have checked all of my connections, I believe that they are correct. I have updated the BIOS and Drivers. And I have replaced the power supply. nothing has worked. I would appreciate some feedback thanks.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2010 3:15:36 AM

I can't guide you through a hardware issue. That would take a hands on
capability. If you can eliminate cables as the problem, then the only thing left is a
component. The problem with self assembly is that touching the wrong part of some components can by itself damage even a new component.

m
l
April 7, 2010 5:52:32 PM

If you're completely sure that all of the cables are correctly placed then it would seem likely that it's a motherboard issue, RMA'ing it might be a good idea.
m
l
April 14, 2010 3:59:12 AM

I'm sorry I should have posted earlier. But I figured it out with the help of Gigabyte tech support, which was awesome fyi.

For your future knowledge...
I kept hearing the same thing from tech support and my college's computer help desk as well as a friends dad(who is a reputable computer genius). The possibles that people were coming up with was that my bio's were not up to date, I didn't have updated drivers, power supply was bad, memory was bad(I didn't know how that could cause this issue but that's what they said), and lastly that there was a program that was preventing the computer from shutting down.

I updated bios and drivers, changed power supplies and memory(just for kicks and grins). Still had my problem so I went into control panel, and add programs... uninstalled everything that was by gigabyte. It ended up that a RAID configuration wizard was preventing the computer from powering down. I don't know how but I uninstalled it and every thing worked like a champ!!!

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.
-Teddy T
m
l
August 1, 2013 11:17:29 PM

I know it's been a while but it took ages for me to find the answer to this problem.
I had the same issue, turns out there is a hotfix that seems to do the job!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Cheers
m
l
February 28, 2016 11:53:18 AM

When my windows 7 shutdown all fans still working. I tried all bios, device manager, and regedit nothing works.
Solution that work for me: download c-cleaner and clean all registry.
m
l