Real Player vs. Windows Media

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 11, 2005 9:31:01 AM

Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)

More about : real player windows media

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:03:05 PM

Windows Media Player
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player

RealPlayer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Player

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"A" wrote:

| Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
| or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:15:03 PM

"A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
>or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)

RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
work-around: Real Alternative at
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.ht...

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

In news:09BDD6E2-109D-469E-9EAE-083FD9F60447@microsoft.com,
A <A@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Does one do something different than the other? Are having
> both an
> advantage or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better?
> Thanks
> :)

RealPlayer is an obnoxious intrusive program that may contain
spyware. I wouldn't have it on my system.

The problem is that Media Player doesn't play RA files, so
without RealPlayer, you need an alternative program to play them.
Jet Audio, Real Alternative, and WinAmp, and perhaps others, are
all better choices.

Please reply to the newsgroup
August 11, 2005 5:59:13 PM

Thanks to all. I have read that Real takes up a lot of power and, yes,
spyware. I'll check out the websites you all listed.

"Connor" wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:15:03 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
> wrote:
>

> >RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
> >people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
> >work-around: Real Alternative at
> >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.ht...
>
> And Winamp is less obtrusive than both.
> http://www.winamp.com/

August 11, 2005 6:59:56 PM

Some web sites only use WM and others use RP.

Alias

"A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an
> advantage
> or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:03:34 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:31:01 -0700, "A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
>or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)

The real question is which will work with the streams you want to use.

If one is "better" but the stream you want is in the other format you
may still need the other.

Real Player can be used with Windows Media Streams but I think it may
be using wmdmhelper.dll to run pieces of Windows Media Player behind
the scenes. So I'm not sure RP can STILL play WM streams without WMP's
being installed.

There's a bunch of open source (free and free source code if you can
read it) stuff including Media Player Classic and codecs which permit
MPC to play Real and Quicktime streams. (Real Alternative, Quicktime
Alternative) but I'm not sure they will work with everything,
especially newer streams or web sites which don't load standalone
players but use web browser plugins.
August 11, 2005 9:33:36 PM

"A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all. I have read that Real takes up a lot of power and, yes,
> spyware.

Horsepucky. I've never gotten spyware from Real Player.

Alias

!