Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WinXP SP2 random temporary freeze

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:21:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi All.
I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
Intellistation machine.
Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.

The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
Win2000 pro.

Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
nothing happened.

Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
minutes).

The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.

I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
"general".
Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
nothing to resolve it.

Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.

Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).

Really thank you all.
SubnetJO
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:33:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?

"SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6C527166-AD8A-4B8A-8D1D-ACF0F85E0B6D@microsoft.com...
> Hi All.
> I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
> I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
> Intellistation machine.
> Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
>
> The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
> Win2000 pro.
>
> Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
> The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
> from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
> After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
> nothing happened.
>
> Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
> minutes).
>
> The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
> Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
> everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
> running
> many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
>
> I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
> "general".
> Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
> nothing to resolve it.
>
> Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
>
> Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
> Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
>
> Really thank you all.
> SubnetJO
>
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:33:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The machine is designed as workstation by IBM (no modification has been
applied)

No termal problems, and nothing about in the event viewer.

Don't now about "ACPI Dual CPU".
Nothing has been modified in Windows or in the BIOS (latest version) about
ACPI.

The HAL is the standard implemetation from Microsoft (it is possibile to
modify it?).

Do you think I have to check something in my OS configuration or in the
bios, about ACPI?
What do you think I have to check? Where I can find the settings you think I
have to monitor?

Really thank you for your help.
SubnetJO



"R. McCarty" ha scritto:

> Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
> some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
> Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
> Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?
>
> "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6C527166-AD8A-4B8A-8D1D-ACF0F85E0B6D@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All.
> > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
> > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
> > Intellistation machine.
> > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
> >
> > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
> > Win2000 pro.
> >
> > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
> > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
> > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
> > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
> > nothing happened.
> >
> > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
> > minutes).
> >
> > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
> > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
> > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
> > running
> > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
> >
> > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
> > "general".
> > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
> > nothing to resolve it.
> >
> > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
> >
> > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
> > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
> >
> > Really thank you all.
> > SubnetJO
> >
> >
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:21:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'll see if I can summarize your questions into a simple answer. The
HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is basically the "Driver" for the
computer. The BIOS informs XP at install time which HAL to load.
Your system should be an ACPI (Advanced Configuration and
Power Interface) multiprocessor. You can find out which HAL the
XP instance is using by expanding the Computer category in device
manager. HALs cannot or should not be changed, once XP is up
and running. You also need to check and see if your motherboard
provides an APIC (Advanced Peripheral Interface Controller). This
is a chipset function that expands normal IRQ mappings to 23. A
complete "Freeze" like you describe sounds like a PCI bus interrupt
that is stalling the system. You might want to use MSInfo32 to look
at your IRQ Mappings. Without more hardware details it's not easy
to speculate on what is causing your problem(s).

"SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9BDF82FB-7DCD-4925-A392-37BD3F6E06BD@microsoft.com...
> The machine is designed as workstation by IBM (no modification has been
> applied)
>
> No termal problems, and nothing about in the event viewer.
>
> Don't now about "ACPI Dual CPU".
> Nothing has been modified in Windows or in the BIOS (latest version) about
> ACPI.
>
> The HAL is the standard implemetation from Microsoft (it is possibile to
> modify it?).
>
> Do you think I have to check something in my OS configuration or in the
> bios, about ACPI?
> What do you think I have to check? Where I can find the settings you think
> I
> have to monitor?
>
> Really thank you for your help.
> SubnetJO
>
>
>
> "R. McCarty" ha scritto:
>
>> Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
>> some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
>> Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
>> Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?
>>
>> "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:6C527166-AD8A-4B8A-8D1D-ACF0F85E0B6D@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi All.
>> > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
>> > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
>> > Intellistation machine.
>> > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance
>> > needs.
>> >
>> > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
>> > Win2000 pro.
>> >
>> > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
>> > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no
>> > response
>> > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
>> > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working
>> > as
>> > nothing happened.
>> >
>> > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes
>> > (sometimes 2
>> > minutes).
>> >
>> > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
>> > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
>> > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
>> > running
>> > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
>> >
>> > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
>> > "general".
>> > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
>> > nothing to resolve it.
>> >
>> > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
>> >
>> > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
>> > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
>> >
>> > Really thank you all.
>> > SubnetJO
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:20:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?

What about the disc activity light?

Network card lights?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:20:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.

Waiting for the freeze with the task manager opened, also doesn't provide
results.
The Task Manager is freezed too.

The disk activity light is idle during the freeze.

Thank you for your help.
SubnetJO

"CWatters" ha scritto:

> Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
> suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?
>
> What about the disc activity light?
>
> Network card lights?
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Any Norton product installed?

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E126C6B-C040-4A48-BB1D-F706CBAB6244@microsoft.com...
> It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
> If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
> When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.
>
> Waiting for the freeze with the task manager opened, also doesn't provide
> results.
> The Task Manager is freezed too.
>
> The disk activity light is idle during the freeze.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> SubnetJO
>
> "CWatters" ha scritto:
>
>> Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
>> suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?
>>
>> What about the disc activity light?
>>
>> Network card lights?
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:02:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6E126C6B-C040-4A48-BB1D-F706CBAB6244@microsoft.com...
> It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
> If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
> When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.

Not sure what to suggest but...

If it's just started to do this recently have you tried a system restore?

Does it do this in safe mode?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:40:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have you installed the latest august security updates from Microsoft? Try
uninstall the updates. I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I
installed the updates KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591,
KB893756, KB899588, KB896727.

"SubnetJO" wrote:

> Hi All.
> I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
> I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
> Intellistation machine.
> Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
>
> The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
> Win2000 pro.
>
> Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
> The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
> from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
> After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
> nothing happened.
>
> Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
> minutes).
>
> The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
> Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
> everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
> many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
>
> I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
> "general".
> Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
> nothing to resolve it.
>
> Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
>
> Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
> Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
>
> Really thank you all.
> SubnetJO
>
>
August 17, 2005 5:18:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
togather!!
August 29, 2005 3:17:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Also have been experiencing the same problems for several days & I've also
installed all those updates (except for KB89030). Did uninstalling help? I
read in another thread that it didn't seem to and now that person can't get
back on the web. Would want to be sure before I tried anything.

"GertE" wrote:

> Have you installed the latest august security updates from Microsoft? Try
> uninstall the updates. I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I
> installed the updates KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591,
> KB893756, KB899588, KB896727.
>
> "SubnetJO" wrote:
>
> > Hi All.
> > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
> > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
> > Intellistation machine.
> > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
> >
> > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
> > Win2000 pro.
> >
> > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
> > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
> > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
> > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
> > nothing happened.
> >
> > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
> > minutes).
> >
> > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
> > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
> > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
> > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
> >
> > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
> > "general".
> > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
> > nothing to resolve it.
> >
> > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
> >
> > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
> > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
> >
> > Really thank you all.
> > SubnetJO
> >
> >
!