deleting files

August 11, 2005 8:32:32 AM

i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find 58000
+ that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig
that they are just taking up space on the hard drive. i am on a fixed income
and not real good with computers with new stuff but i do try.
thanks

More about : deleting files

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:47:01 AM

Files aren't really physically removed from the drive when deleted.
The entry in the Master File Table is removed. It's a pointer that
indicates where a file is located on the drive. Once the MFT entry
is gone the space the file consumed is marked as free or available
for re-use.

Your 58,000 aren't taking up space from the viewpoint of Windows.
To "Clean" them up requires a disk tool that can write data patterns
over the content and essentially make the content unrecoverable.

Even with a Security erasure - drive surfaces will retain some of
the magnetic orientation that represents data.

Personally, I use a program called CyberScrub that removes the
left-over data & Slack space from a drive. You can Google for a
number of freeware tools that will do similar cleanup.

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find
>58000
> + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig
> that they are just taking up space on the hard drive. i am on a fixed
> income
> and not real good with computers with new stuff but i do try.
> thanks
August 11, 2005 11:47:02 AM

thank you for your help. i will check out that program.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Files aren't really physically removed from the drive when deleted.
> The entry in the Master File Table is removed. It's a pointer that
> indicates where a file is located on the drive. Once the MFT entry
> is gone the space the file consumed is marked as free or available
> for re-use.
>
> Your 58,000 aren't taking up space from the viewpoint of Windows.
> To "Clean" them up requires a disk tool that can write data patterns
> over the content and essentially make the content unrecoverable.
>
> Even with a Security erasure - drive surfaces will retain some of
> the magnetic orientation that represents data.
>
> Personally, I use a program called CyberScrub that removes the
> left-over data & Slack space from a drive. You can Google for a
> number of freeware tools that will do similar cleanup.
>
> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find
> >58000
> > + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig
> > that they are just taking up space on the hard drive. i am on a fixed
> > income
> > and not real good with computers with new stuff but i do try.
> > thanks

August 11, 2005 3:06:09 PM

In news:2CA4FF0B-60B5-4346-807A-F9D1BCF47981@microsoft.com,
bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run
> it i
> find 58000 + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting
> these
> for good? i fig that they are just taking up space on the hard
> drive.
> i am on a fixed income and not real good with computers with
> new
> stuff but i do try.

No, there's no issue at all to worry about. These files and
folders take up no space at all, and no need to "delete them for
good."

"Deleting" a file doesn't actually delete it; it just marks the
space as available to be used. Even though the file is still
there (until it's overwritten) the space is available to be used,
so there's no waste at all.

The advantage of their not actually being deleted is that, until
they have been overwritten, they can be undeleted and gotten back
if you should find that you still need them.

There are programs that can physically delete these "deleted"
files, but whatever value they have is in the situation where
you're selling or giving away the computer (or drive) and want to
make sure that the new owner can't see your personal data.
Otherwise there's no real reason to run such a program.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 6:44:02 PM

=?Utf-8?B?YmlsbA==?= wrote:

> i have a program that finds deleted files/folders. when i run it i find 58000
> + that have been deleted. is there a way of deleting these for good? i fig

run defrag

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!