WinXP SP2 random temporary freeze

Hi All.
I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
Intellistation machine.
Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.

The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
Win2000 pro.

Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
nothing happened.

Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
minutes).

The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.

I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
"general".
Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
nothing to resolve it.

Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.

Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).

Really thank you all.
SubnetJO
10 answers Last reply
More about winxp random temporary freeze

    Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
    some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
    Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
    Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?

    "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All.
    > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
    > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
    > Intellistation machine.
    > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
    >
    > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
    > Win2000 pro.
    >
    > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
    > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
    > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
    > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
    > nothing happened.
    >
    > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
    > minutes).
    >
    > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
    > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
    > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
    > running
    > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
    >
    > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
    > "general".
    > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
    > nothing to resolve it.
    >
    > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
    >
    > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
    > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
    >
    > Really thank you all.
    > SubnetJO

    The machine is designed as workstation by IBM (no modification has been
    applied)

    No termal problems, and nothing about in the event viewer.

    Don't now about "ACPI Dual CPU".
    Nothing has been modified in Windows or in the BIOS (latest version) about
    ACPI.

    The HAL is the standard implemetation from Microsoft (it is possibile to
    modify it?).

    Do you think I have to check something in my OS configuration or in the
    bios, about ACPI?
    What do you think I have to check? Where I can find the settings you think I
    have to monitor?

    Really thank you for your help.
    SubnetJO

    "R. McCarty" ha scritto:

    > Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
    > some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
    > Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
    > Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?
    >
    > "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All.
    > > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
    > > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
    > > Intellistation machine.
    > > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
    > >
    > > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
    > > Win2000 pro.
    > >
    > > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
    > > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
    > > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
    > > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
    > > nothing happened.
    > >
    > > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
    > > minutes).
    > >
    > > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
    > > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
    > > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
    > > running
    > > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
    > >
    > > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
    > > "general".
    > > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
    > > nothing to resolve it.
    > >
    > > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
    > >
    > > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
    > > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
    > >
    > > Really thank you all.
    > > SubnetJO

    I'll see if I can summarize your questions into a simple answer. The
    HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is basically the "Driver" for the
    computer. The BIOS informs XP at install time which HAL to load.
    Your system should be an ACPI (Advanced Configuration and
    Power Interface) multiprocessor. You can find out which HAL the
    XP instance is using by expanding the Computer category in device
    manager. HALs cannot or should not be changed, once XP is up
    and running. You also need to check and see if your motherboard
    provides an APIC (Advanced Peripheral Interface Controller). This
    is a chipset function that expands normal IRQ mappings to 23. A
    complete "Freeze" like you describe sounds like a PCI bus interrupt
    that is stalling the system. You might want to use MSInfo32 to look
    at your IRQ Mappings. Without more hardware details it's not easy
    to speculate on what is causing your problem(s).

    > The machine is designed as workstation by IBM (no modification has been
    > applied)
    >
    > No termal problems, and nothing about in the event viewer.
    >
    > Don't now about "ACPI Dual CPU".
    > Nothing has been modified in Windows or in the BIOS (latest version) about
    > ACPI.
    >
    > The HAL is the standard implemetation from Microsoft (it is possibile to
    > modify it?).
    >
    > Do you think I have to check something in my OS configuration or in the
    > bios, about ACPI?
    > What do you think I have to check? Where I can find the settings you think
    > have to monitor?
    >
    > Really thank you for your help.
    > SubnetJO
    >

    > "R. McCarty" ha scritto:
    >
    >> Check the Event logs. With the hardware you list - you may have
    >> some thermal issues involved using a Server setup for a desktop.
    >> Two processors and SCSI disks are going to generate lots of heat.
    >> Is your setup using an ACPI Dual CPU HAL ?
    >>
    >> "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi All.
    >> > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
    >> > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
    >> > Intellistation machine.
    >> > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance
    >> > needs.
    >> >
    >> > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
    >> > Win2000 pro.
    >> >
    >> > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
    >> > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no
    >> > response
    >> > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
    >> > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working
    >> > as
    >> > nothing happened.
    >> >
    >> > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes
    >> > (sometimes 2
    >> > minutes).
    >> >
    >> > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
    >> > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
    >> > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm
    >> > running
    >> > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
    >> >
    >> > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
    >> > "general".
    >> > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
    >> > nothing to resolve it.
    >> >
    >> > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
    >> >
    >> > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
    >> > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
    >> >
    >> > Really thank you all.
    >> > SubnetJO

    Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
    suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?

