Drop-Down Arrow When Saving Files/Takes a while to show op..

Angel

Hello All,
This is a bit ridiculous I think. About three users in another Windows
site(different subnet & physical location), when they save files either with
Office word or excel or any other application & navigate thru the drop-down
arrow to select a share on a local server, it takes a while to actually show
selections to save files.
What's up with that?
Thanks,
Angel

Usual cause is the user has mapped drives that are unavailable, so the
system is timing out waiting for them to respond. Have the user open My
Computer" and r-click on and Disconnect any "red X'ed" drive mappings.
That should take tare of the ridiculous part.

Angel wrote:
> Hello All,
> This is a bit ridiculous I think. About three users in another Windows
> site(different subnet & physical location), when they save files
> either with Office word or excel or any other application & navigate
> thru the drop-down arrow to select a share on a local server, it
> takes a while to actually show selections to save files.
> What's up with that?
> Thanks,
> Angel

It is waiting to see all navigatable storage devices. So if you have a
CD in the CD player, it has to wait to read that CD. Same with Network
Drives, USB/Firewire storage devices, floppy disks, etc.

A PITA isn't it? MS should just write it so that is doesn't wait for
everything to be readable but have the wait be done when a storage
device is selected. But MS doesn't have a large staff to think about
how to make computing more easier for the end user. They spend much
more time, energy, and money trying to micromanage how an end user can
use the software.

--
Peace!
Kurt