chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I have a slight problem on my screen, there is a line about half way up on one side, is there an easy way to fix this
the model is Dell 2709wfp

GarageSale_1256218796_4962.jpg

chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

I'm confident i can fit that myself (i'm very good with fixing electronics) Can you tell me what part i would need

The problem appears to be the LCD panel itself. Does that "line" always appear no matter what background you use? If so, does the line change color or does it stay the same?

The reason why I said you need to RMA is because it appears you have dead / stuck pixels. There is no real way to fix all those pixels. You can try Dead Pixel Buddy:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Dead-Pixel-Buddy.shtml

There is no way to replace individual pixels in a LCD panel, therefore the entire panel must be replaced.

You can try re-installing the drivers or disconnecting the video cable and re-attaching, but I really doubt that will solve your issue.

chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
There not dead as it is a perfectly vertical line and it is pink.

I haven't actually received the monitor yet, i needed a new LCD as my 2408WFP overheated and has now completely stopped working

I needed something i can do graphics work on and i am pretty poor at the moment so i figured i'd get a replacement model for £150.

Here are all the pics of the actual monitor (it should get here tomorrow or monday)

Maybe one of you guys can make heads or tails of it

GarageSale_1256211791_4867.jpg

GarageSale_1256218796_4961.jpg

GarageSale_1256218796_4962.jpg

GarageSale_1256218796_4963.jpg

From the item description

Dell UltraSharp 27" 2709Wb

REV A02

This is from Dell Excess Stock we are selling as refurbed but this monitor is As New.

We have had it out of the box to check it over.

SLIGHT Fault on screen as shown does, as shown.

Then it just goes on to list the specs of the screen

I thought that for £150 that's a damn good bargain i'm sure i can live with the line, but it would be nice to be able to fix it

chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
OK i now have the screen in my possession, it seems the line only appears on either a green, or white background, the line is invisible on blue, red and pink colors, the line is also invisible on black. I'm sure this is an easy problem to fix

It's called stuck pixels. Pixels can "die" suddenly or with age. Since pixels are embedded within a LCD panel, there is no way to replace the pixels without replacing the entire panel.

On a Green / White background do the line remain the same color. Also look very closely when the screen is Blue / Red / Black to determine if there is a faint line of color.

chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
a whole line of stuck pixels?? what are the chances.

The line appears bright pink on a white background, and pure black on a green background.

I can see things working 'behind' the line, so i don't think they are 'dead'

Pure black on a green background means the green subpixel is dead.

Each pixel is made up of three subpixels: Red, Green, Blue. When all are on 100% you get white, when all are off 100% you get black. All else in between creates the various 16.7m colors.

That pink line you are seeing on a white background is probably purple since the green subpixel appears to be dead. The white background probably makes the purple line seem pink.

The only way to fix it is to replace the LCD panel itself which is the most expensive component of a monitor. In your case a new LCD panel will likely cost more than what you purchased the monitor for.

chaos1986

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

Aww ok, how come they are all dead in a perfect line?