deleting files

i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find 58000
+ that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig
that they are just taking up space on the hard drive. i am on a fixed income
and not real good with computers with new stuff but i do try.
thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about deleting files

    Files aren't really physically removed from the drive when deleted.
    The entry in the Master File Table is removed. It's a pointer that
    indicates where a file is located on the drive. Once the MFT entry
    is gone the space the file consumed is marked as free or available
    for re-use.

    Your 58,000 aren't taking up space from the viewpoint of Windows.
    To "Clean" them up requires a disk tool that can write data patterns
    over the content and essentially make the content unrecoverable.

    Even with a Security erasure - drive surfaces will retain some of
    the magnetic orientation that represents data.

    Personally, I use a program called CyberScrub that removes the
    left-over data & Slack space from a drive. You can Google for a
    number of freeware tools that will do similar cleanup.

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find
    >58000
    > + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig
    > that they are just taking up space on the hard drive. i am on a fixed
    > income
    > and not real good with computers with new stuff but i do try.
    > thanks

    thank you for your help. i will check out that program.

    In news:2CA4FF0B-60B5-4346-807A-F9D1BCF47981@microsoft.com,
    bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run
    > it i
    > find 58000 + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting
    > these
    > for good? i fig that they are just taking up space on the hard
    > drive.
    > i am on a fixed income and not real good with computers with
    > new
    > stuff but i do try.

    No, there's no issue at all to worry about. These files and
    folders take up no space at all, and no need to "delete them for
    good."

    "Deleting" a file doesn't actually delete it; it just marks the
    space as available to be used. Even though the file is still
    there (until it's overwritten) the space is available to be used,
    so there's no waste at all.

    The advantage of their not actually being deleted is that, until
    they have been overwritten, they can be undeleted and gotten back
    if you should find that you still need them.

    There are programs that can physically delete these "deleted"
    files, but whatever value they have is in the situation where
    you're selling or giving away the computer (or drive) and want to
    make sure that the new owner can't see your personal data.
    Otherwise there's no real reason to run such a program.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?= wrote:

    > i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find 58000
    > + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig

    run defrag

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP