Real Player vs. Windows Media

Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)
8 answers Last reply
More about real player windows media

    Windows Media Player
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player

    RealPlayer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Player

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
    >or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)

    RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
    people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
    work-around: Real Alternative at
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    In news:09BDD6E2-109D-469E-9EAE-083FD9F60447@microsoft.com,
    A <A@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Does one do something different than the other? Are having
    > both an
    > advantage or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better?
    > Thanks
    > :)

    RealPlayer is an obnoxious intrusive program that may contain
    spyware. I wouldn't have it on my system.

    The problem is that Media Player doesn't play RA files, so
    without RealPlayer, you need an alternative program to play them.
    Jet Audio, Real Alternative, and WinAmp, and perhaps others, are
    all better choices.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:15:03 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    wrote:

    >RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
    >people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
    >work-around: Real Alternative at
    >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

    And Winamp is less obtrusive than both.
    http://www.winamp.com/

    Thanks to all. I have read that Real takes up a lot of power and, yes,
    spyware. I'll check out the websites you all listed.

    "Connor" wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:15:03 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
    > >people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
    > >work-around: Real Alternative at
    > >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    >
    > And Winamp is less obtrusive than both.
    > http://www.winamp.com/

    Some web sites only use WM and others use RP.

    Alias

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 05:31:01 -0700, "A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Does one do something different than the other? Are having both an advantage
    >or can one be dumped? If so, which one is better? Thanks :)

    The real question is which will work with the streams you want to use.

    If one is "better" but the stream you want is in the other format you
    may still need the other.

    Real Player can be used with Windows Media Streams but I think it may
    be using wmdmhelper.dll to run pieces of Windows Media Player behind
    the scenes. So I'm not sure RP can STILL play WM streams without WMP's
    being installed.

    There's a bunch of open source (free and free source code if you can
    read it) stuff including Media Player Classic and codecs which permit
    MPC to play Real and Quicktime streams. (Real Alternative, Quicktime
    Alternative) but I'm not sure they will work with everything,
    especially newer streams or web sites which don't load standalone
    players but use web browser plugins.

    "A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all. I have read that Real takes up a lot of power and, yes,
    > spyware.

    Horsepucky. I've never gotten spyware from Real Player.

    Alias
    I'll check out the websites you all listed.

    > "Connor" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:15:03 -0400, Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >RealPlayer plays the proprietary RealMedia streams. WMP doesn't. May
    >> >people will tell you that Real is spyware-laden. There is a
    >> >work-around: Real Alternative at
    >> >http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    >>
    >> And Winamp is less obtrusive than both.
    >> http://www.winamp.com/