Router that has port access control vs time?

Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
pulling the plug.

Any thoughts?

trs80 wrote:

> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
> access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
> the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
> pulling the plug.

While I'm not sure about hardware that'll do this, there are numerous
software programs that were designed just for this purpose.

Notan

trs80,
I know that the D-Link 624 wireless router does. I am pretty sure that most
of their routers do have that feature, under parental controls. It appears
Belkin's, are under the manual firewall configuration set-up. You should be
able to go to the manufacturers' websites, and look at the manuals for the
routers they offer. Your will need Adobe Acrobat to read the *.PDF files for
them.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

trs80 wrote:

> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
> www
> access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or
> by
> the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
> pulling the plug.

While I'm not sure about hardware that'll do this, there are numerous
software programs that were designed just for this purpose.

Notan

ricardo

trs80 wrote:
> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
> access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
> the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
> pulling the plug.
>
> Any thoughts?

Netgear DG384 or DG384G does the job.
ricardo

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> trs80 wrote:
>> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
>> www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port
>> or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs
>> manually pulling the plug.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
> Netgear DG384 or DG384G does the job.
> ricardo

So do all the Linksys I've owned.

i have Linksys BEFSR41 and it does not have that feature. Far as I can tell
the only Linksys that claims the feature is the BEFSX41 with VPN.

> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>> trs80 wrote:
>>> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
>>> www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable
>>> port or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours
>>> vs manually pulling the plug.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>> Netgear DG384 or DG384G does the job.
>> ricardo
>
> So do all the Linksys I've owned.

Hmm, I would swear my router does, but I've reflashed it with third-party
firmware, so I can't really look.

Tom
"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i have Linksys BEFSR41 and it does not have that feature. Far as I can
>tell the only Linksys that claims the feature is the BEFSX41 with VPN.
>>
>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message

>>> Netgear DG384 or DG384G does the job.
>>> ricardo
>>
>> So do all the Linksys I've owned.

i just bought the BEFSRX41 tonight and installed it. It does have that
feature. the BEFSR41 does not. At least as far as the factory firmware
goes. If there is aftermarket firmware that supports this feature I would
be very interested in it. The user interface and feature set is still crude
at best for the Access COntrol capability

> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
> www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port
> or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs
> manually pulling the plug.
>
> Any thoughts?

My D-Link 604 does this, and it's over 2 years old and primitive by current
standards.

Simply log to the router, advanced tab/filters tab/ then choose to filter by
IP address of the machine in question. Below that are days and times when
that/those IP's can be blocked from accessing the web.

Stew

I don't know if it does, as the router is not in use at the moment, but
check out www.sveasoft.com Lots of features.

>i just bought the BEFSRX41 tonight and installed it. It does have that
>feature. the BEFSR41 does not. At least as far as the factory firmware
>goes. If there is aftermarket firmware that supports this feature I would
>be very interested in it. The user interface and feature set is still
>crude at best for the Access COntrol capability

>> Hmm, I would swear my router does, but I've reflashed it with third-party
>> firmware, so I can't really look.
>>
>> Tom
>> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>i have Linksys BEFSR41 and it does not have that feature. Far as I can
>>>tell the only Linksys that claims the feature is the BEFSX41 with VPN.
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

trs80,
Remember that these router ip filters settings, will only be effective in
controlling the PC's access to the web. If you have multiple users sharing
the same PC, you will need to make changes in each user's browser settings
to be more secure, if multi-users are set-up. But most importantly, parental
control, for children's access to the web, should never be relinquished to
PC hardware and/or software. That is still the parent's responsibility.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
> www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port
> or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs
> manually pulling the plug.
>
> Any thoughts?

uuuh....yea right......you werent breast fed were you?
"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> trs80,
> Remember that these router ip filters settings, will only be effective in
> controlling the PC's access to the web. If you have multiple users sharing
> the same PC, you will need to make changes in each user's browser settings
> to be more secure, if multi-users are set-up. But most importantly,
> parental
> control, for children's access to the web, should never be relinquished to
> PC hardware and/or software. That is still the parent's responsibility.
>
> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
>> www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port
>> or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs
>> manually pulling the plug.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

Hi!

> Any thoughts?

The old Microsoft access points I have (MN-500 and 700 IIRC) both offer this
feature. You can block an IP for a specified time or entirely.

This isn't quite bulletproof, as the person being blocked could just
theoretically change their IP...but my little brothers don't know that and
I'm using DHCP for the most part...

William

Just out of curiosity does the BEFSRX41 'brake' the connection once made?

It's been my experience that it will block the connection at the specified
time, but if the connection has already been made, the state table (which
bypasses the rule structure) will continue it until it's manually closed.

Just curious.

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> i just bought the BEFSRX41 tonight and installed it. It does have that
> feature. the BEFSR41 does not. At least as far as the factory firmware
> goes. If there is aftermarket firmware that supports this feature I would
> be very interested in it. The user interface and feature set is still
crude
> at best for the Access COntrol capability

Yeah, that helps.

Helps convince me you're a troll.

Tell us the problem. The specific problem. We're dying to know!