    What about the disc activity light?

    Network card lights?

    It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
    If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
    When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.

    Waiting for the freeze with the task manager opened, also doesn't provide
    results.
    The Task Manager is freezed too.

    The disk activity light is idle during the freeze.

    Thank you for your help.
    SubnetJO

    "CWatters" ha scritto:

    > Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
    > suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?
    >
    > What about the disc activity light?
    >
    > Network card lights?

    Any Norton product installed?

    --
    Peter

    "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E126C6B-C040-4A48-BB1D-F706CBAB6244@microsoft.com...
    > It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
    > If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
    > When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.
    >
    > Waiting for the freeze with the task manager opened, also doesn't provide
    > results.
    > The Task Manager is freezed too.
    >
    > The disk activity light is idle during the freeze.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    > SubnetJO
    >
    > "CWatters" ha scritto:
    >
    >> Does the task manager show any activity during the freeze? eg is one process
    >> suddenly taking 100% of the CPU?
    >>
    >> What about the disc activity light?
    >>
    >> Network card lights?

    "SubnetJO" <SubnetJO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It is impossible to open task manager during freeze.
    > If you press ctrl-alt-del the machine do nothing.
    > When the freeze finish, the logon form is displayed.

    Not sure what to suggest but...

    If it's just started to do this recently have you tried a system restore?

    Does it do this in safe mode?

    Have you installed the latest august security updates from Microsoft? Try
    uninstall the updates. I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I
    installed the updates KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591,
    KB893756, KB899588, KB896727.

    "SubnetJO" wrote:

    > Hi All.
    > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
    > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
    > Intellistation machine.
    > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
    >
    > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
    > Win2000 pro.
    >
    > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
    > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
    > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
    > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
    > nothing happened.
    >
    > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
    > minutes).
    >
    > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
    > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
    > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
    > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
    >
    > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
    > "general".
    > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
    > nothing to resolve it.
    >
    > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
    >
    > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
    > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
    >
    > Really thank you all.
    > SubnetJO

    Ya its the 10th of august updates. microsoft sure blew it this time. Even
    unistalling the updates won't fix the problem. So were stuck with our
    computers locking up in the middle of anything till they get there stuff
    togather!!

    Also have been experiencing the same problems for several days & I've also
    installed all those updates (except for KB89030). Did uninstalling help? I
    read in another thread that it didn't seem to and now that person can't get
    back on the web. Would want to be sure before I tried anything.

    "GertE" wrote:

    > Have you installed the latest august security updates from Microsoft? Try
    > uninstall the updates. I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I
    > installed the updates KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591,
    > KB893756, KB899588, KB896727.
    >
    > "SubnetJO" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All.
    > > I have a problem wth WinXP pro SP2.
    > > I installaed the OS, the service pack and all the fixes on a IBM
    > > Intellistation machine.
    > > Dual Xeon processors, 1.5 Gbyte of RAM, SCSI discs... no perfomance needs.
    > >
    > > The machine works perfectly and is well configured. No problems using
    > > Win2000 pro.
    > >
    > > Using WindowsXP pro SP2, the machine suddenly and randomly, freezes.
    > > The freeze is total and "solid", no response from the machine, no response
    > > from network, no response from keyboard or mouse.
    > > After few seconds, or a minute, the machine wakes up and start working as
    > > nothing happened.
    > >
    > > Never elapse more than 20 minutes between two freeze episodes (sometimes 2
    > > minutes).
    > >
    > > The machine freezes whatever I'm doing.
    > > Listening music, watching videos, surfing internet, reading, writing...
    > > everything I do seems to cause the freeze, and doesn't matter if I'm running
    > > many applications or only a browser session... the machine freezes.
    > >
    > > I surfed many forums on the Internet and the problem seems to be quite
    > > "general".
    > > Many people in the world seem to suffer the same problem, but I found
    > > nothing to resolve it.
    > >
    > > Nothing about this problem in the Microsoft KB, too.
    > >
    > > Is anyone of you aware of a solution?
    > > Is a recongnized bug from Microsoft? (should be, in my opinion).
    > >
    > > Really thank you all.
    > > SubnetJO

Microsoft Windows XP